Questions regarding ND Laws • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Questions regarding ND Laws
 Post Posted: Wed 22 Feb 2012 17:22 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could help me with information. I currently live in ND and am looking at getting into Fugitive Recovery. I have contacted my State Insurance office asking questions about this, and they do not regulate it they said. They regulate bail bondsman and that's about it. Is there a clear cut way to determine if your state, in no way, regulates Fugitive Recovery Agents?

Some military friends and myself are looking at getting into this field part time, as we all have military/criminal justice backgrounds.

Any information would be MUCH appreciated.

Thank you,

Ryan

Post subject: Re: Questions regarding ND Laws
 Post Posted: Wed 22 Feb 2012 17:43 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
http://fugitiverecovery.com/laws/northdakota.htm

This came off our site... simple search... you may want to verify this by simply searching on the ND Gov. websites... the info is there.

As far as I can determine... Bail bondmen are regulated, recovery agents are not.... that about sums it up... and what that comes down to... is .... any "yahoo" with an urge can try it... which makes for a very unfortunate outcome in most cases.... if I was a licensed bondsman in ND.... I wouldn't even consider hiring someone that is untrained... and since there are no regulations... be extremely vigilant on who you hook up with for training, this industry is full of charlatans... search, ask questions and get plenty of references... and keep your money in your pocket until you know what and who you are dealing with.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Wed 22 Feb 2012 18:05 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Thank you for the speedy reply.

That is what I gathered as well for the most part from the sentry codes. However, to me, it seems outrageous that I could just throw on a belt with handcuffs, a gun and go arrest people for bondsmen. Is that essentially what it means then?

Also, I did not find anything regarding the use of tactical gear. Not saying that is our desired way to go - just looking at what we can/can't use. It should be listed as well in the sentry code one would think, but nothing is there - does that mean it's permitted?

Again, I apologize for all the questions; new to this field!

Thank you,

Ryan

Post Posted: Wed 22 Feb 2012 18:06 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Also, if I may, as a licensed bondsman, what are your views on hiring Military trained Recovery agents?

Post Posted: Wed 22 Feb 2012 22:11 
in memoriam

First... and these are my opinions only, others have theirs and may respond... what it means is that it is "unregulated"... meaning whatever you do, is your deal... and you are totally responsible for your actions... which in the eyes of the law... is a very broad and very dangerous position to be in... because you leave your actions open to whatever LE, the courts or the powers that be want to bring down on you...

Second question... hiring former (I don't like the "ex" word)... military... well, military training basically prepares you for "lethal combat"... I realize skills such as search, seize, detain, interrogate, evaluate, defend, self defense, weapons training, non lethal weapons training and investigative training are all part but I have found that strictly military training alone is just not enough... this business is different in many aspects and too broad to go into here in one or two posts... your training is certainly well received but needs to be honed in a very different direction.... IMHO.

Probably 95% of what you would encounter in the real life BEA or bonding field would (again, this is my opinion) very likely fall into the investigative, surveillance, interview, gathering and evaluating information type activities... physical altercations and/or the use of weapons, either lethal or non lethal or the use of self defense tactics are limited.... I am a bondsman, not a BEA, but I have done recoveries in my capacity for over 12 years and can number the physical altercations on two hands... and those were quick and very minimum... exciting I suppose, but not something that TV would like to see.......

So to answer your question, sure, I'd hire former military but they must have BEA training from a reputable school and also have a verifiable background in the field. All the bondsmen I know, who are the real deal, will not consider a BEA without verifying their credentials... training and references...

BTW, thank you for you service, I am an old 'former' Marine... I did absolutely nothing heroic in my service and I always want to thank guys that have seen the 'elephant'... My advice to you would be to go into law enforcement but this is certainly your decision.

Good luck.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Looking for mentors; ND
 Post Posted: Thu 23 Feb 2012 06:19 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

As moderator... I merged your two threads since they were both closely related... for the sake of clarity, no harm done.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello again everyone,

First, I would like to thank everyone who responded with help regarding my ND State law questions. After deciding that I would like to give this field a shot; I am looking for some more help!

I am told I need a mentor, someone to gain experience from. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who would, to use the cliche, 'take me under their wing'. I currently reside in ND, so if there is anyone in this region that could help me out, that would be great. Does anyone know of any FRA that are in ND anyways? Just curious.

If there isn't anyone in ND, then I wonder if anyone would mind if they could be my 'go to' guy. Someone who I can ask the random questions that arise without having to post a new topic every time.

As always, any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Ryan

Post Posted: Thu 23 Feb 2012 06:43 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
My concern would be the volume of business to support you given the population density of North Dakota. I am aware there is a new and booming oil business and working that area will be profitable if handles correctly. Go to my website, www.bailmd.com and there are links to online training there. Best of luck in your future endeavors and thanks for your service to our country.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Thu 23 Feb 2012 07:01 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Scott,

Thank you for your reply. I have questioned that as well; the population density. The area that I live, Fargo, has around 200k people within Fargo and its surrounding areas. Do you think that would be enough people? Even if I do this only part time to gain the experience.

Also, do you have any advice on how to advertise ourselves? Do we just walk right up to a bondsman? Again, I apologize for all the 'rookie' questions, but as that's what I am, there ya go!

Thank you,

Ryan

Post Posted: Thu 23 Feb 2012 07:19 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Several responses, first to operational acceptability, go to the local LE where you intend to work and ask their opinions. Though it may not be codified or regulated, gaining their opinion will garner credibility for you. Second, go to the jail and see who is posting bail and who is surrendering fugitives, those two pieces of intelligence will be keys to your success. Ask the CO's who is the best bondsman/recovery guy, that will also be helpful. Approach these people and offer to work for free until you have developed beneficial skill sets.

You have to understand the dynamic at play here: You want in to what is essentially a closed business. The people that can help you don't need another inexperienced wanna bee hanging around that could be another liability. To pay you and train you just doesn't compute to them. They would have to give up a share of their limited income while training a less than productive team member, so you must figure out a means to motivate them to take this approach.

Hence the working for free concept, how bad do you want it? I have trained many that felt that they knew it all after 1 or 2 cases and others that had a "come to Jesus" meeting and quickly learned that this business was not for them.

Go work in a bail bond office of the most honest and reputable guy that you can find, for free. The education that you will glean you could not buy anywhere.

Best of luck,

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Thu 23 Feb 2012 07:30 
in memoriam

Quote:
Also, do you have any advice on how to advertise ourselves? Do we just walk right up to a bondsman? Again, I apologize for all the 'rookie' questions, but as that's what I am, there ya go!

Face to face... the only way... but without the "credentials" your reception will probably be rather cool... or "frosty" in ND... get the training because as I have mentioned... that is what will open the doors... we, as bondmen, get calls and solicitations regularly, from untrained BEA folks that for some reason believe that just because they are "tough" they can do the job... ain't so.......... frankly... and again... this is my opinion only... I would rather have someone that looks and acts like "Mr. Rogers"... or "Wally Cox" (remember him?) who has a good verifiable background with training, than someone who looks like a member of the "Octagon"...

Again,,,, read and search this site... most of your questions have already been answered here and can be found using the neat little search engine... again.. good luck.

PS... Scott just gave you some really good advice...

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion