Retain Free Directory Listings? • ADMINISTRATIVE SECTION • Fugitive Recovery Network News • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Standard (FREE) Listings?
Poll ended at Sat 07 Jul 2012 14:36
Keep FREE 31%  31%  [ 14 ]
$10 Annual Fee 36%  36%  [ 16 ]
$15 Annual Fee 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
$20 Annual Fee 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
$25 Annual Fee 27%  27%  [ 12 ]
Remove Them 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 45

Post subject: Re: Retain Free Directory Listings?
 Post Posted: Tue 26 Jun 2012 08:42 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
Well folks, I can't say I got any bail calls from my listing either. However I did get calls from other bail recovery agents with questions about NABBI or CA bail related issues.

But if you really want to hear about paying for something getting nothing, I spent $10k for radio spots since January 1 of this year. I got several calls but not one bond written in direct response to those ads.

Did people hear them? Yes. Did they call and ask about bailing someone out? Yes. Did they use my company? NO!

So, I have to change my message, target audience or method of delivery. It is called marketing but it is not a sure thing.

Quite honestly, my reason for a paid ad on this or any other bail forum type website would be to insure that the site stays viable. It is a very important tool for bail recovery and nees to be supported.

$10 or even $20 a year is less than most people pay for coffee in a week.

Post Posted: Tue 26 Jun 2012 09:58 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
I have seen agencies and bondsmen drop like flies from exorbitant advertising. and trying to maintain a physical office.... northern Virginia, several years ago, was charging upwards of $2k a month for a full page add in the Verizon book.... I know because my son was running several of them.... of course he was writing about everything out of Stafford and north for several years.... big time... but unfortunately if slacked off and other factors drove him out of the business.... it depends on the area and the type of jails... the state laws... and of course human nature.... but he and 5 other agents that worked for him were setting the jails on fire with the business they wrote... it last about 6 years.... in fact, I worked for him for a while but then went out on my own down in south-side VA....

My advertising amounts to one line ads in black and white... no newspapers, no office, no TV, no radio.... my business cards in the jails and signs on the roads close to the jails is what I have found works best for the money.... I have "space" phones in several jurisdictions (phones that simply exist in hyperspace and are forwarded to my office phone) I have one cell phone and 5 toll free numbers that run me less than $125 month.... my 'space' phones run about $25 a month for each one and use a toll free to forward to my office... the phone book ads total less than $500 monthly in all my jurisdictions so my total outlay for ads and phones runs less than $750 and I split that with my daughter.... now that's a deal....

We do a lot of PR work in and around our base and hit the courts and hand out cards daily.... (no, we don't solicit inside the courts, but if someone is standing outside when we leave... I will sometimes simply say... as I walk by.... "you all don't need a bondsman do you?".... and they may smile and say "no, but give me one of your cards.... "; they asked, so I give................. and then sometimes they say.... "well, since you mentioned it... yes we do!!"... you gotta fight for business in this business but is not that hard if you work smarter.

I have gotten calls from the FRN listing and have a few deals from other bondsmen and will gladly pay a reasonable amount to help keep this site up and running... the networking and friendships I have acquired on this site are worth every penny of whatever Phil comes up with .... just as long as it isn't toooooooo much.... :mrgreen:

Over the years, I have gotten many very nice bonds simply by handing a card to someone and they have called me a week or two later...............

I will reiterate... I think a nominal fee here is fine.....

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 26 Jun 2012 10:12 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
Most of my work comes from word of mouth referrals but I have received work through the FRN directory that resulted in thousands in income, not to mention repeat business and more referrals based on my FRN listing. I think ones experience with the FRN directory depends on a number of factors, including saturation of fugitive recovery services (competition) in your particular area, and whether the Bondsman wants to hire you, which comes down to your experience, track record, references, who you know (or who knows you) etc...

So the value of your listing is really subjective. You could be listed in the FRN directory for months or years without a single call, then out of the blue get a call that leads to a job, and that client might refer you to more clients who also refer you ....

Post Posted: Tue 26 Jun 2012 22:36 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 567
When I first joined FRN several years ago, I only had a free listing....never got a single referral. Then, about 6 years ago, I upgraded to a premium listing and have had several referrals a year since then. That work has garnered me several thousand dollars each year (far, far more than the cost of a premium listing!).

By the way, a tax is something that everyone is forced to pay. You would only pay if you wanted to be listed in the directory. Kinda like going to the store...I only pay for the milk and bread if I want it. I don't pay; I don't get to have it. The laws of economics.

Post Posted: Wed 27 Jun 2012 03:46 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4078
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Howdy Again!
I guess part of my question had to do with the fact that approximately 1/3 of respondants felt it should remain free. Another 1/3 felt it should only cost $10 bucks. Unless I am mistaken, I mentioned I'd be okay with the minimal charge in order to have a listing.

DORA PI10000052

Athame Investigations,
division of Colorado Bounty Hunter LLC
Aurora, Colorado
303-343-7111 Office
303-319-1077 Cell
303-366-3189 Fax

Available for Fugitive Recovery, Process Service, Investigation and Legal Courier Service.

Post Posted: Tue 03 Jul 2012 18:50 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1
So far there have been 40 people that voted!

Less than 3% of the registered members of the forums not including the members of the directory.

As you can see from the numbers 67% are in favor of charging a small annual fee.

As the (poll) vote is currently going, it looks like the Standard listings will cost $10 per year.

As has been pointed out - there are costs associated with this website: hosting, maintenance, etc. Plus, I am constantly working on improvements trying to make this the best place for the members to network. I probably spend at least 2 hours a day on the website and answering emails...

Let's break this down:

Standard Cost: (Proposed)
$10 a year ÷ 12 months = $0.83 a month
$0.83 a month ÷ 30 days = $0.028 a day (Less than 3¢)

[Not to mention that for every transaction PayPal takes $0.30 + 2.9% of the transacted amount - so I actually would receive $9.41 per year per Standard listing. Also, I am offering the members the opportunity to earn a 20% Credit for each new referred member - leaving just $7.41]

Premium Cost:
$50 a year ÷ 12 months = $4.17 a month
$4.17 a month ÷ 30 days = $0.139 a day (Less than 14¢)

before 20% referral fee:
$50 - $1.75 PayPal fees = $48.25 a year
$48.25 ÷ 12 months = $4.02 a month

with referrals:
$48.25 - $10 referral = $38.25
$38.25 ÷ 12 months = $3.19 a month

Oh, did I mention taxes? :?

US Bail Bond Directory
Private Investigator Database

Please post questions in the "Comments or Suggestions" Forum
PM is only for private requests or comments

Post Posted: Tue 03 Jul 2012 21:20 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Most of us that run a business have spent thousands of dollars on advertising its part of business the things that have work for me may not work for you. Advertising is tax deductible you may pay up front but in the end it cost nothing, this is a business folks.

Just because you have advertising does not put you at the top of anyone's list. You have to market yourself, not the same as advertising if you think you can sit at home and your phone is going to ring off the hook because you are listed somewhere, you will grow moss in your butt crack.

My hiring :
I will not hire anyone with less than 5 years verifiable experience unless i know them or they get referred to me by someone i trust( There are many here i trust there are also some i don't) New folks always ask me what my reasons are , so i say if you were me and i have a business that's worth $250,000 would you trust me with your business with some or no experience, Hell no you wouldn't. Most Recovery agents have no kind of insurance so who is going to get sued if something happens the business that hired you Even in the PI business if i contract something out you must have your own insurance to cover my butt if you screw up or i will add you to mine but i will not pay you a premium price for your work.
Anyway Advertisement and marketing are not the same. the small fee you could pay here would pay back 10 fold money,Help,Searches from members will do if you present yourself right, I have also made good contacts and some great friends

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post Posted: Wed 04 Jul 2012 07:13 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1611
Experience: 7 - 10 years
$25.00 is a very low rate, other similar sites don't have a free listing at all and the premium listing is double or triple FRN.

Like I said before Phill its your time and resources do what you want but the folks on this board that appreciate the venue wont have any trouble paying $25.00 I just got another case from FRN that I made $500.00 on for running a simple background and locating the skip. If I do that once a month whats it worth to you?

Te simple fact that my company is listed on FRN makes our ranking in search engines better. Don't sell your service short it is worth every dime.

I say
$25.00 regular
$100.00 Premium

This would be fair in my opinion.

Sentry Security & Investigations L.P. - Vice President
Curently Licensed in Texas as;
Private Investigator TXLC A16879
Level III Commissioned Security Officer TXLC C11454
Level IV Personal Protection Officer TXLC C11454
Texas Issued Concealed Handgun License

Post Posted: Wed 04 Jul 2012 07:31 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1611
Experience: 7 - 10 years

Maybe split the $10 vs $25 at $20.00 and call it even? Still worth more like $50 though IMHO...

Sentry Security & Investigations L.P. - Vice President
Curently Licensed in Texas as;
Private Investigator TXLC A16879
Level III Commissioned Security Officer TXLC C11454
Level IV Personal Protection Officer TXLC C11454
Texas Issued Concealed Handgun License

Post Posted: Thu 05 Jul 2012 07:12 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
My vote is to keep the free listings.
There has to be a way to verify the listings better. I have been listed on this site and I have not gotten one call because of my listing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

FRN Forums » ADMINISTRATIVE SECTION » Fugitive Recovery Network News