update on CO Bondsman Charged in 2005 • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: update on CO Bondsman Charged in 2005
 Post Posted: Sun 11 Feb 2007 18:27 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
I know the original article is here . . . somewhere - but I cannot seem to locate it - Finally this one goes to trial.

Bondsman Gets Probation in Impersonation Scheme
By Patrick Malone, The Pueblo Chieftain, Colo.

Feb. 10--A Pueblo bail bondsman was sentenced to probation for trying to make it look like a sheriff's deputy had accepted a bribe.

Homer Lamar Blackwell Jr., 61, of Blackwell's Bail Bonds, pleaded guilty Jan. 31 to misdemeanor charges of creating a false object and false reporting. More serious charges of attempting to influence a public servant, criminal libel and criminal impersonation for personal gain were dismissed in exchange for Blackwell's pleas of guilty to the lesser charges, according to court records.

District Judge Victor Reyes sentenced Blackwell to two concurrent, unsupervised probationary terms of six months.

The charges against Blackwell stemmed from an incident on Halloween 2005, when he impersonated an employee of a competing bail bond company and mailed a $100 bill to a detention deputy at the Pueblo County Detention Center.

According to an arrest affidavit, the money was accompanied by a letter that read: "Thanks for all the bond referrals on your shift. This is not much, but I'm sure you'll appreciate it. Keep up the good work. The more we make, the more you make."

The letter carried the return address of a bail bond company that competes with Blackwell's. When they were questioned by investigators, employees of Blackwell's rival denied they had sent the letter.

The deputy received the letter along with her paycheck. She immediately reported it to her supervisor, and complained that someone was trying to frame her. Deputies are forbidden from accepting gratuities.

Investigators questioned two of Blackwell's employees. Both said Blackwell had authored the letter. One of the employees reported that Blackwell's intention was to have the detention deputy fired because he thought she was referring inmates to a competing bail bond company.

-----

Copyright (c) 2007, The Pueblo Chieftain, Colo.

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Business News.

For reprints, email tmsreprints@permissionsgroup.com, call 800-374-7985 or 847-635-6550, send a fax to 847-635-6968, or write to The Permissions Group Inc., 1247 Milwaukee Ave., Suite 303, Glenview, IL 60025, USA.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 11 Feb 2007 18:49 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
:roll:

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Last edited by Kathy on Tue 20 Nov 2007 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 11 Feb 2007 19:38 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
Experience: More than 10 years
You got to be kidding me :idea: :!: It just amazing that there are bail companies that are crooks. Here you have a good one on this side of street trying to feed his/her family and just making it. While on the other side of the street you have a bail compnay broken all kinds of laws and rlling in all kinds of money. I just don't understand it.

I guest if they can get away with it and the Department of Insurance won't do anything about. Then why have laws on the matter.

Dam... this crap burns me up :evil: :evil: :evil: :!:

Where's Lance when you need him :?: LOL :lol: 8)

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage