Negative Bail Bonds Coverage in the Media • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Negative Bail Bonds Coverage in the Media
 Post Posted: Mon 01 Aug 2011 10:01 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/minnesota/2-minneapolis-men-charged-in-bail-bond-%E2%80%98beat-downs%E2%80%99-feb-24-2011

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/crime/gustafson-sr-turns-self-in-to-police-after-13-days-jul-7-2011

Here are some quotes from the two articles....(just quotes)

Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS - After a years-long investigation, two Minneapolis men associated with a bail bond business are facing multiple felony charges accusing them of assault, terroristic threats, kidnapping, drug and weapons trafficking, and mortgage fraud.

Quote:
Police said a group operating under the name “Beat Down Posse,” lead by Joseph Duane Gustafson Jr. and his right-hand man, Troy Michael Neuberger, committed a series of violent crimes between 2005 and 2009 using the authority of bail bondsmen working for Gustafson’s Bail Bonds, Inc.

They would do Hector Searches, breaking into homes looking for "Hector" on Bail Violations and then robbing people inside.

More quotes...

Quote:
.....being investigated for allegations of operating a family crime ring out of their Minneapolis bail bond office.

Quote:
Police say the Gustafsons terrorized north Minneapolis for decades, and now that Gustafson Sr. is behind bars, police believe they are one step closer to putting the gang known as the "Beat Down Posse" out of business

Quote:
"Yeah, he was in the Hell's Angels," said Voss. "Stopped being a member years and years ago, grew up and put that behind him -- but they won't let him forget it."

Although, it doesn't seem like Gustafson Sr. wanted to forget either, since he started Gustafson Bail Bands just a block away from the Hell's Angels clubhouse on Washington Avenue. Prosecutors claim it was nothing more than a convenient front.

The video is pretty interesting. Most bond companies have offices near down town, this one... a few blocks from the Hells Angels.

I am not a BEA - just a Bondsman trying to improve and become a better bondsman.

Post subject: Re: Negative Bail Bonds Coverage in the Media
 Post Posted: Mon 01 Aug 2011 14:22 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: < 1 year
Ain't that just wonderful. :roll: It seems like perhaps the BEA needs some good publicity.

Denver, Co
Skype greyfoxisa

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Post Posted: Sun 07 Aug 2011 10:07 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Greyfox wrote:
It seems like perhaps the BEA needs some good publicity.

The articles don't pertain to actual BEA's. The Beat Down Posse is a street gang allegedly run by the owner of the bond company. They posed as BEA's to steal guns and drugs from houses where they knew they would find those items.

As for the "BEA needing some good publicity", the best publicity is usually no publicity in this field.

Post Posted: Sun 07 Aug 2011 10:50 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: < 1 year
Well with the name what else would one expect?

Denver, Co
Skype greyfoxisa

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Post Posted: Wed 10 Aug 2011 18:00 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Well, the thing is... it has nothing to do with whether they are actually BEA or not... it is how the media portrays them that is the problem... negative press, regardless of who or what... if it is aimed at the bonding community... whether real or not, hurts. People watch the evening news and whatever is there is what they believe... and negative press sells much easier than positive. Unfortunately... there are a lot of these types around and it will continue to garner the negative press... about all we can do is try very hard to portray our business in a positive light and in many cases, police our own.

Unregulated states provide fodder for the negative press. When there are no rules... well, you can fill in the blanks.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Thu 11 Aug 2011 12:38 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Regulations tend not to deter criminals. These were gangbangers posing as BEA's. Just like criminals impersonate cops all the time, fake and stolen badges and what not, and impersonating a police officer is illegal. Scamming criminals impersonate the IRS, this is also illegal... so and so forth. This issue in Minnesota is not so much about regulations or not, regulations would not have prevented this. This is a street gang, not a Recovery Agency or anything close.

Post Posted: Thu 11 Aug 2011 20:07 
in memoriam

marc_spector... I would tend to agree that criminals obviously do not pay a lot of attention to the rules... and in this instance that is certainly the case but I would also like to say that wannabee BEA people that operate in "unregulated" states would tend to be more prevalent in those unregulated states than in states that have agencies that oversee BEA and BB... as an example I would simply point to Virginia vs. California... Virginia having DCJS and the BOI to oversee and regulate both bondsmen and BEA people... while California with its resent removal of the 1299 controls would certainly be more inclined to open things up for the 'cowboys and aliens'... if you will.

I cannot imagine what the legitimate and lawful BEA folks in California will have to put up with in the near future with the influx of unregulated, untrained and generally just plain stupid BEA wannabees... as much as I dislike the 'powers that be' that oversee my industry in Virginia... I am frankly happy that this business is regulated to the degree it is.................. it does hold the numbers of the 'cowboys' down somewhat.

I would venture to say that there are probably a lot of wannabees in the BEA industry that operate in unregulated states but would not want to venture into regulated... and many of those may or may not be convicted criminals... they just want to be involved in what they perceive as an exciting business...

Actually, as we all know... 'Dog' himself is a convicted felon and as such is forced to operate in unregulated states... he would go to jail should he try and make a recovery in Virginia or any of the other "controlled" state... so my point is simply that the media controls the good and bad and what they choose to print and the spin that is put on the stories themselves... at least in this instance they identified the group as not being legitimate BEA... it is unfortunate that they still described them as "bounty hunters" thus placing the stigma on us all... good and bad alike.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Thu 11 Aug 2011 21:49 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Aliens in CA, hell we are all aliens out here!

Actually, bail is so slow for most of us, that we don't have any skips to farm out to recovery people.

Now some of the large bail companies are writing really crappy bonds. They have in house help. We also hope that they will be out of business in a year or so after all those summary judgments come due!

As for me, I am living off my sugar Momma!

Eat your hearts out guys. :P

BTW, drove almost 800 round trip miles on Wednesday for a board meeting. Got home about 9PM got in bed at 10, got back up at 10:15 to go post a $40k bond on a regular client.

Post Posted: Fri 12 Aug 2011 06:06 
in memoriam

tsuggs wrote:
Got home about 9PM got in bed at 10, got back up at 10:15 to go post a $40k bond on a regular client.

Ghee Tony, you got up at 10:15 to make $4,000... what's the matter bro... things getting tight for ya...?? 8) 8) :roll: :roll:

Ida just referred that little bond to ................ the "Posse patrol"........... 8)

You shuda just rolled ova and gone back to sleep.... ur gettin' soft Tony... :roll:

Actually, as I think about it............... if you were in bed with who I think you were... Ida mighta stayed home for at least another 30 minutes... or in your case... 15 woulda been enough............... 8) 8) in my case.... 5.

Post Posted: Tue 16 Aug 2011 15:52 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

speezack wrote:
Well, the thing is... it has nothing to do with whether they are actually BEA or not... it is how the media portrays them that is the problem... negative press, regardless of who or what... if it is aimed at the bonding community... whether real or not, hurts. People watch the evening news and whatever is there is what they believe... and negative press sells much easier than positive. Unfortunately... there are a lot of these types around and it will continue to garner the negative press... about all we can do is try very hard to portray our business in a positive light and in many cases, police our own.

For years, I wondered why their office was no where near any of the jails. After the recent articles it made sense.

Quote:
Unregulated states provide fodder for the negative press. When there are no rules... well, you can fill in the blanks.

Yeah, welcome to Minnesota, they over regulate in some areas and neglect in others.

speezack wrote:
... and in this instance that is certainly the case but I would also like to say that wannabee BEA people that operate in "unregulated" states would tend to be more prevalent in those unregulated states than in states that have agencies that oversee BEA and BB...

As a side note: the police in this area are real helpful to bond companies. When ever we are just going to even knock on a reference's door, we call the police non 911 line. I've had 911 staff run the FTA's name against calls in that area. One 911 operator gave me a lead to a house on the same street. It didn't pan out, but it was a nice gesture.

Quote:
... while California with its resent removal of the 1299 controls would certainly be more inclined to open things up for the 'cowboys and aliens'... if you will.

I thought Cali was a non regulated state all along? I've heard many stories from out there.

Quote:
I would venture to say that there are probably a lot of wannabees in the BEA industry that operate in unregulated states but would not want to venture into regulated... and many of those may or may not be convicted criminals... they just want to be involved in what they perceive as an exciting business...

Look at the Show Mall Cops of America - the Sarah Palin visit episode. There is a wanna be BEA that they kicked out of there. Sad to say, I know the kid and he has been using that line to pick up girls for a few years now. He tells everyone that he is a federal warrant officer.

Quote:
Actually, as we all know... 'Dog' himself is a convicted felon and as such is forced to operate in unregulated states...

I know about the felon part, but I thought that in some states former felons could do this work?

Quote:
... it is unfortunate that they still described them as "bounty hunters" thus placing the stigma on us all... good and bad alike.

To be honest.. I don't like the term "Bounty Hunter". I think of Josh Randall and Jonah Hex.

Years ago a guy wanted me to work with him as a bounty hunter, not a BEA. He wanted to get wanted posters at the post office and hunt people down. I ran from him as quickly as possible.

I am not a BEA - just a Bondsman trying to improve and become a better bondsman.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage