Private Investigator Intern • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Private Investigator Intern
 Post Posted: Fri 26 Aug 2011 08:10 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
When preparing oneself for sponsorship as an intern in private investigations, is there a proper protocol to follow when presenting yourself to a potential sponsor?

Thank you,

Post subject: Re: Private Investigator Intern
 Post Posted: Thu 08 Sep 2011 09:44 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4428
Experience: 7 - 10 years
your sponsor is the one that's going to have to file all the paperwork with the department of agriculture and consumer services. all your going to have to do is fill out in your information and sign on the X's. I hope you having some good stuff to bring to the table because finding a sponsor is very hard to do, but good luck none the less.

Suite A
Plantation Key, FL 33070
Office 305-451-2593
Cell 305-766-1710

Post Posted: Thu 08 Sep 2011 10:47 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Thank you.

Post Posted: Fri 09 Sep 2011 07:47 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Yes, Mr. Vigil,

I realize that I have lot to learn(understatement).

I realize that I haven't done my family or myself any favors by choosing Private Investigations as new career this "late" in life with absolutely no experience in the field. I'll be 50 in April.

I realize that I cannot expect to saunter into a fine forum, such as this, chock-full of some of the most highly respected professionals in their fields and expect them to be falling all over themselves on their way to answering my question. The silence spoke volumes. But you never know unless you ask.

I realize that I am not "entitled" to or owed anything by anyone. Whatever I achieve will be done by hardwork.

I realize that "educating Bob" does not end with the eventual acquisition of my license. It shall be on-going, probably right up to the day I get planted.

....that being said, I am extremely confident in my abilities and prepared for the challenge. I have no illusions. Eyes wide open, as they say. I know my capabilities and limitations.

Thanx again for your response and well wishes,

Post Posted: Fri 09 Sep 2011 08:37 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Experience: More than 10 years
Bob,

Just wanted you to know that I'm not familiar with your state's PI laws and can't help with your questions. I saw your post a couple days ago and if I could help you by way of answering your questions I would, but to attempt do that with no knowledge wouldn't be fair to you. I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Take care

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Fri 09 Sep 2011 12:18 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Mr. Williams,
I appreciate it. I've spoken at length with the nice woman in charge of PI licensing at the Fl. Dept. of Agric., Ms. Vickers. Very helpful. A few months ago, she was kind enough to send me a packet containing the appropriate applications, for when the time comes, information on the required 40 hour PI course, and the handbook. Detailed information on the Florida PI requirements are listed at the Florida Department of Agriculture's website. I just didn't know if it was "proper" or "accepted practice" to look for a sponsor a) prior to applying for the "cc" license or after, b) prior to finishing school or after c) both or d) neither. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row, in that respect, as not to approach a potential sponsor with my wheelbarrowful of ignorance, crashing around his/her office like a bull in a china shop. That wouldn't be pretty.

Thanx,

Post Posted: Fri 09 Sep 2011 12:42 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Bob,
Your age is not material. We are professionals here and we do not waste people's times with opinions when we do not know the answer to the question. There are forums full of people clambering to give you the answers, generally not based on anything other than their desire to make another post. I am not familiar with FL statutes and a google search will make you just as informed as I were i so inclined. As an investigator, the first test is digging up the information for yourself and you can trust information from others, but you still must verify. When you testify to something in court, it may be the door that opens new business or your last testimony ever. Our business is based on reputation, and as for the learning curve, I am learning everyday. There will always be something that comes up that you have not dealt with, no shame, become the expert on that topic. There is an excellent opportunity for you to become educated by investing a little in yourself, www.pieducation.com authored by the internationally acclaimed Scott Harrell, who is a member here and a stand out in Surety Education business models.

Do not read more into the silence then is there, when you hit on a topic that someone has experience in, they will absolutely pipe up.

Welcome aboard,

Scott #2

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Fri 09 Sep 2011 14:33 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Thank you, Scott, it is a pleasure to be here.

Post Posted: Sat 10 Sep 2011 06:22 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Hello Bob and Welcome..

FL is a tough state when it comes to PI work.. the pay is not bad if you can find a good company. (Interns would most likely start out in the $13 - $16 /hr at best, until you have your Full C license then you might be looking at anywhere from $16 to $25 an hour + expenses etc..but the pay scale you get all comes with the experience you bring to the table, so dont be discouraged or insulted when some companies may offer you a welfare type pay scale cause that is what happens here in FL, especially someone new with no experience yet. This new class training only started up a few years ago and pretty much is new to me as I never had to take this class. The only way I would need to take this class is if I let my license expire and then would need to jump through hoops to get it back so that wont be happening.. there are horror stories in any field and in the PI field they are present too.. I have heard of PI companies here in Miami "charging" you $500 a year for your internship hours so they will sign off on your hours for the state which is illegal to do FYI.. these are not the reputable companies you want to work for.. I know people pay this as they are desperate to get sponsored but this may only teach you the wrong workings of what a true investigator can learn & earn in the long run.

I would contact the PI companies in your area and inquire if they are hiring and be honest and up front.. you might get lucky where a company might wanna take you on and "Mold" you to their wants and needs as an Investigator.. I would also say to you that having the proper equipment for this job prior to applying is a must, as alot of companies do not supply you with this equipment although there are some that do.. Camcorder 200X Zoom (w/ NightVision)..Digital Camera..(35 MM Camera with Zoom Lenses).. Tape Recorder.. Binoculars (10x50 or better)..Cell phone .. Lap Top (w/mobile internet)..fax machine at home and the ability or knowledge to upload videos in an email after doing a case, along with a good detailed report of your investigation so the company may forward all this info to their client(s)...a good running auto (as you most likely will be sitting for hours and hours in your car doing insurance fraud claims like workers comp / and injury - accident claims where people are saying they are injured trying to cash in on a payday with fake injuries as they play basketball with their kids on Sunday at the park or go shopping at home depot and are lifting huge pieces of wood into their vehicles all the while you filming them and following them around their entire day.. (Now as far as Tinted Wiindows go for FL.. until you get your CC or C license make sure your tint on your vehicle is not too "blacked out" as you would not want any tickets for tint too dark by a bored cop out there :lol: .. after you obtain your license you may legally black out all your windows and even tint your front windshield as well, as PI's in FL we are exempt from the window tint law in section 316.29545 of the FL Statutes. Your windows can be so tinted as a PI that you can flip people off ..drive naked and not one person would even be able to see inside the vehicle..front..back ..or sides.. :mrgreen: but that will come after you get into the business..but all that I mentioned above will be needed eventually if this is your path you choose.

But the one thing that is required right now by you is.. Patience.. in this economy it is not easy to find new work. Especially being brand new in this area.. but Dont give up if this is what you want to do..

Best of Luck to ya ! I hope you find what you are looking for..!

Jeff

Here is a link that offers jobs for PI work in FL.. try here and also look in the Craigslist area of Security for PI work.. you might get someone to pick up your sponsorship.. the worse they can tell you is NO.. but you will not know until you call and ask..

http://www.getprivateinvestigatorjobs.com/Florida.html

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Sat 10 Sep 2011 14:57 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Thanks, Jeff -
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Division of Licensing requirements for a Class"C" license. Must have "2 years of lawfully gained, verifiable, full-time experience". This can be achieved by a combination of the following-a) work in private investigative or related field. b) college course work or completed law-enforcement related training.( a maximum of one year is to be admited as academic experience).c) Work as a Class "CC" intern. The program I enrolled in at City College is the ONLY "diploma program" or "non-degree program" the the Fl. Dept. of Agric. recognizes as required college course work. Their required academic-year is the comletion of 34 credits. This program is 38. Although they are non-transferrable. There are plenty of P.I. college courses out there,and they will be happy to take your money, but they CANNOT be used in the State of Florida if you want to get your license here. Do not listen to the admissions rep. Go to the Fl. Dept. of Agric. website and/or call them. Ask them exactly what is recognized. As of April, they were working on allowing Penn-Foster"s P.I. program to be admissable. City College also includes some of the equipment that you mentioned in their program package - Laptop / 1 yr wifi, flash drive, digital 35mm, camcorder, binoculars, and a tape recorder. I don't know how this program stacks up against any others as I don't have anything to compare it to.
Thanx for your advice,

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion