What About US • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 03 May 2005 20:38 

lschlack,

Heed agent734's warning: There are many enforcement schools that will train you on how to do certain things (eg. break and enter houses, carry/use weapons, etc.) that may or may not be a) legal , b) advisable, or c) looked favorably upon by law enforcement in a given jurisdiction.

Some jurisdictions are just difficult to work. For example, there is one county in Virginia where I had been questioned as to why I was carrying a firearm even though I am clean slate, of legal age, and carrying openly where permitted (and for the record I was dressed well, khakis, polo shirt, and leather dress shoes). In this jurisdiction I have to make sure I carry concealed as to not draw attention (not a big deal, I have a permit) and really exercise extra caution.

On the other hand, I have worked jurisdictions where i've been told I can do whatever I feel necessary and the local police are very hands off. Of course, i'm not ignorant enough to go abusing that favor but it is nice to know that many jurisdictions will trust us to be responsible citizens until proven otherwise.

Some PD's simply like to nip problems in the bud which becomes a major problem for you if you decide you want to walk the grey line and they decide they want to give you an official county number and a free taxi ride.

Moral of the story: Always tread lightly, especially when operating in a jurisdiction where you do not have a working relationship with the local authorities.

Remember: You are a citizen enforcing a civil contract. The second you decide to enter someones property, approach a person with any type of weapon, or identify yourself as any type of investigator, agent, officer etc. you have officially entered civil and criminal liability-land. You do not have the same protections as law enforcement officers and I do not know of a single school in America that can properly prepare you exercise good judgement as doing so is an acquired skill.

- Jeff

Post subject: Well Said
 Post Posted: Wed 04 May 2005 08:48 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: More than 10 years
Apart from Jeff's well-organized and superbly articulated writing style, his position is directly on point.

Rex

Post subject: US AND THE SCHOOL OF BS
 Post Posted: Wed 04 May 2005 18:03 
in memoriam

FIRST OF ALL JEFF AND REX HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD-LAST TIME I LOOKED THERE WERE 50 STATES IN THIS USA EACH ONE HAS DIIFERENT STATUES GOVERNING OUR PROFFESSION AND I AM WILLING TO BET EACH LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL HAS HIS OR HERS OWN INTERPATATION OF THOSE LAWS - I KNOW MASS - MAINE - NEW HAMPSHIRE- AND VERMONT BUT I STILL AM ASTOUNDED BY THE LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF MOST LAW ENFORCEMENT(INCLUDING PROSACUTING ATTORNEYS) BOTH LAW AND I SPEND TIME EDUCATING MANY PDS ABOUT OUR JOBS-WE FIND DOING IT THAT WAY INCREASES BOTH THEIR REPECT FOR US AND OURS FOR THEM-IN SHORT WE MAKE FRIENDS OUT OF POSSIBLE ADVERSARYS-I PERSONALY WOULD NOT TRUST ANY SCHOOL THAT TELLS ITS STUDENTS THAT THIS 3 DAY OR 5 DAY OR 30 DAY OR 90 DAY COURSE QUALIFIES YOU TO WORK IN ALL 50 STATES-I KNOW OF 4 STATES THAT PROHIBIT BEAS PERIOD AND MORE STATES THAT REQUIRE A PRIVATE INVESTIGATIORS LICENSE(OF THOSE 4 STATES I HAVE RECOVERED SKIPS IN 2 WITH THE HELP AND ASSISTANCE OF THE LOCAL PDS AND HAVE BEEN ISSUED AND OPEN INVITE TO RETURN IF NEEDED--SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL SPEND YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY WISELY AND RESEARCH AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion