Impersonation Issue Again • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Impersonation Issue Again
 Post Posted: Sun 10 Sep 2006 06:37 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
Recently an Alabama BEA was operating outside of his normal AO. He and his partner were "Tacked out" , black BDU's, BPV's, exposed side arms, etc. On top of all of this they were driving a decommissioned cop car (Ford Crown Vic) and they stopped at a convenience store in the town of Fort Payne, Al. An duty Ft. Payne leo observed them at the gas station. He noticed 1 of the individuals was wearing a black style ball cap with the words "S.W.A.T." stamped on it.

Curious as to why an Anniston, Al. "SWAT" team was in his area he ran the cars tags, got the phone number to Anniston's police dept. and called them. Needless to say they disavowed any activity in that area and when told who the car was registered to the pd explained that the person in question wasn't a cop at all but a local bounty hunter.

Well then the Anniston PD called the bail bondsman this BEA worked for and advised him of what had happened. Additionally, the Ft. Payne PD is possibly considering bringing charges against this individual for..guess what ?

IMPERSONATING A POLICE OFFICER

This isn't this team's first issue with this. Allegedly they had a similar situation in Fl. this past year, and 1 in Chicago. I guess they will have to go to jail eventually before they learn the lesson.

"If you look like a Duck....."

Last edited by SpanielPI on Sun 10 Sep 2006 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: impersonating
 Post Posted: Sun 10 Sep 2006 06:51 
in memoriam

These as-holes have earned the right to be charged and go to jail - it sounds like they work very hard to earn the jail privilage--jokers like this make our job much harder and more dangerous

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 11 Sep 2006 08:49 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Apparently this person is well-known in his AO since they knew exactly who it was...

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 11 Sep 2006 12:21 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I guess this goes to my previous post about what you appear to be and the liability or legal ramifications that it could lead too. He did not listen one little bit and if I or many others on here had a choice we would encourage the local P.D. to press charges and help them with the information needed to show them that not all of us are idiots like this team was and is.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 12 Sep 2006 01:30 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
I agree, Bob. It encompasses the issues of dress, badges, vehicles used, and overall presentation of ourselves.

In Colorado, it is illegal for anyone to wear attire that says "Police" or any other designation that implies any association with LE. Many of these saying "NYPD" or "NYFD" are purchased by individuals and worn in support of those agencies after 9/11 and not intended as any form of impersonation. The law is seldom specifically enforced, no matter who is wearing what, unless a true impersonation issue arises.

Anyone is potentially allowed to carry a badge identifying themselves as a PI, since there are no requirements to purchase this badge other than to declare one's self as such. BEA badges (limited requirements and proof of certification) are also pretty much available depending on your point of purchase.

Ocassionally we feel the need to "dress out" for a dangerous situation, but are usually attired in "street" clothing. No matter what our attire, badges in, badges out, demeanor, or any other public projection of ourselves, is exactly what it is. We are BEA's or PI's, searching for someone and/or enforcing a private contract. Anyone who assumes or attempts to identify us as LE is quickly told that we are NOT LE and assume NO pretense of being LE.

Anyone who presents themselves otherwise is detrimental to our profession and is the cause of much of our problems with our individual state laws and local LE. Any true pro will agree that these renegades, who refuse to comply, should be prosecuted and barred from continuing their actions. We have enough trouble working our chosen professions without having to be associated with these idiots.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 18 Oct 2006 12:01 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

OK...I will admit, I drive a White Ford CV ex-police squad. I used it when I worked as a VOULUNTEER Police Officer, and had to use are own POV for details. I have never had any propblems with any LEO's about my POV, I usally get a friendly wave, and I'll wave right back.

No that I am in the Bail Bond field. When I am asked what I do, or the "are you a cop?" question, I tell just tell them 'Nope' When I work in my BEA capacity, I usally wear a polo shirt/jeans, or a nice button-up shirt, and slacks.

I will only wear "Raid style" equipment, and clothing when NEEDED, and only with the approval of the Local PD, or Sheriff's Office.

Safety first.

midwestbailenforcementagency@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 18 Oct 2006 15:44 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
there's nothing wrong with owning or using certain types of equipment. it is the management of said equipment that is becoming the issue.

Post subject: Re: Impersonation Issue Again
 Post Posted: Tue 08 Mar 2011 09:31 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
well well I cannot just use the word "bump" i must have at least 10 characters

so BumpBump :lol:

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Tue 17 Jan 2012 13:10 

I gave a little overview of myself a couple of days ago in the "Introduction" section. I am just starting my business and have been considering what type of vehicle(s) to purchase.

I have considered an ex-law enforcement vehicle for a couple of reasons:

1. There is a reason why law enforcement agencies use them and cab companies use them when LE is finished with them. They are beefed up for the purposes of being a "work" vehicle. They won't get that type of abuse from us but I have to assume over the long term they will be reliable and a strong work vehicle.

2. I like the idea of the "cage" in the back. The last thing I want is someone driving one of my vehicles distracted because of what is going on in the back seat. I'm sure that 99% of you think this is unnecessary but it's something I've considered. The used car dealer that I am going to purchase from removes the cage but has offered to put one back in for me.

I am specifically looking at Chevy Impalas rather than Ford Crown Vics. Most of the police departments around here use Fords (with the excpetion of the Philadelphia PD that has some Chevys). If the car is white or black and white when I purchase it will be painted a neutral color prior to being used. I don't want anyone to assume that we are anything other than what we are.

Sharing my thoughts above and in relation to this thread I'm wondering what type of vehicles the rest of you use. The last thing I want is for anyone to think that we are impersonating LE but I think a good argument can be made for the type of vehicle I am considering purchasing.

Post Posted: Tue 17 Jan 2012 13:56 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Was in Altoona Alabama,near Fort Payne a few months ago, picked up the defendant in my Ford Explorer and returned him to NC. Went very well with the exception of the transmission going out on my way home. Going to stick with the ole Explorer. The less attention I get the better i feel.

Take care

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage