Non-Fugitive Arrests • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Non-Fugitive Arrests
 Post Posted: Thu 24 Oct 2013 14:37 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
So I got to wondering, and this came from watching TV (and as we all know that can not be trusted), but how do you handle non-fugitive arrests? Not let me clarify that I do not mean as in general criminal activity, though rather, in the arrest of a fugitive you have a combative spouse or other individual.

Example, you enter the home of the fugitive you are after, but a friend or girlfriend becomes combative and physically violent. How do you handle a specific situation such as this?

This topic (for the purpose of replies) does not in any way pertain to general arrests such as DUIs or other law-enforcement authority. This is specifically for when going after your specific subject.

NAFRA Member

Post subject: Re: Non-Fugitive Arrests
 Post Posted: Thu 24 Oct 2013 18:35 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
Experience: More than 10 years
Such is the challenge of navigating this business. Everyone has the right to self defense and most jurisdictions have citizens arrest statutes. That being said, you are on shaky ground putting your hands on someone other than your skip. In such cases it is one private citizen versus another, and depending on a variety of factors it could go bad for you, especially if you make a bad impression on the local police or if they have a negative view of this profession. Proper planning and a professional approach is the best way to avoid these situations and these are indeed situations you want to avoid.

Post Posted: Fri 25 Oct 2013 06:29 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
14 years, never had a physical confrontation with any "third party"... here's what works for me...

... make damn sure you are on the right person.... approach in a "non-threatening" manner.... not dressed like a swat member or screaming/yelling... cussing... or any of the normal... youtube versions of this business...

... calmly approach... voice low, normal tone... if I perceive the least bit of irritation or reluctance to even talk calmly... this is what I say....

I maintain eye contact and be very aware of all in the room or surrounding me... speak clearly but maintaining an even voice... do not close on the subject... maintain a clear distance... non threatening stance...

"I am here to clear up this issue with the courts and [Mr./Mrs. ****]... I am not going to fight anyone, I am not going to chase anyone, I want to help you get this cleared up and to do that we need to ride over to the magistrates office and talk with him about this issue... YOU CAN RIDE WITH ME, IN A NICE AIR CONDITIONED CAR... OR IF YOU DON'T WANT TO ... IT'S OK... I will step back outside and just call the locals and when they arrive, it will not be as easy going as this choice... you make the call... which do you want?"

Now I always alert LE that I am where I am and what I am doing and if they ask.. I show them all my paperwork and official documentation... but issues with the perk or third party are always handled as easily as possible...

... I will say, there have been times when I perceived a problem and on those occasions, I call the "big guns" that I am in contact with but I am pretty good at reading my people and 99% of the time... it works out in a sane and easy manner... it is as ChuckJ says... the way you approach and the mannerisms that you incorporate will usually dictate the response you encounter.

... I always say... image and attitude combined with a calm and professional approach will work wonders... you dress like a 'bad azz'.. you act like a 'bad azz' and you will most often encounter a 'bad azz'...

I prefer to do things, the easy way... and on the occasion that it just doesn't work out... I just shoot them, put em in the trunk and go to the backwoods landfill... 8) 8) 8) :roll: :shock: :shock:

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Fri 25 Oct 2013 12:24 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
With the exception of a guys brother sucker punching me and a couple other altercations I've found recoveries to go rather smoothly when your homework is done. I try to get as much info about the absconder as I do on possible locations. That way, I sort of know what to expect (for the most part) before I get there. Been cussed, Mom's been called names by many but hey, they don't know her so no big deal. We can sometimes cause a physical altercation by our body language and the tone of our voice that otherwise wouldn't have happened. Just my 2 cents. Added: It is an absolute fact that there are some that no matter what you do, they're going to fight, nothing you can do but defend yourself. A study was done and found a percentage of folks like this. I can't recall what the percentage is (I do recall it's very low) but it's a fact.

Bill

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Fri 25 Oct 2013 19:43 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

I have to say, sometimes it is hard to tell with what you see on TV and what is reality. Hearing that its rare is nice. I have no intentions of going "SWAT". I am sure there is a time and place for that, but that I would have t argue that time and place is not in the bail bonds industry, least from what I have learned. I figure if you need SWAT tactics and tools then you might as well call in PD (especially since if something goings wrong you are not liable).

Thanks for the feed back though. I feel the same, if you present yourself as non-threatening and do your homework then all should go smooth.

NAFRA Member

Post Posted: Fri 25 Oct 2013 19:45 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

As a thought to the non-threatening, I was watching a documentary about the Secret Service and a motto to kind of follow behind. Apparently the SS never show their weapons at all unless they truly need to draw. Not a bad motto. If you are carrying, keep it hidden. Why show force when none is needed?

My issue is I am hoping to help push the bail agenda in Wisconsin in hopes MAYBE things come around and opens up here. So yeah, I am very much learning and I do not want to see it become a SWAT Clown convention should it become legal in Wisconsin in the future.

NAFRA Member

Post Posted: Sat 26 Oct 2013 06:32 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Bill Williams is a professional in this business... I have been with him and seen him at work and will agree that there are always those that want to fight, no matter what... on those rare occasions... Bill or several others that I have dealt with over the years are my answer... but the rest of the time... I just approach like I am an old man going to DisneyWorld... which is exactly what I am.... 8)

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sat 26 Oct 2013 07:37 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
There are people that can't serve civil process without an altercation, don't be that guy.. I have long preached "Low Impact" fugitive recovery. When done properly, you choose the most opportune time. Those that have issues also have no patience, they force the issue and this results in confrontations. However, that said, as my esteemed brothers fro PA, VA and NC have pointed out, there will always be the Squirrel that thinks his Traffic offense is the crime of the century. Use your head, profile the subject for prior history, interview family members with a mindset of mitigating risk and potential injuries to any party.

Good luck,

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion