Dealing with landlords and people in neighboring apartments. • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: Dealing with landlords and people in neighboring apartme
 Post Posted: Wed 10 Aug 2011 08:07 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
I have been in apartments where the maintenance man grabs a big flashlight and knocks for us! :)

I am not a BEA - just a Bondsman trying to improve and become a better bondsman.

Post Posted: Wed 10 Aug 2011 08:38 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 3815
I can't remember how many maintenance guys have helped us. The skips can never seem to put the right apt number on the application. And in Texas we're not allowed to enter a house without permission from an occupant so I've done the apt security I think your car has been involved in a hit and run in the parking lot. I even had one guy after I had him cuffs still asking if his truck was ok.

MAS Security Agency Lic # C13647
979-299-9484

Post Posted: Wed 10 Aug 2011 13:49 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Experience: More than 10 years
I'm with Scott on this one. I can't recall being asked to leave by an apartment manager. Like Scott, I make contact with management prior to the apprehension, introducing myself and explaining as much as I can what my plans are and why, along with showing my credentials and the warrant. From there things have gone well.

As far as the "drunks" go, I've had friends and family try and protect their own and I guess that's just the way it is but if you carry yourself with confidence and determination most people won't try and get in your way.

In my state, an apartment isn't a third party residence if the defendant is living there, on the lease etc. But i don't worry too much about a third party residence, I'm not kicking in any doors anyway. There are many ways to get your defendant out and one of them is just to wait.

Example, I got a call and was told the man I was looking for was at a particular address, armed,on drugs and would not answer the door. I went there and after knocking several times with no answer I waited a couple minutes lifted the hood of my car (car was positioned at the front of his home) kicked the bumper, cussed a few times, acted as if I were working on it. A few minutes later I went back to the door, knocked, the guy came to the door and I asked if I could get some water cause my car had overheated. He went inside to get the water and when he came back on the porch with his hand full of a jug of water I arrested him. I've used these tactics in many states and am very proud to say I've never kicked in a door.

Having said that, if you kick in doors it's fine with me. I wasn't standing in your shoes. To be perfectly honest, I did have a skip try and shut an interior door on me once. I grabbed the top of the door as he was slamming it and it broke off at the hinges...I paid for the door because I wanted to not because I had to. Man, I'm rambling now, but I would seriously take a look at my approach Ron, it may or may not be you that is at fault

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Fri 12 Aug 2011 00:13 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Again my approach is very low key, just a dude with a limp in street clothes and a fanny pack (That day I forgot the cane) nothing threatening. This Landlord got nosy and was uptight. The drunks were itching for a fight.

I honestly cannot see what I did wrong - if anyone can spot a deficiency, I am open to ideas or suggestions.

I am not a BEA - just a Bondsman trying to improve and become a better bondsman.

Post Posted: Fri 12 Aug 2011 20:37 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Hell, I have had management give me a key and promise not to destroy their door, just put the key in the drop box when you get him and give us a call in the morning so we can evict them!

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Sat 13 Aug 2011 15:20 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Ron,

After reading your introduction again, it might be that you need more experience in recovering skips. This work is nothing like "Undercover Security" work. These folks are losing their freedom and some will go to extreme measures to ensure that doesn't happen.

Maybe find a Recovery Agent that has tons of experience in apprehending fugitives to show you the ropes befoe walking around with a cane, limp and fanny pack. Some people we apprehend look for weakness and carrying a cane won't help you and I don't recall the last time I saw someone with a fanny pack...I'm getting older so I could be wrong about the fanny pack but I can assure you I wouldn't wear one anywhere...

Lastly, maybe you just had a bad day as we all do from time to time but I'd seriously look for someone experienced in this field to show you the ropes before you get too deep into this.

Scott has done this for years and they gave him the key! I doubt they would do this if they didn't feel confident that he knew what he was doing. I'm not busting you up on this one, just something to think about so maybe you won't get hurt.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Sat 13 Aug 2011 17:14 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3671
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Apartment managers love me! I've been let in to who knows how many complexes and even had one manager knock on the door for me because we knew they'd answer for them! It's all in the approach. Going to them also legitimizes you in their eyes.

Ca. Bail Agent Lic#1845795
Owner/Operator, Thomas Duprey Bail Bonds
Owner/Operator, Orange County Bounty
(714) 727-4689

Post Posted: Sun 14 Aug 2011 14:12 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
I have had the occasion to run into a landlord/manager that refuses to "allow" me on the property, however, because LE already knows I am present, I make the suggestion that the police be called so that "charges of harboring and aiding the fugitive do not get brought against them by my client". I have never had anyone to continue to refuse entry after this.

More often, I am given free reign of the complex and have been given keys. I have, also, been let in by management or maintenance. Last on the list are the landlords/management that say "If they don't open up....kick the door in. That is what we have maintenance for." Although the last is not often, I have heard it and that is the reply that I dislike the most. I don't like to kick in doors.....expecially at apartments. They are made to withstand nuclear attacks, I think (OUCH!!!). I was given keys to a restraunt, at one time. The owner wanted to prove himself cooprative in the capture of one of his prep cooks so he told me to let myself in before business hours and take "my guy"...."just leave the key in the drop box", he said.

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Sun 14 Aug 2011 15:09 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: < 1 year
SnowWolf i will definitely remember that one

"I make the suggestion that the police be called so that "charges of harboring and aiding the fugitive do not get brought against them by my client"."

I can't imagine that most people would become uncooperative after that, and if they do, like you said LE already knows your there so just give them a call as long as you know for sure your perp is there.

Denver, Co
Skype greyfoxisa

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Post Posted: Sun 14 Aug 2011 15:33 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 1 year
B Williams wrote:
I don't recall the last time I saw someone with a fanny pack...I'm getting older so I could be wrong about the fanny pack but I can assure you I wouldn't wear one anywhere...

To me, fanny pack = concealed weapon.

California PC1299 Compliant Fugitive Recovery
Process Serving
Mobile Notary
Security Consulting

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion