NEWS: California • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: NEWS: California
 Post Posted: Wed 19 Jul 2006 04:18 
in memoriam

Bounty Hunter Accident
Published: 7/18/2006 10:29:05 PM

A security guard was shot in a hand today while trying to help a group of pistol-packing bounty hunters collar a fugitive in Mission Valley, police said.

The bail-enforcement agents spotted the wanted man in the 800 block of Hotel Circle South and followed him into nearby Valley Liquor Mini-Mart shortly after 7 a.m., according to San Diego police.

Refusing to surrender, the fugitive started a scuffle, then broke free and ran outside, according to police. The bounty hunters pulled their guns and gave chase, grabbing the fleeing man in a parking area, officials said.

At that point, the suspect tried to wrest away a weapon.

"And the gun went off, striking a security guard from Mission Valley Resort who came over to help," San Diego police Lt. Sharon McNair.

The victim, whose name was withheld, suffered wound to his hand and was taken to a hospital, as was the fugitive, who suffered minor injuries in the struggle, the station reported.

The suspect's name was unavailable

“What is sought is found... what is overlooked escapes” (Oedipus Rex)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 19 Jul 2006 10:21 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
And folks wonder WHY we most often get a negative rap.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 19 Jul 2006 16:04 

I'd like to know how the author knows that the BEA's drew their firearms and then ran after the fugitive. Perhaps the fugitive wrestled the weapon away from the BEA's in the scuffle in the parking lot. While guilty of poor weapon retention and arrest tactics, at least they would not be guilty of sheer stupidity. I hope the facts come out on this incident.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 21 Jul 2006 07:58 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

You are right! The author probably does not know but it makes a better story telling it like they do.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 23 Jul 2006 17:14 

For all to know. The guy resisted and fought with us for about 15 minutes. And the suspect was taken to the hospital for injuries to the wrist but nothing more. We had a job to do. Simple as that. But i had a taser, my partner was the one that pulled the gun, and Mr. ********* was the one that reached for my partners weapon. The incident is currently under investigation by the north divison. Thank you for your help Detective Burnett.

Anthony A. Oliver
Recovery Agent
951 - 795 - 6690

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 23 Jul 2006 18:15 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
I thought you had to be licensed in that state to do recovery work? How is it that Anthony was the guy that was trying to arrest this guy? He anin't license in that state is he?

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 23 Jul 2006 19:02 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I don't think he was Steve...

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath."
- Kingdom of Heaven

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 23 Jul 2006 19:05 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
So again he's blowing smoke up people a$$. I should of know that from him. I'll never learn.

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 23 Jul 2006 20:33 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I think in this case I will lean towards the media's record of events. Everyone in the industry knows that no man alive can last in a 15 min struggle which lends to the credibility of the actors account of the incident.

As always you all know that this is only my 2 cents worth.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 23 Jul 2006 22:25 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
I agree, Bob and can't resist adding a few additional comments.

A 15 minute struggle means poor planning for the manpower necessary for this pickup. Something is very wrong if two agents couldn't subdue him in that long time and still let him get loose and run. Not that I believe this story, but to continue...

Pulling a weapon when a suspect is running "away" from you is definitely not self defense.

Having the weapon in your hand where it could be fought away is nothing if not stupid, and also makes that hand useless in another struggle.

I'm not sure about the legal use of tasers in CA, but seems to me that in a 15 minute :roll: struggle, if legal, could have been used to subdue the suspect.

IMHO :wink: , if Mr. Oliver is using this story, true or not, to gain any form of credence, I can tell him this much; it will not get him any jobs from a professional. Nor will any pro who wants a respectable reputation even consider being associated with him.

I could suggest that he contact a certain person (no longer a member here) who would probably be happy to partner up with him :lol: .

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage