Request for Information • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Request for Information
 Post Posted: Sun 19 Jun 2005 13:46 

Good day all.

I caught a feature on South African television regarding fugitive recovery in the U.S. It peaked my interest, as I am interested in writing, and would like to base a story on fugitive recovery.

While trawling the web looking for more information, I stumbled across this site, and figured it would do little harm to post a message, asking for more information.

From what I have gathered, fugitive recovery is not a federal agency per se, but is administered by private companies who operate according to laws specific to each individual state, under a mandate to track down and apprehend bail jumpers. Where does the order to track someone down come from? Police or the courts? What would the rights of a recovery agent be if he was licensed in one state, yet pursued a fugitive into another state?

Links, info and anything else relevant in getting the work and rules surrounding fugitive recovery would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to email me if you wish.

Many thanks for the trouble.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 19 Jun 2005 16:29 

The capius ("warrant") is issued by the local magistrate (a low level judge) upon request of a bail bondsman. Possession of this capius gives the agent the right to apprehend while acting within the laws of whichever state he/she is located.

An agent may pursue into another state only while following the laws of that state. Some states require that agents be licensed, some do not, and others do not permit bail recovery in any form.

Post subject: Material
 Post Posted: Mon 20 Jun 2005 07:15 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: More than 10 years
If you haven't done so already, www.uenforcebail.com may have suitable material for a writing project inasmuch that the questions you asked are in fact answered in great detail; moreover, as far as fictional works involving bail enforcement go, you may want to take a look at "ALLIED BAIL AGENCIES: Masterless."

I must say that your desire to learn as much as is possible without actually getting out there under a mentor indicates that you're doing what a writer is supposed to be doing for a project--learning.

Good Luck,

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 20 Jun 2005 10:27 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
Sir,

You may also want to research the general authority under which most of us operate under.

United States Supreme Court Decision: Taylor vs Taintor, 16 Wall, 366. I believe the year was 1873, others will correct that date if ti is incorrect.

You may also wish to contact Scott Harrell of Compass Point Investigations, www.bondforfeitures.com. He has assimilated a mass of information on the history of this industry.

Some of the most famous "Bounty Hunters" that you may find of interest are Ralph "Papa" Thorsen and Bob Burton. Mr. Thorsen is deceased, but Mr. Burton is not. Mr. Burton has written 2 books that I know of regarding Bounty Hunting.

Good luck in your writing endeavor. Please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of further assistance.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion