Bail Law in Marion County, IN • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Bail Law in Marion County, IN
 Post Posted: Thu 09 Feb 2012 15:20 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
Court 11 in Marion County, IN has had me scratching my head for some time now.
Indiana bail seem like it is very clear on who may and may not write bail bonds but the judges in Marion County seem to making up the rules as they go. I am continuing to dig thru the state statutes regarding this and will update as soon as I think that I have the answer.

I was recently told by another bail agent, whom serves as a mentor for me, that the judges in this county are commiting a class D felony when they set bond on a felony charge as PR ( either means personal recognizance or percentage return). State law allows for a Cash Bond to be set at 10% of the amount it would be if were a surety. On a PR bond, bond is set at the "surety" amount and the court will accept 10% cash. This was, and I still believe that the law says it has to be, accepted as cash or surety. Court 11 in Marion County will only accept 10% cash. This is not in keeping with code LR49-CR00-108. Here is a link to a redacted version:
http://indygov.org/eGov/County/Clerk/Do ... %20_3_.pdf

Even with the redaction, there is nothing in this at all stating that surety cannot be posted. At the Court 11 desk is where this new "rule" is posted and nowhere else that I am aware of.

This "anti-surety" measure is severly cutting into commercial bail in a city where a responsible agent can actually make a living writing bond.

Perplexed....

BTW, Court 11 is the court that every arrestee in Marion County goes through as part of their proccessing.

Cell- 317-640-0724

Post subject: Re: Bail Law in Marion County, IN
 Post Posted: Fri 10 Feb 2012 12:49 

Bryan,

Welcome to Bail 101 in Marion Co. The Bail Agent you spoke with is correct and you're going to find that a majority of the Judges in Marion Co. could care less about the laws written on Bail and have been pretty much writing their own for about the last 5 yrs and it has only been getting worse. I wrote Bail in Indiana from '03 to '07 and i'm getting ready to go through prelicensing this month to get them back. I still know several Bail Agents that have said Bail Bonds in Marion Co. have almost become non-existent. There are alot of counties (especially far Southern Indiana and Northeast Indiana) that have went strickly cash, although, a few have gone back to surety. Good Luck!

Mark Mattingly

Post Posted: Fri 10 Feb 2012 16:32 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
I misrepresented the "D felony" thing... The felony is committed when a judge sets a bond as PR and refuses to accept surety.
On an unrelated note, I intend to proof read all of my posts from now on. I hate reading all of my typos.

Cell- 317-640-0724

Post Posted: Fri 10 Feb 2012 21:34 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Experience: More than 10 years
Bryan,
When you get to be my age and your sugar changes your eyesight, you won't see the mistakes until it is too late to edit them. When you are as anal as I am about how you present yourself publicly, it can be very disappointing. I don't post from my phone anymore, can't see those little keys!

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Fri 10 Feb 2012 21:41 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
ahhhh . . . so that was the problem with your spellin . . . I thought that you was just messing with me ;)

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Sat 11 Feb 2012 18:30 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Quote:
When you get to be my age and your sugar changes your eyesight, you won't see the mistakes until it is too late to edit them. When you are as anal as I am about how you present yourself publicly, it can be very disappointing.

One of the main reasons I like being a moderator on this site... is the ability to edit, correct or delete things that I post and go back and read a day or so later and change my mind as to leaving it on here.... I have done that a number of times over the past few years....

... presenting myself publicly... is something I ordinarily do not concern myself with... I am ok with who I am... although I often wish to retract certain statements, stories or comments I may make in the heat of the moment or the excitement of the thread.... I always say... 'what you see is what you get'... but sometimes I really do embarrass myself.. and that is extremely upsetting....

BTW, Scott, if you see something you wish to have removed... just call me and I'll take care of it for ya.... what are friends for...

... now, back to the article of this thread....

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sat 11 Feb 2012 22:27 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Quote:
if you see something you wish to have removed... just call me and I'll take care of it for ya.... what are friends for...

Uhm . . . Nope

What you see is what you get.
We are no better than the new people that come here.
We "own" what we write. Just as we "own" our actions or lack thereof. I have, in all my time here, never deleted one of my statements. I have come back, if I find that I leaped before I was sure, and corrected myself.
That is what Professionals do. We own it.
WE do not run from what we have said. Good, Bad, Ugly or flipping Indifferent. period.
Verified members have the ability to edit their owns posts. It will show that they have edited, thereby letting others know that the "crazy" or "pissy" responses just may have been warranted. No one will be made to look stupid here. Unless they do it to themselves.
We can "retract" (that shows, not only humaness, but character) we cannot delete . . . Once a statement is made and others respond, it destroys the integrity of the thread to arbitrarily 'delete' just because someone is a friend. I do not care who you are.
Remember the Madi incident ? That will not happen again. We need new blood here. We are not going to cut off our legs and bleed out just to save face.
We can, however, if a thread is getting out of line . . . Lock it, move it, split it, and return it to where it belongs, so that the intent of the original poster is retained. The split posts are NOT deleted.
Yes, people we do have logs that shows who did what. How did Scott put it ? Oh yeah . . . "Like a Self Cleaning Oven". I love that line, it so is true.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

Post Posted: Sun 12 Feb 2012 06:26 
in memoriam

Quote:
We "own" what we write. Just as we "own" our actions or lack thereof. I have, in all my time here, never deleted one of my statements. I have come back, if I find that I leaped before I was sure, and corrected myself.

Wow.... :oops: one day I hope to be perfect and never have to delete, retract or correct anything I say... one day?? :roll:

... but for now, I will just have to deal with myself on a level that needs constant fixin'... I hope I can correct my dysfunctional style... cause at 67... ain't a lot of time left!!! :shock:

... thank you Lord for the delete button... on the computer and in life.... 8)

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 12 Feb 2012 06:56 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Bill . . . Not perfect :? You missed the part . . . that I come back and "correct" what I have stated. I do not "delete" . .. remember the not too distant thread where someone had the ability to delete / edit and thereby caused what was being said to that party to look as tho it were an attack ?

Deleting and seriously editing ones' posts cause things to appear to be what they are not. That is the point that was to be taken from my post. I will not be "perfect" til I go "Home" and even then I will have to be fitted with my Wings :mrgreen:

and . .. I very rarely "delete" people out of my life . . . 8)

Post Posted: Sun 12 Feb 2012 08:42 
in memoriam

Quote:
and . .. I very rarely "delete" people out of my life

ahh... I think you too missed my point... I didn't say delete people... I said delete 'my comments'... and I repeat and stand by my statement... "thank you Lord for the delete button"... that is why, before the electronic age... they put erasers on the ends of the pencils...................... erase, delete... all the same.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion