BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENTS???? • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENTS????
 Post Posted: Tue 14 Nov 2006 13:03 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
From the Baltimore Sun

Prison officer held in robbery
Driver says he was abducted, robbed by three men with badges
By Gus G. Sentementes - Baltimore Sun reporter November 7, 2006

Baltimore police said yesterday they arrested a state correctional officer and were seeking two other men in connection with the abduction and robbery of a South Baltimore man who told authorities the trio had impersonated city police officers.

Col. Fred H. Bealefeld III, chief of detectives, said a 19-year-old man and two others were stopped and searched by the men in the city's Westport neighborhood Friday evening. Displaying silver badges, police said, the men handcuffed and forced the teenager into a silver 2001 Hyundai, drove near M&T Bank Stadium and stole $700 from him. The other two men were set free.

Bealefeld said the man memorized the car's license plate number, and, after he was freed, he called police on his cell phone. Detectives are investigating whether the men might be connected to other similar robberies on the city's west side in recent weeks, Bealefeld said.

"They advised him that it was against the law to be in possession of that amount of money and that they would be seizing it and turning it in to police headquarters," Bealefeld said. "They warned him if he didn't conduct himself properly, he would be placed under arrest."

Bealefeld said the suspect arrested on Friday, Carl W. Minor, 33, has worked as a correctional officer since May 2005 at the House of Correction in Jessup. He was charged with kidnapping, assault, robbery, theft and false imprisonment. The other men charged in warrants with similar crimes were identified by police as George H. Heckstall Jr., 33, and Calvin S. Owens Jr., 45.

Charging documents allege that the suspects do "agent recovery work" for an unspecified insurance company. On the night of the attack, the documents say the men were driving around "looking for individuals wanted on warrants." Bealefeld said detectives believe the men may work, or have worked, as bail bondsmen.

Police said they found two badges on Minor - a state correctional officer's badge and a "fugitive recovery agent" badge.

Authorities said they believe the men targeted suspected drug dealers, because dealers seldom report the attacks to police.

Bealefeld said detectives have not found any indication that the victim was involved in any illegal activity. He had parked his car on Maisel Street when he was stopped and searched.

"He was there visiting his friends," Bealefeld said. "We know that he has a very solid background. He seems like he was an entirely innocent victim of these people."

Minor was being held yesterday on $350,000 bail at the Central Booking and Intake Center.

Mark Vernarelli, a spokesman for the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, said that Minor has worked for the state corrections system for four years, but only since 2005 at the prison. He said prison officials have launched an investigation into the allegations.

Owens was convicted in 2003 for impersonating a police officer and illegal handgun possession in Baltimore County, state court records show.

gus.sentementes@baltsun.com

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 14 Nov 2006 16:50 

I hope they hang them. Why does everyone have to claim to be a BEA? You know, its not that glamorous of work. I dont know about you guys, but those endless hours of watching junk houses and trailers, hot water or cold coffee to drink and talking to ignorant people dont seem all that glamorous to me?

Even if you do your homework, still alot of downtime, at least most of the time. I guess, if you are like me, that 5 minute rush is what keeps you going, besides the cash. 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 14 Nov 2006 18:10 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
They claim to be BEA because it probably is not against the law to do so. If it is in some states, the penalty is probably less than if they are charged with impersonating a law emforcement officer.

Secondly, thanks to reality tv, the general public thinks that BEA's are semi law enforcement.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 15 Nov 2006 09:18 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Additionally, BEA badges are unregulated, whereas LEO badges usually require some kind of authentication from the dpt.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 15 Nov 2006 09:21 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Some states are leaning towards having "one" specific badge to designate BEA...I think that would be a good idea as long as there are other unilateral requirements in order to aquire the badge. I know that this has been discussed before - perhaps someday. . .

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 15 Nov 2006 13:43 

I hate being regulated at all. I hate being told what I can and cant do by big brother. But, in the case of this business, we have to have some regulation. Just to stop the jerks. I dont see why, in the case of MO, you cant be issued a badge when you get your license, either bonding or BEA. Have them numbered and you have to turn them in if you let your license lapse or dont do the training. Law says we have to wear some sort of identification anyway.

I dont see the problem with that.

Andy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 16 Nov 2006 09:39 

tsuggs wrote:
They claim to be BEA because it probably is not against the law to do so. If it is in some states, the penalty is probably less than if they are charged with impersonating a law emforcement officer.

Secondly, thanks to reality tv, the general public thinks that BEA's are semi law enforcement.

According to someone," we're not law enforcement but we are on the same totem pole as law enforcement" :shock:

Here in FL, impersonating a LEO is a felony while impersonating a bondsman is a poor career choice.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage