Dangerous Areas • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Dangerous Areas
 Post Posted: Thu 05 May 2005 11:51 

Just curious. What type of areas do you find most difficult/dangerous to work in. also what do you do to overcome these obstacles. Finally is there any place or area you refuse to work in?

Thanks,
Ryan

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 05 May 2005 12:36 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Experience: More than 10 years
Ryan,
This is my opinion only, i find that large apartment complexes give us the most trouble as there tends to be alot of third parties and groups of people in a close area. As to dangerous we come prepared for the worst and hope for the best, we try and keep a level head and an open mind at all times,but at the same time we treat every case from a $500 bond to a $50,000 bond the same as to things could go bad at a moments notice. You will come to find that you can not pick and choose the area's you would like to work in i have been to High class people's homes to the worst inner-city hoods you just never know where each case will take you.

Regards,

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 05 May 2005 12:49 

Ryan,

Personally, I find that the most dangerous areas to go into are around the 76th block of East LA and the immediate surrounding area. Overcoming the dangers of the area is easily fixed by going undercover as a transient.

As DMARTZ stated, there is not any area that we are not willing to work in.

Best Regards,

Matthew Post
Omega Fugitive Recovery

Post subject: Good Question
 Post Posted: Thu 05 May 2005 14:12 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Gee, when I read this thread my mind started swirling with vivid imagery of so many different places and people and all of which makes this a tough question to answer considering all the potential variables.

I don't think that one can possibly say that one spot is any more a hazard than another. During incidents involving potentially lethal outcomes, there really wasn't a common denominator in terms of neighborhood condition. Of coarse hearing automatic gunfire nearby can be a bit unsettling.

I'll defer to my fellow BEAs for more comments at this time.

Rex

Post subject: DANGEROUS PLACES
 Post Posted: Sat 07 May 2005 05:57 
in memoriam

IN THIS BUSINESS WE ARE IN ALL PLACES THAT ARE DANGEROUS FROM THE GANG INFESTED PROJECTS OF A LARGE CITY TO THE WOODS OF VERMONT-EVEN GOING TO THESE PLACES (TRAVELING BY CAR IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS - LOOK AT THE STATS FOR PEOPLE THAT DRIVE AS MUCH AS US-I DO APPROX ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES A YEAR)
WHAT WE HAVE TO REMEMBER IS WE ARE ON THE SKIPS HOME TURF AND HE OR SHE HAS A GREAT HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE-DO NOT LET YOUR GUARD DOWN FOR A MINUTE THESE PEOPLE COME OUT OF NOWHERE AND DISAPPEAR JUST AS QUICKLY - THAT IS WHY I PREACH TACTICS SO MUCH -PROPER TACTICS HELP ELIMINATE SOME OF THE HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE.ENOUGH OF THIS I COULD WRITE PAGES ON THIS SUBJECT

HERE IS AN OFF CHUTE OF THIS SUBJECT-WHO IS THE MOST DANGEROUS TYPE PERSON TO HUNT? THE GANGBANGER-THE CAREER CRIMINAL-THE RAPIST-THE CHILD MOLESTER-THE DOPER-THE DRUG DEALER OR ANY OF THE MANY OTHER LOW LIFE CA-CA WE DEAL WITH? IN MY HUMBLE OPINION IT IS NONE OF THE ABOVE-MOST OF US HUNT THESE PEOPLE THE MINDSET THAT THESE SKIPS ARE DANGEROUS AND WE PROCEDE ACCORDINGLY-IN MY OPINION I BELIEVE IT IS THE POOR SLOB THAT HAS NEVER BEEN INCARCERATED BEFORE AND HE IS FACING PRISON TIME FOR A STUPID OFFENSE AND IS AFRAID BUBBA THE BUTT MAN (CATCH MY DRIFT I HOPE) IS GOING TO BE HIS BEST FRIEND. THIS SLOBS LAWYER ADVISES HIM HE WILL DO SOME TIME AND HE IS SO SCARED THAT HE SKIPS COURT AND HIDES IN HIS BEDROOM CLOSET UNDER A PILE OF CLOTHES AND BOXS WITH HIS 12 GUAGE SHOTGUN WHEN WE COME LOOKING-WE DROP OUR GUARD THINKING THAT THIS WILL BE AN EASY POP(ARE ANY REALLY EASY) AND FORGET ABOUT TACTICS AND SEACH PROCEDURES AND JUST BEFORE WE DIE WE ARE MET WITH THE MUZZLE OF SHOTGUN FROM ABOUT 1 FOOT AND WE MENTALLY SAY OH SH-T !!!!!! BEFORE THE BLAST HITS HOME.
REX, HADLEY, LAW, MICHAEL, ROBERT AND ALL THE REST OF THE PRO BEA ARE TRYING TO TAKE UP A COLLECTION FOR THE BEAS WIDOW AND KIDS - A WHOLE NEW STORM STARTS FOR BEA REFORM-THE SLOB PLEADS TEMPORARY INSANITY(AND SOME LIER ATTORNEY FROM THE ACLU GETS HIM OFF)WE ARE MADE TO LOOK LIKE A BLOOD THIRSTY GROUP OF COWBOYS AND VIGILANTES IN COURT-AND IN THE END THERE IS A CHILD ASKING HOW COME DADDY NOT COMING HOME? OR MAYBE A MOM GRIEVING FOR HER 22 YEAR OLD SON BECAUSE HE TOOK SOME 3 DAY WONDER COURSE AND BECAME A BEA WITH A SHINEY BADGE AND AN ID.THIS STORY DOES NOT END IT REPEATS ITSELF MANY TIMES AND DUE TO BLIND LUCK OR FATE IT DOES NOT HAPPEN EXACTLY THIS WAY BUT ON DARK DAY IT WILL--AND HADLEY AND REX AND LAW AND ALL THE REST WILL SHED A TEAR AND SAY WISH WE GOT OUR MESSAGE OUT BETTER

Post subject: On Point
 Post Posted: Sat 07 May 2005 07:17 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Actually Hadley, I'd have to consider your visionary statement rather on point, and I say 'visionary' because a good BEA can see what may or may not be coming if a given state of affairs endures.

I can't recall exactly where or who said this, but "...fear the man who has nothing to lose" is good place to start in answering the original question.

For example, I was talking with man who wanted to beat someone up, which I advised against with some impression. The man referenced simply doesn't have anything going for himself whatever: no social life, no job, no family ties, no possessions, and seemingly to him, no future. In essence, he felt that had nothing to lose.

Perhaps this type of person would pose a greater risk compared to a person who owns his own house, provides income for his wife and children, and cannot afford to have his background tainted in any way for professional reasons--who can tell?

This shifting premise forms the beginning of the uncertain outcome when it comes to confronting a would-be arrestee; hence, never believe that any arrest is merely routine.

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 26 May 2005 16:01 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Sometimes the most dangerous are simply the most stupid. The seasoned criminals that you would expect to put up a fight simply give it up when we confront them. They might run or hide but only a few have actually tried to fight us. Of course we do go in well armed and treat every bond jumper as armed and dangerous until we have them in cuffs and in jail.

The reason I say stupid stems from an incident in Louisiana. We had been talking to this guy, his parents, and his cosigner trying to get him to come back to Colorado or pay the bond off. It was a $10K for a DUI (his 3rd in 2 years). He knew he was looking at time so he ran. We knew his whereabouts but not an exact address. We finally got an address and where he worked. The word came down that he was catching a ship to an offshore oil rig and would be gone 6 months. We headed out, driving all night to get there before he could catch the boat. We were in Shreveport about to head south to New Orleans when our bondsman called with the news that the guy had blown his brains out that night and the only info the detective could find was his bond paperwork. We had to call the detective and give him the parents' info. Apparently his work had tipped him off that we were on our way. When I talked to the detective he told me that the guy's roommate's girlfriend had found him and that the guy had an arsenal in the apartment. I hate to say it, but I'm glad he didn't decide to wait and take us with him.

A couple of days later the mom called and asked if we thought that he would still be alive if she had given us his address and we could have gotten him without him knowing we were coming. I was nice and just told her that was an answer she needed to decide for herself. He had told all of us that he was not coming back and was not going to jail.

As to the most dangerous places, I agree that apartment complexes make me uncomfortable because of the number of people around. You don't know who is who or what they might do. I also don't like the danger factor for bystanders if the person does pull something on us.

The scariest city I've ever been in is Newark, NJ. I will only say that we in no way blended in. It didn't help that we got there a few hours into the big blackout.

There are bad areas and bad people in every place you go. The best thing you can do is be prepared for anything and have plenty of backup. Most of the PD's will assist very willingly if you request it. We seldom have to use them but if we have reason to believe that it will get nasty or if it does turn bad we can always get assistance.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 26 May 2005 17:43 
in memoriam

No place is more dangerous than my second wife's house!

“What is sought is found... what is overlooked escapes” (Oedipus Rex)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 26 May 2005 20:56 

Kathy,
If you have to go back to Newark, let me know. I live in the next town over. I use to do police towing in the worst areas of Newark, and even the police wouldn't get out of their cars.
There is only one "safe" location in Newark. It's JJ's hot dog truck. It doesn't matter if your wealthy or hooked on crack...everyone gets along at JJ's. Weird isn't it?

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion