Does the High ever go away. • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Does the High ever go away.
 Post Posted: Tue 03 Oct 2006 03:28 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1343
Experience: More than 10 years
i am new to Bail Enforcement with arrests still in single digits. However I have noticed that after finishing a job I can't fall asleep for about 24 hours or so I'm so pumped up. "nothing wrong with being pumped up, but other than drinking many beers, does anyone have other ways to unwind?"

Mark C. Cavendish is a Certified Fugitive Recovery Agent, P.O.S.T. Certified by the State of Colorado and registered with the Arizona Department of Insurance. Member of the National Surety Investigators Network #MC806, The U.S. Professional Bail Bond Investigators Association, and a Life Member of The U.S. Coalition of Bail recovery Agents "Cobra" Control # 1058. Serveing Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico.
phone 520.850.7490 24/7/365

"Sub Rosa"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 03 Oct 2006 04:54 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
1) I am usually so fatigued after the long hours of pounding the streets, writng reports, surveillance's etc that falling asleep is not an issue.

2) Next, once I close out 1 case it's on to the next one. Not to rain on your parade, but after awhile it all sort of becomes "routine" like any other job. So you exonerated a bond...whoopeee...that's 1 out of how many ?

3) The most I ever apprehended in a single 24 hour period was 3 seperate fugitives in 3 seperate parts of my area...which takes in 4 counties locally. During the actual take down part and cuffing, does my adrenaline really kick in. Then, it slows down and the stress sets in because I have to watch the fugitive during transport, then I have to wait on the jail to recieve him/her. Only until the time when the jail signs my paperwork do I breathe easily. Then, depedning on the time, my team and I will usually go eat somewhere to do our after action report. discuss what we did right/wrong and how to do it better/safer next time.

4) To quote a line from the movie "Navy Seals" and Charlie Sheen and his commanding officer: "That high is not the one you are looking for". In my opinion, if you are getting THAT pumped up about simply apprehending someone then that tells me you are getting too worked up about it.

5) Alot of my guys work regular jobs. We have gone and done apprehensions within minutes of them having to be at them. To us, it's no big deal. We apprehend, I cut them loose, I process the fugitive into the jail, they go to work, or on thier dates, home to thier families, whatever, I then collect the fee from the client and I settle up with my guys the next time I see them.

6) Balance: This job is exactly that: Just a job, like anything else it has to be balanced in your life schedule against your friends, families, other hobbies, interests, etc. especially when you have a dozen different clients, your own call 24/7, and you have a case load that equals or surpasses some PD's. There were times when I actually turn my cell phone off, just so I can have some "down time" like reading a novel, seeing a movie, or going fishing.

This job was here before I came around, and it hopefully will still be here after I pass. Same goes for you. Just look at your job as exactly that a job. No different than being a chef, carpenter, plumber, etc.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 03 Oct 2006 09:24 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Ruffin I am with you on this and will just add that when I do this it is so low key that sometimes it is hard to stay AWAKE but I never lose focus.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 03 Oct 2006 10:35 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Mark,

The adreneline rush is usually there for the actual take-down, but most are so low-key that it is quickly gone. You always have to be on your toes and expect the worst, but with time it just becomes a way of life. Enjoy the excitement while it's there, and yes, it does go away...

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject: high
 Post Posted: Tue 03 Oct 2006 14:06 
in memoriam

with more than 2400 apprehensions as a cop and bea i can say the high does go away after a while you will notice that after a pop you calm down quicker and quicker unless you have a problem ie gunfire ,fight, resist etc. this will cause a higher and longer high--may it never happen to you

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 03 Oct 2006 16:46 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
My adreniline rush comes after I cash the check.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 03 Oct 2006 20:09 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Amen Chuck on the humor. Everyone gets some kind of a rush but it has been explained very well by others.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 03 Oct 2006 23:16 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Yeah, the check for a payment of a completed job is a nice "rush" but it doesn't compare to a "job well done" from the bondsman or your local LE, or even your personal feelings. We have made easy apprehensions that make good pay, and those that are difficult for little pay. It all depends on your contacts and the bond agent.

Every apprehension you make is another criminal that is off the streets, no matter if it is a felony or misdeamenor crime. We all have to pay our bills, but some of it is personal to the bond agent and/or to us. I am a bond agent, but started out with hubby as a BEA, working for many other bond agents. I have very few "skips" because of my business practices, but we still work for some agents who always pay at least our minimum or more. There are some who we get less pay on, but do more work for so it all works out in the end.

We recently brought back a sex offender from another state, that the bondsman considered no risk security wise, if anyone actually found him. He had sent other agents to find him, but they had come back with no information and no defendant. This was a major bond forfeiture if the guy wasn't found, and it was just a coincidence that we had a personal trip planned and some extra time in the area he was in.

The bondsman was correct, in that there was no fight and no problem with the apprehension or transport. The bondsman didn't expect my resources, and didn't expect us to do more than some "unsuccesful" research while we were there. Without going into detail, I made one phone call, and had the necessary location info within 45 minutes. The apprehension was made within an hour, and we brought the guy back to face his charges. Due to personal issues, the guy was turned over to local BEA's who presented him at the jail. No names were ever mentioned (we needed it that way) but we made the local newspapers, even if some of their facts regarding the true state of apprehension were later corrected.

The professional contacts that we make on these professional forums are invaluable, and this has been proven over and over. No one is an island unto themselves, and I cannot stress the information, assistance, and information that we have received and the accomplishments that we have made because of them.

Enjoy the rush, but humble yourself enough to ask for help, and you will know the true joy of success. I consider it a privilege to be in this forum, and accept any assistance and advice I receive.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject: paid
 Post Posted: Wed 04 Oct 2006 01:04 
in memoriam

Getting the check for the skip is like whip cream in your hot chocolate--just makes the thing better--as Kathey says use the resources around you calm down- try not to work up to a frenzy--THINK--CONCENTRATE--each apprehension is different and has different problems--you will learn to control your adrenalin release--remember things go to crap in the blink of an eye--do not get complacent- do not say this will be an easy pop-plan every pop as your life and the life of your crew depends on your plan--make no mistake it does--be pleasently surprised when the pop goes easy--here is the hard part-- take your time but rush--that means take the needed time to plan-to get the proper intel-to get your crew briefed and ready-to alert the proper authorities--than strike with the speed of light-close off all the skips exits and cuff him or her before they can organize their thoughts and get into a counter attack--I USE THE TERM SURROUND AND DROWN--it is a term from firefighting it means pour water from all around the fire and overwhelm it..I overwhelm skips with manpower and speed--i do not move fast but my people do--do not think because a bond is small it is easy--some of the smallest bonds can be the most dangerous---good luck in this disfunctional field and stay safe

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 04 Oct 2006 02:59 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1343
Many thanks to all that have responded. A lot to think about. I have found that in a short period of time I have made more mistakes than I have space to list here. I have gone out alone when my backup did not show up. I have been shorted money. I have been lax on my homework. "I guess it comes has no suprise to vets. here that just because your guy is wanted for something minnor it would help to know that he is a Blackbelt, EX biker etc. etc. I have learned one thing. "I never wanted to be the guy saying, It would have helped to know that before." However I have found that the best payoff is picking my son up at daycare. "Word of my job travled fast among 4 yr. olds." I felt like ar rockstar." The hardest thing so far is people asking for advice on how to get into this business? "I just say I have only been doing this about 3 mos. or so, ask someone that knows what the hell there doing. I do however wish I would have started this 25 years ago when I first heard of it. It's like living a dream.

Mark C. Cavendish is a Certified Fugitive Recovery Agent, P.O.S.T. Certified by the State of Colorado and registered with the Arizona Department of Insurance. Member of the National Surety Investigators Network #MC806, The U.S. Professional Bail Bond Investigators Association, and a Life Member of The U.S. Coalition of Bail recovery Agents "Cobra" Control # 1058. Serveing Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico.
phone 520.850.7490 24/7/365

"Sub Rosa"

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion