First meeting with a general agent • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: First meeting with a general agent
 Post Posted: Sun 03 Feb 2013 10:26 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
I am a new bail bondsman in Ohio and next week I will having my first meeting ever with a general agent. I am treating this like the job interview that it is and will be showing up looking and acting professional. I wanted to take this chance before the meeting to ask the group some questions to see what I could learn from the experience here on the forum.

1. What is the #1 thing you look for in a general agent?

2. What are some things to watch out or be cautious for in a general agent?

3. As a brand new bondsman did you interview a number of general agents or go with the first one to give you a chance just to get your foot in the door?

Also, in case your wondering my intro thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14409

Thanks,

Rich

NPN:16873052

Post subject: Re: First meeting with a general agent
 Post Posted: Sun 03 Feb 2013 17:48 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Experience: More than 10 years
I have never interviewed with a general agent however I'm going to give this some thought and get back with you. I can tell you what you should do. Dress appropriately, slacks,shoes, nice shirt, hair combed. I think the main thing that you should consider is, what is that General Agent looking for. I'll get back on your question though and i hope you'll give my comments some thought. This is meant to be helpful but it's hard to tell sometimes when on a key board....Good luck!!

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Sun 03 Feb 2013 17:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
I would be looking for success guidance, what works to griw business and how much time they have to spend with you. In the years I have been in this business, I have neither interviewed or been interviewed by a MGA. Most give you the paperwork and powers and leave.
Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Sun 03 Feb 2013 19:18 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

I appreciate the reply's so far. Please bear with me my knowledge of the bail industry consists of what I needed to learn for the state examination and the research I have done. I have no practical experience yet but cannot wait to get started.

A little background is that the agent is a close friend of a professional associate I work with in a unrelated field to bail bonds. This is more casual meet than a formal interview I suppose. I just want to make sure I give a good first impression as I figured this was an opportunity to get started writing bail with a little guidance that I would not get otherwise.

NPN:16873052

Post Posted: Sun 03 Feb 2013 20:55 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
richl wrote:
I appreciate the reply's so far. Please bear with me my knowledge of the bail industry consists of what I needed to learn for the state examination and the research I have done. I have no practical experience yet but cannot wait to get started.

A little background is that the agent is a close friend of a professional associate I work with in a unrelated field to bail bonds. This is more casual meet than a formal interview I suppose. I just want to make sure I give a good first impression as I figured this was an opportunity to get started writing bail with a little guidance that I would not get otherwise.

Rich,

Good luck with your meeting.... Everything will be fine. :wink:

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post Posted: Sun 03 Feb 2013 21:28 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
It appears you have a Guardian Angel ;)

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Wed 06 Feb 2013 11:10 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

I went with the first one I came across and regretted it. Nice people but they were more interested in me promoting their brand and running post bonds for nothing.

I am with a new one now who gives me the knowledge and guidance I was looking for while building my own name. I don't post as many bonds as before but the margin's are better.

I would ask myself if you just wanna work for someone or build your own business?

Post Posted: Wed 06 Feb 2013 16:40 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3671
Experience: 3 - 5 years
One of the coolest people I know, from the business, out here is a GA for Lexington and Fairmont. She's referred me recovery work AND will be my first choice to guide me if I pursue my own paper.

Ca. Bail Agent Lic#1845795
Owner/Operator, Thomas Duprey Bail Bonds
Owner/Operator, Orange County Bounty
(714) 727-4689

Post Posted: Thu 07 Feb 2013 21:14 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
Ban One wrote:
I went with the first one I came across and regretted it. Nice people but they were more interested in me promoting their brand and running post bonds for nothing.

I am with a new one now who gives me the knowledge and guidance I was looking for while building my own name. I don't post as many bonds as before but the margin's are better.

I would ask myself if you just wanna work for someone or build your own business?

What part of Ohio are you in?

If you get unhappy with them, give me a call.

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post Posted: Fri 08 Feb 2013 06:54 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Little late on this one but here's my take...

Quote:
I wanted to take this chance before the meeting to ask the group some questions to see what I could learn from the experience here on the forum.

Quote:
1. What is the #1 thing you look for in a general agent?

HONESTY

Quote:
2. What are some things to watch out or be cautious for in a general agent?

a. Does he look you in the eye when talking to you.
b. Ask him for references, he certainly will ask you for yours...
c. How long has he been in business and how long with his present surety.
d. Look around his office... you can tell a lot by how it is set up... wall plaques, certificates, licenses, his desk, other employees in attendance.
e. If you can, talk to others associated with him, without him around.
f. Listen carefully and try and get a read on exactly what he expects from you...
g. How many other agents does he have working and in what areas, does he give exclusive area or is it open season for whoever gets there first.
h. How is he dressed, his overall attitude, his neatness or lack of it...
i. Pay close attention to his depth of knowledge in the business... in other words, listen for the BS.... it is always there, but you can tell a lot from it's direction and depth...

Quote:
3. As a brand new bondsman did you interview a number of general agents or go with the first one to give you a chance just to get your foot in the door?

Well, frankly, I was pretty much dropped into the first one, not knowing... but to be honest... when you first start, you have to get a feel for the business and if you look at the disclaimer on my sig line... that pretty much says a lot and is applicable to this question... try to hook up with folks that will "ride along" and show you the ropes... I had no one for at least a year and it was a very expensive 'school'...

*** A lot depends on whether of not you are doing this as you ONLY MEANS OF INCOME... if so, you are taking a very big step and I can tell you that it is always a good idea to have a very solid backup plan and if possible... other income to sustain you in your learning time... this is a rough business and it is full of charlatans... who will take you to the cleaners...

You got a post from Steve F. in Ohio... I think that would be one of the best contacts you could make... he is honest and will steer you in the right direction and answer a lot of your questions... I would recommend contacting him at the get go....

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion