Tax questions • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Tax questions
 Post Posted: Wed 20 Jul 2011 07:04 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
I know I should just go ask a tax guy, but I think he might get me confused with law enforcement laws on what they can write off. My question is, as a security guard ( soon armed) can I write off a vest and/or gun since ill need it for work. be it security and/or Bail recovery?

Future Recovery agent.

"We are a nation of laws, not of men." - John Adams

Life is full of lessons and one I know understand. While curiosity and the thirst of knowledge is a great thing; It can become a social burden at times. Not everyone can understand "why".. I try my best to stay patient with those who don't understand and will reject me.

Post subject: Re: Tax questions
 Post Posted: Wed 20 Jul 2011 09:06 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
That would be considered equipment and necessary to the job . . . sure wish Kathy were here to answer that for you

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Wed 20 Jul 2011 09:31 

My girlfriend is a government tax auditor, I'll run it by her.

Post Posted: Wed 20 Jul 2011 09:33 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1
I am not a tax attorney or a CPA (and I don't play either on TV)

I too wish Kathy were here to answer this question and just the hear her voice again...

Anyway, to provide a little assistance. You can write off any item that you use or are required to have in order to perform your job. This includes education (taking classes), Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses, required equipment and potentially other additional business expenses.

You can actually find a great deal of FREE information available on the IRS website.
http://www.irs.gov/

I have an acquaintance (Tax Professional) that I am going to contact to see if they can provide some additional info.

US Bail Bond Directory
Private Investigator Database

Please post questions in the "Comments or Suggestions" Forum
PM is only for private requests or comments

Post Posted: Wed 20 Jul 2011 09:39 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
and just the hear her voice again...

Phill is correct . . . anything that is required to do your job is writable (off) as is the mileage if you do not choose repairs and fuel . . .
so keep those receipts for those bullets ;)

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Wed 20 Jul 2011 10:07 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

thank you everyone. The security Company I work for is looking for armed guards. Taking advantage of this for many reasons. Handcuff and firearm training. I can tell you all day long I know how to use and respect weapons, AZ laws on arrest, and how to handcuff someone ( i know some basic and then some more tactical types and styles) But lets face it me saying i know isn't a card or paper saying I know. I also think it would ease a bond agent's mind in hiring me for a jumper.

okay.. so thank you all again and stay safe everyone.

Future Recovery agent.

Life is full of lessons and one I know understand. While curiosity and the thirst of knowledge is a great thing; It can become a social burden at times. Not everyone can understand "why".. I try my best to stay patient with those who don't understand and will reject me.

Post Posted: Wed 20 Jul 2011 12:58 

She's saying basically the same thing, you can deduct stuff like that under either the fact that your employer requires it but doesn't provide it (unreimbursed work expense) or for yourself as an independent contractor doing bail recovery. However, either scenario requires you to itemize on your taxes.....if you don't itemize you can't claim it either way.

Hope this helps!

Post Posted: Wed 20 Jul 2011 14:13 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

thanks everyone.

Future Recovery agent.

Post Posted: Wed 20 Jul 2011 18:42 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
I had a very large 5th. wheel camper that I took on skip searches.... I had defendants that had been seen in Florida.... Colorado.... California.... gheeeee........... all over New England... Canada.... sometimes they eluded me but often I got em.... and you know what.............. Tax Deductible... all with proof, paperwork, expense reports to verify every move.... got to see a lot of the country.... and found a few of my skips in the process...

If you document it and it applies... it is deductible and legal... keep every receipt with good info.....

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion