Badge questions • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 12 Sep 2006 15:19 

Just thought I would mention this: If the defendant requests to be read his rights, you can let them know they have already be miranda"ized" for their crime. You are not arresting them for the crime they committed initially, just providing a shuttle service back to county for FTA.

Great posts here guys!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 12 Sep 2006 18:40 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
RW,

In CA you also must take a 8 hour Security Guard Powers of Arrest Course and the bail agent prelicensing class. The BEA or Bail Fugitive Recovery Person, as they are called in CA, do not get any type of license afterwards. Thats the problem I have with CA.

I will be working some BEA's, PI's and other bail agents in a couple of months to try and get recovery specifc training and licensing in place.

As it stands now in CA, only persons with a CCW can carry or under Penal Code Sec. 12031(k). That section states that a citizen making or attempting to make a legal arrest can carry a firearm. The problem comes when a local LEO or DA decides how to interpet 12031(k).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 12 Sep 2006 19:20 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
TS,

Yeah, I kinda lumped it all together. I actually took 2 seperate courses, and I was told by the instructor from the bail resource center that I didn't need the bail agent class since I was not actually going to be writing bail bonds. Additionally, we were told that the Guard Card training did not apply to us as we were not uniformed PPO's or engaged in related fields. However, the company I worked for wanted us to have them anyway, but I left before that scheduled training took place.

I have all of those certificates packed away somewhere, along with my TN, GA, and other credentials/training.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 12 Sep 2006 21:42 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Yeah thats one of the problems in CA. Many of the "instructors" do not understand PC 1299 that set the requirements for BFRPs.

Although by law, you would have to carry proof of completion of the bail class, the POST 832 and the Guard class with you when making a p/u.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 12 Sep 2006 23:27 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
That I did. I have a folder with all of my training certificates in it that stayed in my duty bag or in my brief case. I did complete the 832 and the 1299 courses. My company as well as all of the instructors that I had did stress to us that we had to have those certificates with us at all times when working on a case.

We were also told that as far as carrying a weapon went, we did not need the guard card. That we were allowed to carry one unconcealed during the apprehension only. Once we had our suspect in custody or we were finished interviewing and searching a place we then had to remove our weapons, unload them, and store them in a manner compliant with Ca. law.

It was a pain in the butt, however, it's how we had to do it there.

I also saw where there is a lot of conflict between government agencies, la w enforcement agencies, and the recovery agents. This problem worsened by jurisdiction. Take LA County. The LA cops could care less what kind of training you had, or whether or not you were compliant with Ca. law. I was told repeatedly by my former company that LA cops would sieze our weapons and arrest us every chance they got simply because they don't like bounty hunters.

I was also told that allegedly in the San Francisco area that they wouldn't even recognize a state issued CCW. Now I never went there, but our team that worked that area were constantly having troubles there.

That Diane Fienstein or whatever her name is caused our industry alot of problems.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 14 Sep 2006 12:47 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

I am running an experiment right now... I laid out an ID card in Corel Draw with photo and everything. Exported the whole thing to a picture file, emailed the photo (layout) to Walmart's photo labs and will have them print it for me at my local Walmart on photo paper.

Then I can have it laminated... if it works Illl let you know, and I may start up my own side biz of doing ID cards for licensed guys.

Winner do what losers refuse to do...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 14 Sep 2006 15:42 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

I was told repeatedly by my former company that LA cops would sieze our weapons and arrest us every chance they got simply because they don't like bounty hunters.

I've had many run in's with LAPD, LASD and CHP while doing recovery work in the Hollywood/West Hollywood area. They've never taken issue with me even when they knew that I was armed. They were always very helpful. Just my 2 cents.

Semper Fi

Moses

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 15 Sep 2006 18:16 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

The pics came in... they were perfect.

Look in the AGENT ONLY SECTION if you are interested in custom layouts.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 15 Sep 2006 18:24 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
I looked - but I could not find the pics.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 15 Sep 2006 18:31 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

try again :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion