Police Impersonator Suspect Appears In Court... • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Police Impersonator Suspect Appears In Court...
 Post Posted: Sat 10 May 2014 19:16 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4013
Experience: More than 10 years
Police Impersonator Suspect Appears In Court, Claims To Be Bounty Hunter
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/04/24/p ... ty-hunter/

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

"Approach is Everything."

Post subject: Re: Police Impersonator Suspect Appears In Court...
 Post Posted: Thu 26 Jun 2014 10:17 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Arrest record 14 pages long????

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Thu 26 Jun 2014 22:02 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
"............ badges........... what badges..... we don' need no stinkin' badges.............." :shock:

original line from.... " The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" 1927 novel or the movie in 1948.... Humphrey Bogart...

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Fri 27 Jun 2014 07:42 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Correct me if I am wrong .. (cause I am wrong only sometimes :mrgreen: ) but isnt that "Certificate" that he is holding up to the news cameras from that "fake" / "real" online company where you can pay them $199.99 for and then "BAM!" they send you a certificate and I am now a Bounty Hunter ? ..

I have to agree with Scott .. a 14 page Arrest Report is really an eye opener .. this guy might speak the Language of Elegant BS to the news cameras.. but I am sure he is running a muck out there in the streets acting as a process server while using Bail Credentials..posing as a Police Officer ? Ummm last time I served a paper on someone for an attorney .. I was wearing my Private Investigator ID around my neck and No where was my Bail Bond ID .. these things are two separate jobs .. and one does not deal with the other.

This guy even from another Bounty Hunter who has first hand experience with him goes on the record and states he has stated he has Identified himself as a PO .. I am sure the State Attorney may subpoena him to testify in this case to back up and corroborate the facts that this doofus is telling people he is a Police Officer so they can get a conviction.

That other guy summed it up great... Dont judge a handful of these idiot yahoos running around with mental problems playing Cops and Robbers as a "Bolunty Hunter" who have Little to No Experience or training or have criminal records while there are many professional Bail Bond folks out there that go about this business the right way with the proper training and are properly licensed and conduct themselves in a manner that should be respected and admired...

$2,000 bond ? Thats all ? Wow ..

Update .. I just found their advetising video .. UNREAL :shock:

Now here is a CLOSE AS I CAN FIND Video to show you what we REALLY DO AS A BAIL BONDSMAN ALL DAY .. and its not running .. jumping fences .. car chases .. and flashing badges telling them you are the Man ..

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Sun 06 Jul 2014 21:49 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4078
Experience: 3 - 5 years
SURETYRISKMANAGEMENT wrote:
Police Impersonator Suspect Appears In Court, Claims To Be Bounty Hunter
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/04/24/p ... ty-hunter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Howdy Jason!
Haven't chatted for awhile, good to see you posting! For that matter, I haven't been around for awhile, so I guess about time I did a bit of posting.

As for Simpson... I know the guy. I have worked with him. So have most of the BH'ers in the Denver Metro area. He isn't a bad chap, but he does have a propensity to refer to himself in terms that can be misleading.

But before we pull him apart, let us first consider one thing.... He is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
So we ought not jump to any conclusions. That being said, he has run afoul of impersonation issues before. I do not believe he is intentionally trying to mislead, but tends to use the wrong terms and language that gets him scrutiny he doesn't need.

He is a certified BH'er. I've seen his certification documents, and I know who trained him for certification.
The fault (if any) does not lie with the certification process or the man who certified him.
But again, the guy is innocent until proven guilty.

I can say, having worked with him, he can do a terrific job, or no so hot, depending on circumstances.

Anyhow, he will have his day in court, and we all will be waiting to see how things turn out.

Yours,
Agent11-117

DORA PI10000052

Athame Investigations,
division of Colorado Bounty Hunter LLC
Aurora, Colorado
303-343-7111 Office
303-319-1077 Cell
303-366-3189 Fax

Available for Fugitive Recovery, Process Service, Investigation and Legal Courier Service.

Post Posted: Mon 07 Jul 2014 07:01 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Mdbtyhtr wrote:
Arrest record 14 pages long????
Scott

Howdy Scott!
He may have a 14 page rap sheet, but I have no clue how many convictions he may have.
None would be felonies, or he could not have passed the CBI/FBI background check that was required in Colorado.

Arrests are one thing, convictions another. If there ain't any convictions, he is still considered innocent, under the language of our laws.

Now Colorado decided awhile back to do away with the certification process. It required (at the time I got cert'd) a MAXIMUM 16 hours of P.O.S.T. approved training. We tended to think 16 hours was terribly light, but that's how the law was written... MAXIMUM 16 hours. The post training could be done at home, watching a video, or simply reading the appropriate textbook (Which, by the way, was put together by the American Institute of Bail!). Once you did the reading, you took the test. You could not miss more than a couple of answers on the test, but once completed, you'd send it in to the guy who was going to be providing certification. He graded the test and gave you a pass or fail. Once that was done, he'd send your documentation to Colorado Division of Insurance (CDOI), a division of Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA). The applicant also was required to visit a local cop shop to be fingerprinted and the card then taken to Colorado Bureau of Investigation for a CBI/FBI background check. They were looking for any felonies, and if there did exist any felony convictions, you could still be a bounty hunter, so long as those convictions were more than 15 years old (as I recall. It could have been as few as 10 years, but I can no longer say for certain!)

Then Colorado got keen on the idea of court services taking over the role of bail, and it was an overt attempt to eliminate private bail in Colorado. They did away with certification for bounty hunters. Now anybody could claim to be a bounty hunter and set up shop as an FRA. While that was the nature of the law at the time, no local bondsman that I know of would hire anybody that did not have the same training (minimal as it was) when certification was required. So... you had the state throwing out any requirements for certification, meaning anybody could play bounty hunter, but bondsmen who would not hire you without certification, which no longer existed.

So today, we do not have state requried certification. Anybody can decided, one fine afternoon, to commence bounty hunting. I do not know whethere a CBI/FBI background check is required, but if it isn't, that's a long winded explanation why Simpson could have a 14 page sheet and still be (technically) certified.

At the end of the day, I know the guy. He ain't the nefarious type, but has issues in his background. Then again, many who work as BEAs do The point is,.... does he have convictions on his records, and if so... what for?

Yeah, he sometimes refers to himself as an "officer" or otherwise misuses language to convey the notion that he's passing himself off as the law, but I think it is because his ain't the quickest on the draw in the I.Q. department.
If he screwed up, then he'll face those charges in court.

And as I said earlier... he is innocent until proven guilty.

Yours,
Agent11-117

DORA PI10000052

Athame Investigations,
Aurora, Colorado
303-343-7111 Office
303-319-1077 Cell
303-366-3189 Fax

Available for Fugitive Recovery, Process Service, Investigation and Legal Courier Service.

Post Posted: Mon 07 Jul 2014 07:21 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

NYPD BLUE wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong .. (cause I am wrong only sometimes :mrgreen: ) but isnt that "Certificate" that he is holding up to the news cameras from that "fake" / "real" online company where you can pay them $199.99 for and then "BAM!" they send you a certificate and I am now a Bounty Hunter ? ..

Howdy Blue!
Well, consider that this was one of only a couple of "schools" certified by the State of Colorado to teach the certification course for fugitive recovery in our state. The man behind the school is a 14 year veteran of the Jeffco Sheriff's Office, and is currently running to become the next sheriff of Jefferson County.

He helped, together with the Colorado Division of Insurance and the Department of Regulatory Agenies, the training curriculum used in Colorado to provide certification. I know the man personally, and know that he didn't much care for the limitations imposed by the State of Colorado, setting training to a maximum of 16 hours P.O.S.T. approved training, and not a minute more. I would think the state would like to see us all have plenty of training, far beyond what the state required, but now they don't even require the certification any longer.

NYPD BLUE wrote:
I have to agree with Scott .. a 14 page Arrest Report is really an eye opener .. this guy might speak the Language of Elegant BS to the news cameras.. but I am sure he is running a muck out there in the streets acting as a process server while using Bail Credentials..posing as a Police Officer ? Ummm last time I served a paper on someone for an attorney .. I was wearing my Private Investigator ID around my neck and No where was my Bail Bond ID .. these things are two separate jobs .. and one does not deal with the other.

Well, I don't know what he did or did not do. He hasn't had his day in court yet. However, I do know that he is to be considered innocent until proven guilty, so I ain't in a position to speculate on his guilt. I wasn't there when the incident happened. He claims it was a misunderstanding, and I know he has been misunderstood before... more than once. But I do not know if he has ever been convicted of any charges. Even if he has, if it ain't a felony, he can still function as an FRA in Colorado.

I do not like the present scheme of things in Colorado, but the rules are there, right or wrong, and everybody else just has to live by 'em.

This guy even from another Bounty Hunter who has first hand experience with him goes on the record and states he has stated he has Identified himself as a PO .. I am sure the State Attorney may subpoena him to testify in this case to back up and corroborate the facts that this doofus is telling people he is a Police Officer so they can get a conviction.

NYPD BLUE wrote:
$2,000 bond ? Thats all ? Wow ..

Right there is another peeve of mine... but don't get me started!

NYPD BLUE wrote:
Now here is a CLOSE AS I CAN FIND Video to show you what we REALLY DO AS A BAIL BONDSMAN ALL DAY .. and its not running .. jumping fences .. car chases .. and flashing badges telling them you are the Man ..

Don't know about what a bondsman does all day, because I ain't a bondsman. I have FRA experience now, and I have had to chase a few, and jumped a fence or two. Car chases? Not so much. But we do encounter some that are reticent to return to jail. Guess that's why they skipped to start with. Sometimes they'll run, or even try jumping out a 3rd floor window to evade capture. I cannot understand why either. What's so bad about jail? 3 hots and a cot, and you don't even have to go to work in the morning! More like a stay at a comfortable bed and breaksfast, really.

Yours,
Agent11-117

DORA PI10000052

Athame Investigations,
Aurora, Colorado
303-343-7111 Office
303-319-1077 Cell
303-366-3189 Fax

Post Posted: Mon 07 Jul 2014 08:34 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Mel,

Glad to hear from you and to see you are doing OK.

I have a few problems with Simpson if the reports are true. What business was it his to tell the process servers to leave? Was he a security guard hired by the business?

They described a badge and the correct pocket he pulled it from where the cops later found it.

You yourself stated that he sometimes calls himself an "officer." Most people would believe he is saying he is a "police officer."

If he has been warned before for "questionable" actions, then he should have learned by now.

You are correct, arrests do not man convictions. Again, if you have been arrested 14 or more times, there is something wrong in your way of operating that needs to be fixed.

We also know that many times the prosecutor will not prosecute a case even though they can win it.

Please let us know the out come of the case.

Post Posted: Mon 07 Jul 2014 11:09 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4013
Hey, Mel! It's good to hear from you! It looks like you have been busy! It seems to me as though you are doing well and I do hope that you are! You have made some excellent points here in this thread and I do value your opinions. Scriptures dictate, "Judge not, lest ye be judged yourselves," and, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." I suppose that the tasks of developing and maintaining a healthy balance here are a bit challenging. As professionals within the bail trades we have all learned to develop keen senses that assist us in evaluating a person's character and making important judgment calls based upon our evaluations of others. Simpy put, this is one crucial element of the risk assessment processes. These methods are ingrained into us and eventually become second nature to us. We learn this skills from our mentors and subsequently pass them on to our apprentices. We are constantly making evaluations of others without hesitation. It's in our nature. It's a part of who we are. It is one of the many methods of which we choose to utilize in an effort to protect ourselves. It's highly effective; otherwise, we simply wouldn't be doing it. The tricky part lies within developing and maintaining that "healthy balance." We should refrain from passing judgment on others before collecting all of the facts pertaining to their situations. The courts will make the ultimate judgment calls in these types of matters. That is not to say that we shouldn't develop theories about those situations, because much of what we do is based upon our theories. I see nothing wrong in theorizing. Theory development is healthy because it causes us to exercise our minds. Passing judgment on others could be unhealthy because it might cause us to become bitter and resentful towards others. Dwelling on negative matters can corrupt our souls. It can change us. I say, "Do what you must to protect yourselves and others, but don't let it affect your life in a negative fashion." I do hope that my response is not perceived as being haughty because that is not my intention. I am merely sharing my opinion, which I don't often do. I consider myself to be somewhat of an introvert, which probably makes me an oddball within the bail trades. I have a tendency to keep my opinions to myself. I suppose that is based out of a few fears that I have. I don't want to stick my foot in my mouth. I don't want to upset others. I want to maintain a professional appearance. I don't want to be judged by others. I want to be accepted.
Matthew 7:1
John 8:7

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

"Approach is Everything."

Post Posted: Mon 07 Jul 2014 11:11 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Howdy Tony!
I cannot fault anything you've said. Yes, when somebody gets himself jammed up 14 times, that's an indication his work might not be entirely up to par. No doubt about that. And yes, he has used language that would make it appear that he is presenting himself as a cop. I know what the plaintiffs say, and I know what he says. But I wasn't there so I cannot claim to know who is being accurate in their recollection of the encounter.

I believe I know the women involved as well, but I'd need to check for certainty. I am also a process server and do hold membership with the Process Server's Association of Colorado (PSACO), so likely as not, have a fair chance to have met those ladies. If they are who I believe they might be, their version of events would likely be trustworthy. Regardless of that, if Simpson attempted to keep them from doing their job, that could easily evolve into another charge altogether. Obstruction of a process server is a violation of a USC 18 code, and if sufficiently motivated, I'd provide the specific cite but that isn't entirely relevant to the current discussion.

Point remains, I wasn't there, and while I may know folks on both sides of the issue, I do not know precisely what took place. What I do know is...

Yes, he was a BH here on the front range. Yes, the man probably did produce a badge of some sort. I do not know whether it was an FRA badge (legal here) or if he was working for a security outfit and had another badge for that.
He had recently gotten a job with a security company and was working for them. I know this because he tried to get me involved with that outfit. I did go with him on one night, and discovered they were conducting themselves as bouncers at a pot bar rather than as security agents.
Less than a single night of that was all I could take, and I immediateley left the place never to return.
There is one heckuva story there, but thats for another time!

Anyhow, back to Leslie...
The one fact I know beyond doubt, is that he is innocent until proven guilty.
I have photos taken by the media, and even a couple that I took myself when he worked with us in the field.
When he worked with me and one of my partners, he was always fine. Then again, we were in charge of the cases he helped out on, and when interacting with LE or citizens, we did the talking. It appears he gets himself jammed up when he goes out on his own and gives people (either intentionally or because he just ain't a mensa) the wrong impression of who he is, that's for the court to decide.

Now, as for what I tend to believe.... Yeah, if asked my OPINION... I'd say he likely made has made comments in the past that would lead a rational individual to assume he was a cop. But I ain't the judge, nor am I likely to be called to the jury pool.

Leslie is an okay sort of guy... sorta. But he does tend to get himself hemmed up far more than I'd like in a partner.

Yours,
Agent11-117

DORA PI10000052

Athame Investigations,
Aurora, Colorado
303-343-7111 Office
303-319-1077 Cell
303-366-3189 Fax

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage