Bounty Hunter Negativity ..... • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Bounty Hunter Negativity .....
 Post Posted: Tue 08 May 2007 06:41 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1208
Experience: More than 10 years
http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6472576

Mark Sayre, Investigative Reporter
I-Team: Bounty Hunters' Firearms Training

May 5, 2007 01:18 PM EDT

Build Your Own Newscast

I-Team: Bounty Hunters' Firearms Training
I-Team: Nevada Bounty Hunter School
Check All | Clear All

Also on LasVegasNow.com
I-Team: Nevada Bounty Hunter School
I-Team: Renegade 'Bounty Hunters' Injure Local Man
I-Team: Bounty Hunter Raid Nearly Turns Deadly
I-Team: Local Bounty Hunter Under Arrest
BLOG about bounty hunters
NRS 697.177

Bounty hunters! When a criminal skips out on a court date, they are often the ones who bring them back to justice. They are technically called "bail enforcement agents."

Over the past several months the Channel 8 I-Team has been uncovering problems with the local bounty hunter industry. In one case, local resident Steve Brereton and his granddaughter were both maced by a bounty hunter who barged into Brereton's home late at night. The bounty hunter was looking for Brereton's son.

Tell the I-Team know what you think of bounty hunters.

Nevada law requires prospective bounty hunters to pass a two-week, 80-hour, class that includes a day of firearms training at a shooting range near Boulder City. That training covers shooting techniques as well as safety.

Read about the new state law, NRS 697.177.

The kneeling position is just one of several Steve Hartnett and his seven classmates were learning. While the goal may be never to shoot, Hartnett feels this training is critical.

"If you do enough of these, there is going to come a time where you have got to draw your firearm. If you do 500 cases, you know, and you don't every draw your weapon you are in good shape, but eventually it is going to happen. Maybe. Hopefully not," Hartnett told the I-Team.

The instructor is Nick Walling, a 20-year veteran of the Henderson Police Department. "Treat every gun as if it is loaded," Walling told the class as he was demonstrating safety techniques.

While the class heavily emphasizes safety, Walling says the skills students are learning are a matter of life or death. "Breath control, trigger control, and target picture are the things that are going to put the bullets where you want them to go," Walling explained.

Walling brings all the students to the firing line early in the training nd has them shoot. The students own their own guns and provide their own ammunition. Walling quickly determines there's a wide range of skill levels.

"When you drew that time you tried to fire with your safety on. Okay, this is a habit you have to get into to take that safety off," Walling explained to one of the students.

Dale Ann Buttacavoli is only one of two women taking the class. "And I'd like to help clean the streets up. There's a lot of people out there -- warrants are out for their arrest -- and we can't find them. So this is something that I want to do for my community," Buttavacoli told the I-Team.

Student Joel Carlson is a military veteran and he says all the training in the two week class is important including this firearms class. "Some days they are going to slam the door and you are going to see them pulling a weapon. So you are threatened. And you have to be ready for this just in case," Carlson said.

Nevada law doesn't spell out exactly what skills must be taught on the range. Only that it must include the "qualifications for the use of firearms" and also the "retention of weapons." But these future bounty hunters say this training also gives them one more thing -- legitimacy.

"Well, if someone hires someone without a license they can just hire anybody. I think it is good that the state is putting some kind of regulation on the industry to get people licensed -- and get people trained," Hartnett continued.

After completing the two-week class, the future "bounty hunters" received their certificates of graduation. But you might be surprised to know that not everybody currently working as a bounty hunter in Nevada has gone through this training. That's because state law allows for a 9-month temporary license. As long a person meets all other requirements, he or she can work for up to nine months while awaiting this class.

The instructors are quick to point out that while they do carefully go over the laws and regulations of this industry, it is up to the graduates now to apply what they have learned.

Email your comments to Investigative Reporter Mark Sayre.

* I believe it's time for us to communicate with this group, as it is apparent that they are NOT BEA friendly and are in need of REAL facts, pretaining to our industry. I encourage our members here to go to the link and respond accordingly.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 08 May 2007 12:16 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Out of 4-5 comments that are already in the "What do you think?" comment section link only one is truly deffending us. We need to sign-up and comment and deffend what we do. They are dragging this out and pounding us down, over and over again. Lets show them we dont stay laying flat, and put our point of view into comments on there. Do these people not have anything else to report on? F**kin losers.

Former Military Honorable / Medical (Retired for Life)
U.S. Army / Fort Knox / 1-81 Armor / 19-D Cavalry Armored Reconnaissance Scout

Former Firefighter (New Jersey)
Former Bounty Hunter (New Jersey)
Georgia State Certified Peace Officer #O210022
Certification #PBCO20130210022
Former Georgia State Dept of Corrections - Bootcamp Officer
Former Georgia County Sheriffs Office

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 08 May 2007 14:43 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Rick, I see that Eagle has been there and I posted as well - BUT the author has to approve our comment before it's displayed.
I say we need to all get a little say in there - seems that a specific group of morons in Neveda are just that . . . morons.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 08 May 2007 21:01 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
We have always had great cooperation in Nevada, primarily in LV. Then again, we are always professional, so don't create waves. The worst problem we had was LE doing a "drive by" and then parking down the street to make sure we had no problems with our apprehension(s).

Nevada has some of the most stringent laws in the country regarding licensing BEA's, including major training and a psych evaluation. Despite this, they seem to be having problems with a couple of in-state agents, but only a couple, and nothing reported with those from out of state who come in for apprehensions.

The reporters, investigative or otherwise, may continue to berate our profession, but anyone really reading the reports will see that it is the same two or three persons that are named in all of the articles. Unfortunately, the uninformed blame the profession, not the individuals involved.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 08 May 2007 21:11 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Everybody needs to logon at that site and make your voice heard - all, well almost all, anybody ever prints is the negative. This is all coming about because of those guys that we have already discussed. I know there are some of us more articulate than some of the rest of us. So put your words to work.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 08 May 2007 21:41 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
I made a post. Will see if admin allows it.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage