Good advice on what to carry, concealed. • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Good advice on what to carry, concealed.
 Post Posted: Mon 16 Dec 2013 17:18 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Here is what I think is a very good article on how to determine what you may want to carry if you are considering purchasing a concealed handgun.

http://www.usacarry.com/top-11-criteria ... 4-47542025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I have also found this particular site to be pretty good on general handgun carry info... I have been following it for years and it does have some good articles. Anyway, I recommend it... you be the judge.... you know what opinions are like.... so you make the call.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Re: Good advice on what to carry, concealed.
 Post Posted: Mon 16 Dec 2013 18:35 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
I also get their weekly articles. Lots of good advice every week.

Post Posted: Tue 17 Dec 2013 08:32 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
The best thing I liked about his article was the fact he did not say "Use the bubble gum blaster made by buster and clock" To many times I read articles and have them say an exact brand and model for CC.

I also liked how he explained why he suggests 9mm over 40 or 45.

Only thing I disagree with is flat out buying and staring with a .22 pistol. Yes they are very accurate, great for classroom fundamental training have no noticeable kick, but too many times I have watched people get too comfortable with a 22 then buy a .380, or 38 revolver thinking the kick will be the same. Then POOF the call to clear the line for a Unicorn (what the range I use calls a loose weapon. since a loose weapon is like a Unicorn it should not exist!) come over the PA.

I say try a 22 at a shop with a range then try a different caliber before buying.

Other than my gripe the article is very well written.

Post Posted: Wed 18 Dec 2013 19:04 
in memoriam

Speaking of .22's here's a little something I am considering... a nice little .22 plinker... not too cheap but versatile and able to shoot LR and Magnum... two cylinders and quite accurate I am told.... not much of a concealable weapon but so what.... still maybe fun and cheap to shoot.

922 stainless Taurus 'Tracker' .22LR/.22Mag. 6.5" barrel.... may get this soon... thinking about it... 8)

... it comes in Blued model and also a 4" barrel... sort of reminds me of a Dan Wesson or maybe one of the older Smiths. Also, it is a 9 shot!

I was just thinking out loud and may offer this.... if you ever have to pull your weapon in a serious situation... you will probably not even be aware of the recoil and may, in fact, not even realize the gun goes off... that is what I am told may occur in the heat of the moment... since I have never had to use my weapon on anything larger than a field mouse...

What I carry depends on how sleepy I am and how many large mean friends I happen to have with me at the time... if there are a bunch... I just sit in the backseat and drink a Dr. Pepper.... 8) and watch the show...

also... keep in mind that the little .22 is probably the most used assassins weapon in the world and even the military 5.56 is a beefed up .22... one of the most deadly rifles I own is my trusty Ruger .220 Swift... with a 6.5X20 Leopold scope.... very accurate out to at least 350 meters... depending on the weight of the bullet of course maybe further.... not too concealable of course.

Remember this.... even a .22 is better than nothing.... and if you can shoot it accurately... it is better than a .40 or .45 that you can't handle... also, the .22 mag. is frankly, a very formidable caliber... IMHO.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sat 04 Jan 2014 16:55 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Well over the years I have had the pleasure of carrying/concealing many pistols ... from the .22 to the .45 ... and I know it sounds like it would be way too big, or "overkill" if you will ... I have carried a .45 Glock on my hip for years. I carried a Colt 1911 .45 on my hip in the Marines ... and this just seems to fit for me. I'm a big guy ... and anything smaller just gets lost!

824 Glen Addie Avenue
Anniston, AL 36202
(256) 235-BOND

"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room."
- Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue 07 Jan 2014 18:06 
in memoriam

Frankly, I love .45's.... have several... I usually carry, however, a Smith M&P Shield, .40 cal. and when I need something even smaller I keep a little Smith Bodyguard .380 in the glove box of the car and stick that on my belt if for some reason I can't carry the .40.

I also qualified with a Colt in the Marines some 50 years ago, but probably didn't appreciate it much at that time. I didn't carry one then however, all they gave me was an M-1 Garrand... and I wasn't able to conceal that one.... 8)

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion