If you carry a Firearm, what do you carry? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: If you carry a Firearm, what do you carry?
 Post Posted: Thu 21 Mar 2013 09:41 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
i already posted this in the indtoduction section, thanks.

Email: J.austinbea@live.com
Always eager, always willing, all hail the power of Google
DCJS: #99-295456

Post Posted: Sat 06 Apr 2013 02:53 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 1 year
Had to add my two cents ( gun nut ).
My every day carry is my Springfield XDM 4.5 .45 acp. Yes, it is big, but I can carry it inside my waistband on my hip with no holster when it stays in place and is not noticeable when I am wearing loose fitting shorts ( I do need a belt) and a T shirt.

About my experience with the XDM- Out of the box, it the most accurate semi-auto that I have ever fired. Prior to buying my XD I was a glock guy ( and I still like glock, just not as much now). I fired a friend's xd and fell in love with the trigger. You might think that I am lying but this is true: on a human size target, I can score 6 hits out of one 13 round magazine at 100 yards. Never could come close that with my Gen 4 Glock 23. Having said all of this, I am under no illusions that a glock guy can out shoot me. Marksmanship is a marriage between the shooter and his/her weapon. I am married to my XDM.

A little bit about why I shoot a pistol at 100 yards on the range.
A shooter that is confident and proficient at a long range is better for it at shorter ranges. Snipers commonly practice at ranges exceed 1600 yards and think nothing of hitting human sized targets at 1000 yards. That translates into higher level of confidence and ability to make great shots at 500 yards. The same logic applies to pistol shooting. If you are good at a shooting distance beyond what you expect to ever engage threat, the higher the likelihood of fast and accurate first shot before your intended target finally zeroes in on you.

Apologies for my big two cents, I enjoy sharing my experience.

Cell- 317-640-0724

Post Posted: Sat 06 Apr 2013 07:58 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Quote:
I can score 6 hits out of one 13 round magazine at 100 yards

Wow... if the target/shooter is 100 yds. away from me... I'm gonna just turn and drive away... :shock:

Quote:
Snipers commonly practice at ranges exceed 1600 yards and think nothing of hitting human sized targets at 1000 yards.

... not of course with a 4.5" barreled hand gun... and they are trained a bit more than the folks who generally frequent this business... and are usually shooting a .50 or a 7.62 with a very good scope and they can read wind-age and elevation as an expert and often have a 'spotter' with some rather sophisticated equipment...

My take on distance is simple... 10 steps or less... if your further away than that... baring other related conditions... I'm outta here.... I practice at under 10 steps (approx. 30')... usually 5 to 7 yds... I have been shooting for a bit over 50 years and I can tell ya... there's not 2 outa 100 people that can even see a 6" target at 100 yds.. let alone hit it with anything less than a scoped 7.62.

I might mention that I have several XD's... not the newer models but a couple of the older... they shoot very well... my carry choice in the Springfield line would probably be my .40 sub compact... but what I actually carry most of the time is my little LC9 Ruger or if smaller is required... LCP .380... both with lazer sights attached... which make them a lot easier to hit the target.... just put the little red dot where ya want it.... 8) :mrgreen:

Here's my advice on practice.... practice at distances that are realistic and will most probably be applicable if the need arises.... my car will probably run over 100mph... but I have never driven it that fast.... I practice driving around 65... max.... same applies to most stuff you have to practice with.... (except women, your probably better off keeping most of them at that 100yd range... :oops: )...

You shoot someone at 100yds and you may have a real problem convincing LE that he was a threat!!

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sat 06 Apr 2013 16:02 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
The only point I want to add is, I would only carry a gun that I am not 100% in love with and would be afraid to lose.

In California, if one is involved in a shoot, that weapon will most likely be seized for a long time, if not for ever depending on the outcome of any legal action.

So for that reason I carry a G 30. Relatively cheap, accurate and easy to buy another.

As far as practice, I never go pass 25 yards for the same reason Bill stated. Besides the G30 because of its size and caliber, it is very hard to achieve much accuracy pass that distance.

At least I can't.

Post Posted: Sat 06 Apr 2013 19:04 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Glock .40, paddle holster, finger release

824 Glen Addie Avenue
Anniston, AL 36202
(256) 235-BOND

"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room."
- Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sat 06 Apr 2013 20:08 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 1 year
Just to clarify, I don't shoot my pistol at 100 yards ( at the range ) with the intent of engaging a human target at that distance. My only intent, at that distance , is to increase my proficiency with that weapon. I leave it to opinion as to weather or not it is beneficial to everyone. It helps me. Having been on the two-way shooting range, I know how much my marksmanship suffered while I was being shot at so I choose to challenge myself at the range. Proficiency = survival.

Cell- 317-640-0724

Post Posted: Sat 06 Apr 2013 21:13 
in memoriam

You are absolutely right... when the 'incoming' starts... it tends to drastically effect your aim... we hope it doesn't but for most of us less than John Wayne types... it certainly does. Even at my advanced age, I can hit a pack of cigarettes at 15 steps but if it started shooting back... I probably couldn't hit the wall it is was tacked to.... :oops:

BTW.... for what it is worth... I once killed a deer with a .44 Dan Wesson, heavy vent 8" barrel, (I think I posted a picture of that gun on here somewhere)... at just under 80 steps (yds).... but I frankly know that was just a lucky shot... especially when you consider that the 240 grain JHP bullet out of that length barrel even with the hand-loads I made.... lost about 40% of its' energy and dropped probably at least 10 to 15 inches... yep... I would say luck... and I only did it once...

As you probably already know... handguns shed energy/speed very fast at distance.

I will repeat my former quote... the only bad choice in a carry gun, is the one you left at home...

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Mon 08 Apr 2013 22:21 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Experience: None
glock 22 gen 4 its with me where ever i go!

Post Posted: Wed 08 May 2013 09:41 
in memoriam

I want to recommend a couple of things for you to consider on this "carry thing"...

IDPA once again, I will recommend for anyone that wants to tone up their abilities.... very good and very fun... although limited ammo at this time is a factor I suppose.

http://www.idpa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I also want to recommend a book.... it happens to be free if you have a Kindle... you can also download it if you have the "Prime" feature enabled on your Kindle....

"Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry" authored by Massad Ayoob... this book has a lot of very interesting stories and points that you should find quite on point if you carry or if you have ever considered it....

Also, if your so inclined... join the NRA... I am a life member and even so... I am not really an uneducated back woods redneck.... and I haven't shot anyone in a very long time.... 8) 8)

Way too many opinions on guns and carry procedures and like all other things in life.... opinions vary way too much to be anything but just that....... opinions... you still have to make up your own mind... and if you try to give credence to every Tom Dick and Harry that comes up with his particular theory... you will never make a decision...

Just read and decide for yourself.... this book is only one of thousands that may help you in that direction...

Post Posted: Tue 14 May 2013 07:07 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

S & W - M & P .40 + 2 clips in shoulder harness
Phazzer Enforcer (I am a dealer if interested...superior to Taser X-26 and 25% less)
Pocket knife!

Minnesota

763-670-6934

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion