Any tips for a Tennessee recovery? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Any tips for a Tennessee recovery?
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Sep 2006 20:20 

We have to go to TN to pick up a skip, possibly tomorrow AM. I looked at their laws and everything seems fine. I just wondered if there were any "unwritten gotcha's" that I should be aware of?
How does PD generally feel about BEA's in TN?
Also, one question that I'm sure the veterans will have a "very expert" viewpoint on, that I would love to hear....
On the topic of state laws.... there isn't much reference to "passing through" with a fugitive vs. operating in that state. Most references refer to arresting/operating in that state. If we get the fugitive in TN and everything goes well.... but are passing through Kentucky (with a handcuffed fugitive)... BUT.... with said act being done in TN... how does this usually relate?
What have your experiences been?
Thanks in advance and keep up the good work. It is sure good to have a resource filled with "well known" names in this industry. I'm sure a lot of people look up to those guys, myself included! ;)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Sep 2006 20:47 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
I think it depends on what part of TN you are going to. We have only made one pick up there that I remember, in Knoxville, and had no trouble. The local LE was very helpful, led us to the location, allowed us to cuff and take the guy, even though he was obviously tweaked out of his head, with drugs on the table in front of him. They only said that they would "clean up" after we left.

My GA just had her team make a trip to Memphis though, and LE told them to leave, period. Would not let them search the residence or even check out additional locations. The team had contacted a local agency for assistance, and they also seemed afraid of the LEO's. They got a copy of the police report and hope to tech out of the bond that way. Yes, they may could have pushed the issue, but nobody wants to risk an arrest and expensive trial if they can avoid it, right or wrong.

The best thing that I have found is to check the laws, and check with local PD for their requirements and/or opinions. If they are adverse to you even when you are in compliance, know this in advance and make arrangements for the consequenses. Go over their heads, talk to the local judge, the state's AG for an opinion, etc. Politics are politics, and you have to make sure to CYA no matter where you are or what you are doing.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Sep 2006 20:55 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
As to transport, I do not believe that a state that you are travelling through can take a prisoner from you as long as you did not do the pick up in their state and were only transporting through it. I can't remember what state we were in, but we had 2 guys secured in a motel room and were standing outside when one of them decided to dial 911 to test the validity of this. He had made several comments about it that day.

Four squad cars pulled in on us and asked if we had problems. We told them no, then they said that a 911 hang up call had come from our room. We explained who we were and that we were taking the guys back to CO on a bail FTA. A couple of the LEO's walked into the room, saw the guys properly secured, laughed at them and walked back out. I guess our "smart guy" got his answer. Needless to say, he lost his phone priveleges after that.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Sep 2006 20:59 

Thanks for the info Kathy! Much appreciated.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Sep 2006 21:00 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2065
Experience: 7 - 10 years
You probably want to call Mindtracker "Ruffin" on this one. I wasn't able to go to the new TN certification as he was. But, I have worked in TN many, many times prior to their new regulations. I know you have to do your typical LEO check in. And if I'm not mistaken, their new regulations require you to turn your fugitive over to your nearest PD. "IF" that is the case, the fugitive will have to be entered in the NCIC, extraditable by your home state. Then Kentucky will not be factored in. Extradition will be handled by the states.

If TN does allow you to transport the fugitive once captured, DO NOT violate any ethics of basic Bail Enforcement and return your fugitive quick and safe...

Good Luck...

Anniston, AL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Sep 2006 21:43 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Experience: More than 10 years
Terry,
Give Joe Stiles of Black Aces a call, his number is 865-577-4255
He is a good friend of ours and can answer any question you would have for the state of TN. He is out of Knoxville, TN

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Sep 2006 22:11 

Hey thanks......

You guys are awesome......
.....oops, girls too. ;)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Sep 2006 22:25 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Terry
You must have the TN certification, period. I am sure there are people that have gone in and out without issue, but luck and the law are two different lessons. I agree with contacting joe Stiles, I have done pick ups with him as well as taught the TN class with him and others.
I have done recoveries in kY, under special circumstances (details privately upon request) and would not be caught dead in that state with a weapon or a fugitive, period. Each time I was successful there, I was told do not pass go, don't stop to pee, get your trash out of my state!

If Joe can't help you, I am positive that he can point you to someone who can assist you. We have often relayed people for future considerations :) We have also relayed captured fugitives to establish a reliable network of respected professionals. I picked one up for him for free just to be able to meet him. He paid me anyway...such class!

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 20 Sep 2006 00:05 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Regarding extradition issues, you may want to research the U.C.E.A Uniform Criminal Extradition Act.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion