Bounty Hunter South Bend Indiana • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Bounty Hunter South Bend Indiana
 Post Posted: Sun 05 Nov 2006 16:28 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
every so often a decent article comes along . . .

This is a printer friendly version of an article from www.southbendtribune.com

Do you know someone with a story to tell? Contact Yonika Willis at (574) 235-6556 or ywillis@sbtinfo.com.

Article published Nov 5, 2006
Bart the bounty hunter
Former police officer happy with career change

Images of Duane Chapman's leathered face, long blond mullet and dark shades from the popular TV show "Dog the Bounty Hunter" are typically conjured up when most people think of bounty hunters.

But locally, Bart Dewald, a former South Bend Parks police officer and Lakeville deputy marshal, sheds a different light on his self-described "dangerous profession."

Dewald, an Elkhart County bounty hunter, or recovery agent, owns his own business, Dewald Bail Bonds, 101 S. Third St. in Goshen. Staff Writer Yonika Willis recently sat down with Dewald to learn more about his profession.

Why did you switch from police work to bounty hunting?

I was thinking about a career change because of politics in the police department. After seeing a bounty hunter show, I found out it was a real profession.Has your police training helped in bounty hunting?

The police academy taught discipline and to think about your actions before entering a home.

How do police officers and bail bondsmen differ?

We have powers of arrest one step further than police in regards that we do not need a warrant or search warrant to enter a room.

Are you happy with your career change?Yes, I'm happy with the switch because you own your own business. The politics of working with the police department are no longer there, however, there still are political issues and rules and guidelines you have to comply to. The money is much better than a single-family salary of a police officer.

How do bonds work?

Ten percent of a bond is set by the judicial system. Then the 10 percent gets divided between the bondsmen and surety company. That's how the insurance companies/surety make their money. The co-signer is responsible for the full amount of the bond on the person. If we do not get the bond in time, the bondsman has to produce the money. The bond that is placed at the time of release of a defendant is basically a promissory note stating that the surety will pay for that bond.

How is the bondsman informed of who to find?

The court will contact us when a person fails to appear. It's usually one to two weeks after the missed court date, so the fugitive has that much time ahead of us. In the case of someone bonding out of jail, a family member will contact us.What are some differences between "Dog the Bounty Hunter" and your job?

To simplify it, if we walk into a fugitive's home and threatened to spray them with mace, the possibility of getting shot or injured (is increased). We don't talk to defendants (after apprehension) like Dog does. Our obligation is to get them to court. It's not practical (to talk to them). It's basically a quiet trip with no questions to ask.

Describe your job.

It's like any other job. It gets repetitious. The only difference is that you're doing the same scenario, however, you don't know how or when it's going to end, and that is pretty much the thrill of the chase.

Do you stake out a residence before apprehending a fugitive?I normally go out at night and will look inside the house from outside as best we can.

What types of dangers have you been put in?

I've been in situations before where the defendant will flee and I'd have to struggle with the person. I've had family members try to take my gun from my holster. I've been threatened to be shot at. ... They try to run. A lot of them will reach for weapons such as knives, guns, anything else within reach. This job is dangerous. I guess you could say I've been lucky.

What are the range of offenses a fugitive gets picked up for?

Anything from operating while suspended, public intoxication, rape, battery, domestic battery, and leaving the scene of accidents, all the way to attempted murder. Murder has no bond.How do you think you received most of your experience?

After gaining (knowledge) from chasing Hispanic people -- the ones that can falsify their identities -- I used the same tactics (I used to locate Hispanics) to locate people who are legally registered in this country. ... I've become more successful because of that training. As of four months ago, I no longer will bond out Hispanics because of their nature of high flight risk.

Do many people lose interest in bounty hunting?

There's very little money in recovery work. Most bondsmen choose to do their own recovery work because of liabilities, and most have no prior experience in law enforcement work and military.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 05 Nov 2006 18:48 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
It is a positive article, but I'm curious why he has two badges. There is a silver one around his neck, and a gold one on his belt. I do like how he has Fugitive Recovery Agent on his vest. I hadn't thought of that, but since mine is usually under my shirt, it wouldn't really matter. Wearing it out just tells the subject to aim high :roll: . But, that's just my opinion.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 05 Nov 2006 19:55 

Good article.

In the same area at least, I have picked up skips in Elkhart IN, South Bend IN and Niles MI, just across the line. They were all about the most helpful and easy to deal with LEOs I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Actually treated us like we were on the same team instead of copping an attitude like some LEOs tend to do.

MO

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 06 Nov 2006 11:33 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Could this be the same Bart Dewald that had Enforcement Actions taken against him on 04/25/03 for Use of Unlicensed Recovery Agents & Making False statements during a Department Investigation. Enforcement Actions to include 6 months probation & $6,000 fine

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 06 Nov 2006 12:43 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
If so ...maybe he has matured?

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 06 Nov 2006 14:14 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Indiana is generally a pro-citizen and pro-law enforcement state.

If I recall the Department of Insurance regulations for this state you are supposed to have a recovery or bail license in this state in order to actually do a pickup (similiar to other states which require in state license holders) however like I said, Indiana is pretty lenient about that these days.

There seems to be quite a few people using unlicensed agents these days.

There is at least one down where I am at that likes to hire out of state unlicensed people... I know because the guy he calls usually winds up calling me about it.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath."
- Kingdom of Heaven

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 06 Nov 2006 17:46 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
David,

Can you guys wear Fugitive Recovery Agent on your shirts or clothes? I thought you all wasn't aloud?

I know here in Ohio we can't wear anything that has Fugitive,Bounty Hunter,BEA on our clothes at all. Everything we wear has to have Surety Bail Bond Agent on it. That is if your license as a Surety Bail Agent.

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 06 Nov 2006 17:58 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 567
Here in California we CANNOT wear anything that has US, FBI, DEA, California, or anything that would make people think we are part of a government or law enforcement agency of ANY kind. However, we do have to wear something that idenifies us. In CA we are officially 'Bail Fugitve Recovery Persons' so most people wear something that says Fugitive Recovery Agent.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 06 Nov 2006 18:16 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Steve at this time the answer to your question is yes you can were items that say Fugitive Recovery Agent,

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage