A few questions- Surety VA • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: A few questions- Surety VA
 Post Posted: Fri 29 Mar 2013 15:16 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
I'm taking it next quarter on my commission rate in commodities. Apparently it's frowned on making more then management :-\

So I am considering a part time side work to make up for the loss I am forecasting.

In VA how is the market for surety bondsman and can it be done on the side? 20 to 30 hours per week. * I know property bondsman is the way to go for long term, but this would strictly be part time with a much smaller investment.

Does new VA regs regarding gps tracking allow for exemptions for bondsman or strictly PI's?

If LLC is formed, can the surety bondsman act as the compliance officer for the LLC or does it require a different individual.?

Is a physical location acceptable or is a virtual office permissible regarding documentation kept for DCJS.

I have been out for a long time. Did they ever pasd pretrial in VA?

Sorry to bother - just figured I could ask the vets.
Thanks!

VA DCJS #99-99238446

Post subject: Re: A few questions- Surety VA
 Post Posted: Fri 29 Mar 2013 19:06 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
changed by me... to the post below...

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 31 Mar 2013 08:57 
in memoriam

changed by me... to the post below...

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Thu 17 Oct 2013 01:11 

I just own a gps tracking ,and also have the gps tracking for automobiles hard wired .

Post Posted: Thu 17 Oct 2013 18:49 
in memoriam

... for some reason, I just realized this was an old thread.... so I deleted my other two posts and will just leave this one for what it is worth..............

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
In VA how is the market for surety bondsman and can it be done on the side? 20 to 30 hours per week. * I know property bondsman is the way to go for long term, but this would strictly be part time with a much smaller investment.

I have been a surety bondsman for 13 years. I have a pretty sweet contract so the difference between property and surety is not enough for me to change, besides... with surety, I have no limit, do not have to fill out reports on liability every month for DCJS and although I am certainly liable for skips... in the event I need some outside help, the surety will work with you... now I have a direct contract and my surety requires 10% in my buff but that is actually a plus in my book cause it acts as a little saving account and it adds up nicely.

As for part time... that is all I do.... even the big boys will admit that this business is most often... part time. You can probably make 30 to 50K a year without too much effort but you have to work smarter not harder... it is like most other self employed businesses... you will generally get out what you put in.... and I can assure you I do not work 30 hours a week.... maybe 15 at the most... but I am retired and have several checks coming in so if I don't write a dime, I won't starve.... I do spend a few hours inside doing my reports but that is about it... I will tell you that this business... in VA... as most other states... is a cut throat business and filled some rather unsavory characters... if you don't mind dealing with other bondsmen that are absolutely the "pits"... jump right in.

Make sure you check out the surety you decide to go with ... there are some really bad ones out there and I can tell you first hand... if you go under someones wing, as you probably will have to do at first... you better make sure who they are and that they are reputable, because there again.... general agents are not all nice guys and you could end up trying for years to get your BUF when you decide to leave him/her.

Quote:
Does new VA regs regarding gps tracking allow for exemptions for bondsman or strictly PI's?

You can research that question yourself or call DCJS for details.... I have never used GPS tracking but I am sure it has it's place...just never needed it...

Quote:
Is a physical location acceptable or is a virtual office permissible regarding documentation kept for DCJS.

Well, you do not need an office but you certainly have to keep your records in a safe, secure place... I have never had a physical office... I do have a pseudo office in my home but never bring anyone in there to do business and I have a really nice solid steel expensive safe that I keep assorted "valuables"in... also a very high end security system... (and a wife who can out shoot me! :oops: )...
one phone and one car is all that I have ever had... and my phones are remote location and I do my own ads and webpage... there are many smart ways to run your business... never get too big for your own good.............. I see agents getting in and getting out on a regular basis because their eyes are too big for their pocketbooks.... unless of course if you live in California and then... the sky is the limit... 8) 8) 8)

Quote:
I have been out for a long time. Did they ever pass pretrial in VA?

Pretrial is alive and well in VA... but in my AO... it is not that much of a problem.... but I must tell you that my daughter and myself and my son are rather well connected in our area and your reputation is where it is at in this business.... I have never had a problem with pretrial services... in fact... sometimes it works to my advantage...

Keep this in mind.... "never quit your day job"... if you are working in another field... keep it going... do this on the side for a while until you are damn sure you want to do it... cause you can get caught up in it and it will eat you alive if you let it.... it's a good occupation but it is not the easiest... I have seen you on here in the past and you should already have a good handle on this business... be very leery of plastic people and charlatans...
for some reason, this industry permeates with some very slick people that will take your money while convincing you that they are your best friend and the epitome of knowledge... I would say that probably 75% of the folks you talk to in this business are pretty much "full of it"... and don't believe anything I say either... check it out for yourself... I tell some tall tales but I will not lie to you... do your homework and you will be successful....

One other thing I will toss out .... the better you are at BSing... the easier it will be for you to spot another BSer... and that is what I refer to as "spidy senses"... a very important aspect of this business. Also, try to "look professional"... cause your image is... as I have said.... your ticket in life.... and that's an absolute truth. If you dress and look like a "cowboy"... you will be treated as one.... and if you put something on Facebook... it better be related to fishing or hunting and not bounty hunting or bail bonding, cause those videos and pictures can and will come around and bite you rather quickly.... fact.

One last tidbit... read the first line under my signature....

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion