Always Carry Your Firearm... • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Always Carry Your Firearm...
 Post Posted: Tue 30 Apr 2013 05:34 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
Experience: More than 10 years
I found this to be an interesting story and right on point. Several of you folks are former law enforcement as I was. I must admit that I was one of those guys that did not carry off duty all the time even though it was mandated by agency policy.

I posting this story because I believe that it is also related to what bail enforcement agents encounter on a daily basis. Now this does not mean that bail enforcement agents should take a police action? No that is not their function or sworn duty, the point here is the protection of self and family. This story can be found at Shootdontshoot.com

For whatever reasons a lot of police officers choose not to carry their firearms while off duty. This is happening while out with their family, friends, etc. This article attempts to convince you why you should always carry your firearm, even if it’s just running to the store.

I can remember going to a police training seminar on this exact subject, and thinking before I went “Is this really that important?” But I went anyway for the training, and after leaving was amazed by what I’d heard. In this article I’ll try to convey some of the things I learned and try to convince you as well as to why it’s so important to always carry your firearm off duty.

For obvious reasons, when things go bad we need our firearms now

As police officers we are never really off duty. But when we are out of uniform and find ourselves in a deadly situation, your firearm is the only friend you’ve got. If you didn’t bring it with you, you better prey that the suspect decides to spare your life and others. Otherwise you will have to live (or die) with the consequences that you had a choice before hand to have possibly changed. Your failure to bring your weapon with you could have long term psychological effects if something really bad happened.

Imaging your out with your family and a gunman enters a store where you’re at

No police officer ever wants to be in this situation, but it can and has happen. What do you do? As a police officer I know that I personally would not draw my weapon unless I had to. I would have to believe that the suspect or suspects were going to kill myself, my family or people in the store. If it appeared to me that once they got their money they would leave, I would not my draw my weapon and simply try to be a good witness.

But what if you find yourself in a situation where you believe a shooter was going to shoot, and you didn’t have your weapon? Can you imagine the psychological aftermath that you would go through for the rest of your life if something happened to your children, knowing you “could” have done something to possibly change it? I’m not sure I could live with myself. Could you?

When we decide to not carry our firearms off duty, we become the herd

When you are the herd, you are no longer the protector; you are now at the will of the wolves. The wolves, who are the criminals for this analogy are only 3% of the herd. The protectors (you) are the other 3%. When you decide not to carry your firearm, you lessen that 3% of the good guys and are now at the mercy of the wolves, simply running with the herd. Where do you want to be?

We’re only going to church, I don’t need my firearm

I’ve been a victim of this myself. I’ve went to places several times thinking “nothing’s going to happen.” The problem is we don’t know that. And in today’s society with so many kids wanting to make names for themselves by killing people, a church almost seems like a perfect place for someone to go nuts in. Again, do you want to be the herd?

It’s inconvenient wearing my firearm off duty

Again, I’ve been a victim, but not any longer. The answer is to find a concealment holster that’s comfortable and convenient if you are in and out a lot. One that I recommend is the inside-the-pants-holster. It’s a holster that allows the weapon to be carrying inside of your pants (to help with concealment), and hangs on the lip of your pants. There is also a pocket holster which is what I’m been using more often lately. I can simply put the weapon in my pocket and go. Another option is an ankle holster.

One nice inconspicuous holster to carry off duty is the “Inside the Pants Holster” which is how I carry my firearm off duty

You can conceal your firearm with these holsters pretty easy and have good access to them. Although the picture shows the shirt tucked in, you don’t have to tuck it in so that’s concealed. I don’t have a specific recommendation, only that you should be able to draw your weapon smoothly with the one you choose.

When using these holsters

Be sure your weapon can be “immediately accessed” - If your pants are too tight and you can’t get your weapon out easily, then get a bigger pair of pants. Obviously it’s important to get to your weapon quickly.

Be sure your weapon is concealed – I used to wear a regular paddle type holster for it’s convenience. Just pop it on and go. You never had to worry about pants being tight, lose, etc. The problem was it would bulge out and make it obvious that I was carrying a gun forcing me to always wear very large shirts.

One last note on carrying your firearm off duty: Carrying your Police ID

Since you’re carrying your firearm off duty, it’s obviously important that you carry your police id as well in the event you have to identify yourself to the police. The problem is if something bad actually happened, and say for example the bad guy started ordering everyone’s wallets, they would know you are a police officer. Our recommendation is to carry two wallets. One with your police id, and the other with your regular information (money, credit cards, pictures, etc.). This way you at least have a chance to hand that over instead of your police id.

Conclusion

Don’t become the herd. Bad things happen every day. Just because you don’t see it or believe it could happen in your area, where you’re eating, walking, etc., it can. Of course the likelihood is very low for most cases, but you have to remember it only takes one incident to change or end your life forever.

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post subject: Re: Always Carry Your Firearm...
 Post Posted: Fri 07 Feb 2014 18:31 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Don't know why I did not respond to this post... I concur with all you said Gene...

My awakening came in a Walmart while eating a sandwich in an attached Subway shop... young man comes through the check out line about 60 yds in front of me... I am sitting relaxing, talking on my phone and eating lunch... this guy for some reason, goes off on the clerk and starts yelling... then he actually reaches across and grabs the clerk and drags him out from behind the counter... within seconds, two security guys come out and they are all wrestling on the floor right in front of me... the young guy, who is in pretty good shape... knocks one of the guards across the room and pushes the other away from him and stands up and reaches inside his rear pants pocket... by then... I am thinking he is pulling a gun... and I am a bit excited to say the least... he did not pull a gun, he pulled what I think was a box-cutter out of his pocket but before he could do anything with that... another guard grabbed him and was able to get him on the ground and subdue him...

Now... here's the deal... I am a licensed bondsman and PI... I have 3 carry permits as required in VA... one as a private citizen, one as a PI and one as a bondsman... my concealed carry permit was in my car along with my .40 cal. pistol... a lot of good it would have done...

I got to thinking... what would have happened if he had in fact had a gun and started shooting... now I am not gonna say that I could have stopped him... I don't know, at my age (70), that I could have done anything to respond to this guy, but I would have at least had an opportunity to do so... and it would have been rather upsetting to be lying on the ground bleeding out and dying because I left my weapon in the car or at home... and even more upsetting if my wife or a family member were to be with me at that unfortunate time....

I now carry everywhere... even in church.... if the location is difficult or my clothing is difficult to conceal... I downsize the weapon and just stick my little M&P Bodyguard .380 in my pocket... other wise I carry at least a .40 or .45 depending on my mood... I practice as much as possible with usually 3 weapons and hopefully I will never have to worry about something bad happening...

There are small belt attachable carry pouches that look like cell phone pouches and you can easily get a thin small auto into them... in fact... I have a M&P .40 Shield that looks just like I have my cell phone outside my pants on my belt... no one knows the difference...

Image Image

These are made by "Sneaky Pete" and are available on their website, Ebay or Amazon... you can get them for any size weapon but the smaller are better... IMHO... with a belt loop or a clip on and for different size pistols... around $50.

Just an example of outside the belt for which will fit small frame .380's... such as this LCP Ruger shown... I have one of these but I carry the M&P Bodyguard... which also will fit this... (I gave my Ruger LCP to my daughter)

I also, as Gene states... carry IWB (inside waist band) that is my preference... I most always have my shirt tail out so it is not very visible... I can carry the thin .40s or .45s without showing much of anything...

... and here are two examples of inexpensive IWB holsters on two of my guns...

Ruger LCP .380 and an LC9 both in clip on one in an Uncle Mike and the other in a Blackhawk holster, cheap, durable and comfortable, you can get IWB much more durable but I like these... on and off quickly and quite durable IMHO...

A cell phone is not a deadly weapon and response time of a .40 cal. weapon is much faster than the local police force.... and that's my story on why... "I always carry my firearm"...

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sat 08 Feb 2014 11:43 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
We have to be careful, smart and observant. In MD, they just busted some Heroin dealers that had a .22 cal pen gun!

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Sun 09 Feb 2014 00:38 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
Not sure if its because I'm a vet or that I teach firearms classes and get to read the statistics more than I'd like, but with the exception of when I'm working at my corrections job, I'm armed everywhere I go to include in my own home. Home invasions are not seething to forget about either.

Post Posted: Sun 09 Feb 2014 12:40 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
To be truthful, I don't always carry. In fact, to be really truthful I seldom carry. My home, and anybody including my wife and adult kids are always safe when there.

Bill

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Sun 09 Feb 2014 14:04 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
B Williams wrote:
To be truthful, I don't always carry. In fact, to be really truthful I seldom carry. My home, and anybody including my wife and adult kids are always safe when there.Bill

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Yes, but then not everyone is as proficient in protecting themselves and not many are as mean as you and besides... although your wife is beautiful... she too is quite proficient in disabling anyone that makes a move on her or anyone in your household...

I once saw Bill disarm, cuff and place in his vehicle for transport to the local jail... 3 roughnecks with nothing but a #2 lead pencil... and his eyesight is like an eagle... I also once saw first hand how he could read a license plate from almost 500 yds., in a raging snow storm... in the parking lot of a run down motel with 10 or so mean looking rednecks watching him.... with his naked eye.... no, Bill, you cannot fool us... you don't carry because you feel it would be unfair to anyone making a move on you... and you always want to be fair.... 8) 8) 8) :shock:

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 09 Feb 2014 16:44 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
I find that when I carry, G30SF, I tend to be more aware of everyone and everything around me. I think it is because I want to make sure no one notices me carrying.

Now I only CC IWB with a big shirt, sweather or a jacket covering it so there is very little if any imprint at all.

I do practice, dry fire with a Laserlyte trainer and at the range very often. In fact I need to get some more ammo for it as I am below 300 rounds.

Also, I want to get use to the weight of the G30. Kind of of heavy but, not uncomfortable. So, I do carry as much as I can.

Post Posted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 10:23 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Bill, I can sort of remember the snow, I remember backing up to get a plate number, I sort of remember the tough guy looks we were given at the motel, other than that, my memory seems to be fading.

One more thing, I seem to remember flashes of light and you having to help direct me to the area we were going. Other than that, I'm totally lost, as I was when trying to locate the address to the home and the motel. In other words, I was lost. In fact I think you had to tell me where to turn to get to where we were going. Oh yeah, that was a Bic pen, not a number 2 lead pencil, I think. One thing I know for sure, I was carrying that day and I'm positive you were too.

You are right on when it comes to Sandy. That 5'2" girl can kick my butt on her worse day. As always, enjoyed reading your post.

As to the original post, I really don't carry as much as I should but carry more often than I admit.....Maybe! :D :shock:

I have a true story, somewhat embarrassing that happened to me a few weeks ago. I'll post it in the private section and hopefully it might keep somebody from making the same mistake.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 14:52 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4150
Experience: < 3 years
Now you see it
Now you dont

Bail License #40313820

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion