Pace yourself!! • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Pace yourself!!
 Post Posted: Thu 26 Jul 2012 12:16 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Experience: More than 10 years
This is a true story and I hope some of you will start taking better care of yourselves because of it.

I was hunting a guy a couple three weeks ago. This guy knew when we caught him he was going to prison so he never stayed in the same place . He would deal drugs at night, with look outs and sleep during the day. he never slept in the same house for more than one day. Skip tracing brought little info. We chased this man in NC, SC and Georgia. It was 118 degrees in the shade the last couple days of the chase. Well, the guy is now in jail. I got sick and run down and until today haven't felt like doing anything, which is pretty much what I've done.

Several weeks ago, I was asked to locate and re-arrest a guy from Florida that had been seen in my neck of the woods. I skip traced this guy and found his Mother lived about 45 minutes from me. So off I go and I was told by the mother that the marshall service had already been there and she hadn't seen her son in several months. She said the marshall service had searched her home and then she said don't they need a warrant to search my home? I didn't reply. It turns out that an "Agent Greeno" (some of you knw who I'm talking about) from SC had been to her house and searched the place and in fact had spooked my guy. I stayed in the area for awhile(days) and my guy wasn't there. Last night I decided to skip trace this guy again and found him to be in jail in Florida for the same charges I was looking fo him on. He had returned to the Mother. The moral to this story is, if I had taken better care of myself I would have apprehended my guy. I called the client last night to tell him his guy was in custody, but I had done nothing to cause this. Since then, I've been drinking ton's of water, taking vitamins and drinking something I can't spell that my wife got for me. This has cost me a lot of money but more importantly has screwed up my reputation as being a person that usually gets the guy..Not bragging, I just work really hard. Anyway, if you are not eating correctly and exercing on a regular basis please start taking care of yourself, if you don't, you will be as mad at yourself, as I am myself.

Take care

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post subject: Re: Pace yourself!!
 Post Posted: Thu 26 Jul 2012 16:18 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Glad to hear that you are ok don't beet your self up

Post Posted: Thu 26 Jul 2012 16:46 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
I cant understand how Super Agent "MARSHAL"Greeno is not back in Jail yet .. UGH ..

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Thu 26 Jul 2012 17:21 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Jeff,

I haven't heard from Marshall Greeno in a while. Maybe he went back to Indiana, where he was pardoned. Pardoned, so long as he doesn't go to Indiana for 2 more years.... :D

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Post Posted: Thu 26 Jul 2012 17:51 

Bill,

I agree with you 100%! In this profession, it is very easy to get out of shape quick. We are usually working anywhere from 12-15 hour days, sitting in our vehicles and eating fast food for most of that time, and when we get home, we are usually so tired that we just want to relax.

I started going to the gym in the mornings before work. I made it part of my "work day". It sucked for the first couple of weeks until I get used to getting up a little earlier, but now I look forward to it in the morning. Besides the general health benefits that eating right and regular exercise provide, let's not forget what business we are in.

Although with proper planning, MOST recoveries go smoothly, we must always be prepared to fight for our lives, as one day we may be in that very position. When I was in the military, they always used to say, "The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat!" There is some truth to that.

Just my two cents.

Post Posted: Thu 26 Jul 2012 18:40 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
Diet makes a lot of difference...

I have been back on the mat studying Vanguard Krav Maga® Force, and running 1 min, within or under 10min.

Prior, I was smoking. I had to give it up, a goal has to be attained, both personal and profession.

The major influence, and the deciding factor was, when I read an old post written by Sir, Rex Venator.

Below is an interesting read, I used to participate in Triathlon in college, what he wrote down are footnotes to a great workout/routine.

Quote:
"Rapid Recovery During Critical Incident Training"

Cycling is a low impact (so long as you don’t crash or get hit by a vehicle) and excellent form of high endurance and power training that is easy on the body compared to other activities that require pounding the pavement; however, cycling is in support of bounty hunting work to the extent the some running should be incorporated into one’s training program that should also include some strength training.

With the above noted, it is important to understand that cycling can greatly enhance other activities like swimming, grappling, and other aspects common to bounty hunting: walking up hills, traversing wooded areas, walking up flights of stairs, and etceteras; moreover, cycling can also be used as a surveillance technique as people generally don’t pay any mind to people on bicycles.

“Lactate Threshold” is that point of anaerobic (muscle work without oxygen) physical activity where the body produces Lactic acid at near maximum energy output. We feel this, for example, when weight training and muscles start to give out, or, as commonly referenced, “feeling the burn.”

By wearing a heart rate monitor during exercise, we can accurately predict when Lactate acid will build up in the blood and cause contractile failure. For example, I know that I will experience “the burn” at or around 175 beats per minute, but I can avoid the acid build up by cruising between 155 and 165 beats per minute—by knowing my Lactate Threshold.

I can slim down by training below Lactate Threshold for longer rides, and I can bulk up relative muscles by interval training consisting of repeated and intentional physical excursion into the 175 and 180 beat per minute range for 10 to 30 seconds at a time.

By and large, sedentary but otherwise healthy people experiencing physical exertion will feel the body wanting to stop in a rather painful way, but, if one pushes past this point, the activity will become tolerable.

I will sometimes refer to cycling workouts as detoxification or “detoxing.” People think I’m talking about getting off some drug addiction, but, in reality, endurance training—I believe—forces the body to expel environmental or other impurities due in part to the need to consume liquids while losing fluids to avoid dehydration. I can consume upwards of 64 ounces of fluid an hour while cycling in the heat. Since we lose fluids by breathing, think about what we’re huffing and puffing out.

How does all this apply to bounty hunting?

Hitting Lactate Threshold repeatedly will cause the body to recover faster as training progresses. Early in the cycling season, I will break the crest of a hill at a high heart rate, and it can take a couple of minutes for my heart rate to drop back down to cruising levels; conversely, deeper into the cycling season, my heart rate will drop within 10 to 30 seconds after breaking the same crest.

Imagine engaging an SIQ in a foot-chase. You finally catch up, and the SIQ turns to resist apprehension or attack you. Would it not be advantageous if your heart rate dropped below exhaustion levels in 10 to 30 seconds versus two or more minutes?

Also, we may experience the trained body wanting to quit later rather than sooner, which is ideal for bounty hunting.

Where else does rapid recovery training help?

Some firearms training consists of running an obstacle course (much like in a foot-chase) and then trying to place accurate rounds downrange. Again, would it not be advantageous to recover quicker from physical exertion? Incidents can go down rather quickly, and fate is not going to wait for you to catch your breath.

What about partner safety?

Think about it. A partner who is in reasonable shape will be more likely to be there at the end of a foot chase, during a struggle to control an SIQ, and stands a reduced chance of leaving you on your own due to being in poor shape. You owe it to your partners to be in comparable shape, in my opinion.

What about stress relief?

In point of fact, I personally deal with stress much better by plainly and simply being too tired to freak out about matters of importance and therefore can better negotiate life obstacles. Also, a fatigued body as the result of cycling may result in not being kept awake by racing thoughts, for the body has to shut down to repair.

With all this shared, it is my personal opinion that the heart is a muscle that will need time to repair just like any other muscle in the body that has been torn down by exercise; therefore, my suggestion is not to cycle if your legs, for example, are still sore. Once the legs feel normal the heart should be equally ready for the next workout.

Here we come to vanity.

Let us write freely. Apart from the health benefits, the aesthetic results of real training—trimmed down waistline, shapely legs, clearer complexion, feeling of well-being, and other benefits can only enhance the confidence that comes from being in shape during bounty hunts.

I could go on, but I think my position on why I cycle is becoming more clear.

BailSpeak Alumni
N.A.B.B.I member

Post Posted: Fri 27 Jul 2012 08:46 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
I remember the days / nights of doing round the clock surveillance my partner and I taking turns sleeping. Exhaustion, stiff neck etc.... spending a lot of time talking to hostile people that tell you anything but the truth, junkie informants, driving endless miles chasing leads.

That's the nature of the business, it will take a lot out of you especially when you're working a lot of cases.

Now that I have a family I work at a very different pace. This is part time for me. I will only work 1 maybe 2 cases at any given time. I normally don't take on more than 1 case a month. And I delegate where possible.

It's amazing the perception that these TV shows give. Cases closed, skips apprehended all within a 30 minute episode. A "gang" of six people making the apprehension. In reality (not reality TV) slicing the pie 6 ways just doesn't make enough dollars and cents to make it profitable. Where possible I try to get law enforcement to make the apprehension, because that = less liability and more money for me. I mentor people interested in the profession and trade my knowledge for their assistance, the ones that are serious are happy to work for free to gain the knowledge and experience, but I do pay for their meals and give them a little piece of the pie anyways. Most of the people I agree to train already have some military, law enforcement or corrections experience.

There's no point in burning yourself out. This profession doesn't come with benefits i.e. health insurance, workers comp, pension etc.. In my opinion low impact is the only sustainable business model for this industry.

Post Posted: Fri 27 Jul 2012 11:01 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Chuck Jordan is correct, I have taught the "low impact" approach for many years. I have done my time of week long surveillance, cross country road trips etc. And I would not change any of those experiences for a dime or a donut! I am older and hopefully wiser now, and mentoring has it's own plusses and minuses, but allows one to pass the torch. There is a distinct difference between now and when we started, computers, work ethics, desire as well as honor and integrity have the juxtaposition of a "then and now" diametrically different definitions. To thine own self be true!

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Fri 27 Jul 2012 17:40 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3671
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Minor surgery on Thursday, 7/19, and a pretty nasty car accident, likely partly due to coming back too soon after surgery, on 7/24. Yeah, I get the "pace yourself" thing NOW. With a little luck, and a long weekend of doing absolutely NOTHING, I will be back at it on Monday.

Ca. Bail Agent Lic#1845795
Owner/Operator, Thomas Duprey Bail Bonds
Owner/Operator, Orange County Bounty
(714) 727-4689

Post Posted: Fri 27 Jul 2012 18:21 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Tom.

I hope you get to feeling better really soon and I hope you don't rush things to the point that you're set back any longer than necessary. I started this topic just as a reminfer to folks that we need to take care of ourselves as well as we take care of the tools we use in this business. It took me ending up flat on my back to realize I wasn't taking care of myself. I plan on doing this type work full bore until I can't do it any longer. Heck I've been in work similar to this since I was 17, some 40 years. I own a bonding company and do recoveries because I absolutely love this business and don't know much else. There won't be any slowing down until I wear myself out, or get too old to continue. You, on the other hand are still a young man and I really do hope you take good care of yourself, you have a lot of years left in this business. I have a feeling Debi is going to make sure you take care :D Anyways, just wanted to explain the reasoning of this subject and Ihope you get feeling better really soon.

Be Safe!!

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion