bondsmen in trouble • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: bondsmen in trouble
 Post Posted: Mon 18 Sep 2006 18:51 
in memoriam

vermont bondsmen who does his own apprehensions in deep ca-ca.he was there alone-with a female no less no back up--remember ca-ca happens when you least expect it--this is a good reason to hire pro bea

Burlington, Vermont - September 18, 2006

A Vermont bail bondsman has been arrested and charged with assault for allegedly pointing a gun at three people. Bail bondsman Vinny Zito, 51, admits he pulled a gun on three people in Burlington early Sunday morning. But he claims he should not have been arrested or charged, because it was a case of self-defense.

"So at this point, do I understand why they arrested me? I honestly don't. I mean, I believe from what I know, it was a self-defense situation," Zito told Channel 3 as he arrived at court Monday morning to be arraigned.

Burlington police say Zito, a former New York City cop who moved to Vermont six months ago to oversee the Zigma Bail Bond Company, illegally pulled a loaded 9-millimeter pistol on three unarmed men around 2:00 a.m. Sunday morning outside apartment #45 at 397 St. Paul Street.

"Basically I feared for my life. That's the bottom line. It's an occupational hazard. The Burlington Police determined I should be arrested. Nothing I could do. We cooperated and we're going to cooperate," said Zito.

Zito says he had driven to the apartments to determine whether he would return Danielle Churchill, 20, to prison for violating bail conditions. He had bailed her out two months ago for $10,000 after she was arrested for violating an abuse prevention order by allegedly engaging in a violent confrontation with her ex-husband.

The series of events started around 1:30 Sunday morning, when Williston Police pulled Churchill over for speeding and soon discovered she was driving without a license. They also suspected she had ben drinking. Williston police issued her a series of tickets, had her car towed, and then they called Zito. He drove to the scene and picked her up. Zito says he then drove to the Burlington apartments where she had allegedly been drinking earlier.

Zito says a resident at one of the apartments confirmed that Churchill had been drinking tequila earlier that night. Zito explains he was about to drive her to the Chittenden Regional Correctional Center in South Burlington to revoke her bail and have her re-imprisoned, when he was confronted by three belligerent strangers from another apartment, and at least one of them appeared to be very drunk.

Zito explained: "When one of 'em grabbed my jacket and saw my gun I figured they were gonna take the weapon and we'd have a problem. So at that point I drew my weapon, told 'em to back off, backed 'em off, put my weapon away, tried to retreat and get to the vehicle. They followed me to the vehicle, knocked me to the ground, took my wallet. I called 911, drew my weapon, again backed 'em off again, put the weapon away. When I called 911 they ran back to the enclosure there. The Burlington Police arrived and they determined that I should be arrested."

In court, Zito pled not guilty to felony aggravated assault for pulling the gun. He was also charged with domestic assault for allegedly manhandling Churchill, the woman he had bailed out. Police say it was charged as a "domestic assault" because she had been living at Zito's Essex home since he bailed her out two months ago, and police say Zito confessed he had established a sexual relationship with her. Police reportedly claims that Zito threatened to kill her during the incident at the St. Paul Street apartment.

Zito was released on conditions pending trial. He is permitted to operate his bail business, but he cannot carry any firearms. If convicted of the felony assault, by law, his bail bond license will automatically be permanently revoked.

Brian Joyce - Channel 3 News

All content © Copyright 2001 - 2006 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 18 Sep 2006 19:15 
in memoriam

BURLINGTON, Vermont, - September 19, 2006 - The news regarding Vermont bail bondsman Vinny Zito, 51, a retired New York City police officer, charged with felony aggravated assault and domestic assault, does not reflect on the bail industry as a whole.

On September 18, Mr. Zito pleaded not guilty in Chittenden District on a domestic assault complaint that he allegedly “manhandled” Danielle Churchill, 20, a woman for whom he had previously posted a $10,000 bail following her arrest for abuse of a protection order on her ex-husband. Zito admitted she has been living with him for about two months… ever since he posted her bail. Zito also admitted to police he had been having sexual relations with Churchill.

Additionally, he pleaded not guilty to a charge of aggravated assault for allegedly pulling a Glock, 9-millimeter firearm on three residents of the apartment building at 397 St. Paul Street where he resides.

Zito claims he was determining whether or not to take Churchill to the Chittenden Regional Correctional Center for violating bail conditions after the Williston police called him when she was stopped for several motor vehicle violations. Zito should know as a licensed bail bondsman that according to Vermont statutes, Chapter 229: BAIL AND RECOGNIZANCES Title 13: Crimes and Criminal Procedure, 13 V.S.A. § 7560a. … (f) No bond may be forfeited, in whole or in part, for violation of any condition of release other than a condition that the principal appear in court as required.

Bail bondsman provide a practical and necessary service to the criminal justice system while their bail enforcement agents account for an estimated 40,000 fugitive apprehensions per year throughout the United States without costing the taxpayer one single cent.

In my capacity as a bail enforcement agent, I have worked the streets of many cities and towns in Vermont for over 22 years. The bondsman I have dealt with are professional business people who strictly adhere to the law and steadfastly protect the rights of defendants while holding the safety of the public foremost in mind.

“What is sought is found... what is overlooked escapes” (Oedipus Rex)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 18 Sep 2006 20:20 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Obviously the main mistake was "establishing a sexual relationship" with the person he bonded out.

Based on his description of why he pulled his firearm I can't see that it wasn't self defense (and of course I'm assuming he can show where he was injured by the assailants and that his wallet was actually stolen and found on one of the three).

Of course this is all going to be muddied up by his personal relationship with the person he bonded.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath."
- Kingdom of Heaven

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 18 Sep 2006 20:24 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

We had a bondsman here that appeared before the licensing board on sexual complaints and lost his license, now he is looking at criminal charges. He threatened women with going back to jail if he did not get the ride he was asking for.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 18 Sep 2006 23:08 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
I think that is a common occurance with many bondsmen, Bob. I have personal opinions on this report, but am waiting to see further news reports before stating them.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Sep 2006 01:51 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2351
Experience: More than 10 years
He was thinking with the wrong head.

Omaha, Nebraska.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Sep 2006 05:00 
in memoriam

BURLINGTON FREE PRESS

Bondsman arrested on abuse charges

By Adam Silverman
Free Press Staff Writer

September 19, 2006

A Chittenden County bail bondsman was arraigned Monday on suspicion of assaulting a 20-year-old woman for whom he posted bond last month, and police said they are investigating whether the two had a "nonconsensual" sexual relationship.

Vincent Zito, 51, of Essex pleaded not guilty to a felony count of aggravated assault and a misdemeanor charge of domestic assault stemming from the early Sunday incident in Burlington. He was released on $20,000 bail, which was posted by his company, Vincent J. Zito Bail Bonds, according to records at Vermont District Court in Burlington.

The incident occurred at about 3:30 a.m. Sunday outside an apartment on St. Paul Street. Zito, armed with a loaded handgun, arrived at the apartment with the woman -- whom The Burlington Free Press is not identifying because police are investigating whether she was the victim of improper sexual conduct -- and threatened to kill the woman and a man who lived nearby, according to a sworn police statement written by Burlington police Cpl. Philip Small.

Zito did not return a message Monday seeking comment. His attorney, David Casier, reiterated his client's not-guilty plea when asked whether Zito was innocent.

"I would like to know what went on," Casier said. "I would like to get to the bottom of what actually took place."

About a month ago, Zito posted $10,000 bail for the woman, who was facing a misdemeanor charge of violating an abuse-prevention order in Rutland County, according to court records there. Afterward, he gave the woman a room in his house and a job with his bonding business, and the two had sexual contact, Small wrote in his account.

"She was indicating there was a nonconsensual relationship between the two of them, including being forced into some sexual acts," Walt Decker, deputy chief of the Burlington Police Department, said in an interview after Zito's arraignment Monday.

Sunday morning, according to police, Zito was angry because the woman had been drinking and was under age. He demanded she tell him where several friends lived, put her in his car and drove to the apartment, Small wrote. Zito was carrying his loaded Glock 9 mm semiautomatic in a holster, Small wrote.

Zito began yelling at two people who were outside the apartment. In the confrontation that ensued, Zito drew his gun and threatened to kill the woman and a neighbor when he tried to intervene, according to Small's account.

"The defendant said he would bust a cap in his hide," Small wrote. Both the woman and the neighbor feared for their lives, Small wrote.

Zito also hit the woman and threw her to the ground, according to Small's account.

Questioned by police, Zito said he was trying to take the woman into custody and return her to jail, Small wrote, but Zito had the woman in custody before the fracas began. Zito also offered different explanations for why he drew his gun -- self defense; the neighbor tried to take it -- and initially denied he and the woman were having a sexual relationship, Small wrote.

Casier, the defense lawyer, said the witnesses will be crucial to the case.

"Any two people will perceive the same event differently," he said. "This is going to be about witnesses and witness testimony and how witnesses perceive events."

Zito's next court appearance is a routine hearing scheduled for Oct. 11.

“What is sought is found... what is overlooked escapes” (Oedipus Rex)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Sep 2006 05:05 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1208
I believe I have seen this fellow Zito advertising his business in motorcycle publications as the "bondsman for bikers".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Sep 2006 05:29 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
come on people, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure this one out. She's too young to drink ? that means she is between the ages of 18-20...and Zito is 51 ?...think about it....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Sep 2006 08:52 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Think about what? :D. If he is guilty I am sure he will have his due.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage