Good Article • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Good Article
 Post Posted: Sun 17 Jul 2011 08:38 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1208
Experience: More than 10 years
http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/PE_ ... 4947f.html

Newsletters Inland: Laws murky regarding bounty hunters' limits

Download story podcast

10:00 PM PDT on Saturday, July 16, 2011

By SARAH BURGE
The Press-Enterprise

Tony Chiz carries a gun, a Taser, handcuffs and a badge. And he wears a bullet-proof vest. But he's no cop.

The badge says, "Fugitive Recovery Agent" -- better known as a bounty hunter. His job is tracking down bail jumpers.

In the business since the mid-'90s, Chiz and other experienced bounty hunters say most fugitives are captured without a fight. But across the country, bounty hunters have arrested the wrong people and injured or killed bystanders.

Stan Lim / The Press-Enterprise
Tony Chiz Jr. has been a bounty hunter since the mid-1990s. He and others in his field say most fugitives are captured without a fight. Recently in Wildomar, the mayor's 46-year-old daughter, Jamie Scranton, was Tased and pepper-sprayed outside her home during a fight with a bail bondsman involving several family members, Riverside County sheriff's officials said. The bondsman was taking a friend of Scranton's 27-year-old son back to jail. The incident raised questions about what bail bondsmen and their bounty hunters can and can't do.

When their colleagues run amok, some bounty hunters and bondsmen cite factors such as a lack of public or police understanding about their powers of arrest, as well as a "cowboy" mentality or lack of education on the part of the fugitive recovery agent.

According to a 2007 California Research Bureau report on bounty hunters, the state has never required licensing. A law ordering minimum training and other requirements for bounty hunters passed in 1999. They had to be 18, for instance, have no felony record and complete an eight-hour power of arrest course. They also had to notify police before making an arrest. But the law expired in 2010.

Now, Chiz said, anyone can be a bounty hunter.

"If you've got the nerve to go do the job, you can go do it," said the former teacher and Hesperia resident.

On a national level, bail bondsmen and their bounty hunters have sweeping powers to make arrests under an 1872 U.S. Supreme Court ruling, the state report says. Because they are enforcing a contract, courts have ruled that they are not bound by the same constitutional constraints as police. For instance, bounty hunters don't need a warrant to enter private property.

In a 1996 paper in the Houston Law Review arguing for more limits on bounty hunters, lawyer Jonathan Drimmer wrote that courts view those on bail as having the limited rights of prisoners and have given bounty hunters the power to arrest them any time or place, to break into fugitives' homes and to use force as needed to capture them.

bondsmen and the law

Bail bondsmen say they play an important role in the justice system, saving local government from the cost of housing defendants in already crowded jails while they await trial.

Jerry Gutierrez, chief deputy of corrections for the Riverside County Sheriff's Department, said that bail bondsmen provide an affordable way for a defendant to be released.

"It does help out because that's one less person in the jail," Gutierrez said. "Any release helps. We are overcrowded."

Those who cannot afford to pay their full bail amount often hire a bail bond agency that guarantees they will appear in court. The usual fee is 10 percent of the bail amount set by the court. Most defendants appear as ordered, bondsmen say. In California, if a defendant doesn't show, the bondsman is on the hook for the full bail amount after 180 days.

Tony Suggs, a bondsman and director at large for the California Bail Agents Association, said most bondsmen hire bounty hunters to track down their wayward clients, or "skips."

Suggs and Chiz both say efforts to regulate the fugitive recovery industry are a good idea.

When Chiz took up the trade in 1994, he said bounty hunters in California were a motley crew.

"There were bikers, people fresh out of jail, crazy guys that I would not even want to sit in the same living room with," he said.

Some bail bondsmen and bounty hunters criticize what they regard as questionable tactics in the bounty hunting profession.

Suggs said some bounty hunters feel they can cross the line and get away with it because those on the receiving end don't complain.

"We've got a bad enough image as it is. We don't want you to act like Dog on the TV show. We don't want to hire that person," Suggs said, referring to Duane "Dog" Chapman, the star of the reality TV show "Dog the Bounty Hunter." Chapman is known for his flowing blond mullet and rogue bounty-hunting tactics.

local troubles

In the past year, other Inland bail bondsmen or bounty hunters have gotten into scrapes.

Because a law on bounty hunters expired, Tony Chiz Jr. says anyone can try it. "If you've got the nerve to go do the job, you can go do it," he said. In April, a bounty hunter in a Canyon Lake shopping center parking lot shot himself in the leg. Deputies said it was an accident and the man was not arrested.

Last August, a Riverside bondsman was accused of kidnapping a client at gunpoint when the man failed to pay his $2,000 fee, court records say. The man said he was held captive until he and his girlfriend handed over cash, methamphetamine, marijuana and the title to a car. The bondsman, Damion Perkins, 37, of Bail Bonds United, was arrested in October and charged with kidnapping and assault, court records show. He has pleaded not guilty.

In the Wildomar incident, Fausto Atilano, owner of Fausto's Bail Bonds in French Valley, barged onto the property March 28 with Bryan Stark, a bail recovery agent, sheriff's officials said. Scranton said she, her husband and son were living at the house with her grandmother. The bondsmen were looking for a woman her son had befriended, who, according to court records, was out of jail on $5,000 bond for a theft charge and had not skipped court. But Atilano said she broke the terms of her bail bond agreement and was planning to flee to Texas.

Mayor Marsha Swanson, who lives nearby and witnessed part of the melee, said the men crossed the line. Atilano and Stark disagreed, saying the defendant they sought was in the house. Atilano said several family members attacked and injured him after he had handcuffed his client. He said he used his Taser and pepper-spray in self-defense.

Riverside County sheriff's officials accused Atilano and Stark of battery and trespassing, but more than three months later, prosecutors have not filed charges.

Atilano, a veteran bail bondsman who often does his own fugitive recovery, said the situation in Wildomar was an anomaly.

"For the past 15 years, this has never happened to me," he said. "Never, ever have I been detained or questioned for what I do."

"We're not cowboys," he said. "We don't just go and kick people's door down."

Scranton, the mayor's daughter, said she finds it hard to believe Atilano's behavior was lawful.

"I definitely know I had the right not to be Tased or Maced when I was not threatening anyone," she said. "They think they can do whatever they want. So far, it looks like they can."

Rules of the hunt

Zeke Unger, a Van Nuys-based bounty hunter who has served as an expert witness in court, said some bounty hunters are ill-trained "knuckle draggers" who abuse their power or create situations where innocent people might get hurt.

The law gives bounty hunters the power to arrest, he said, "but it does not give us the right to violate people's civil rights."

Unger said ethical bounty hunters follow a protocol, especially when they track a defendant to someone else's home, where the resident might not know the defendant is on bail. If bounty hunters don't want to wait for the defendant to come out, they should knock on the door and explain why they're there. If the resident won't cooperate, bounty hunters should call the police for assistance, he said.

"If you go into a stranger's house and your bail skip is not in there, you've got big problems," he said.

When other people's homes come into play, said Laurie Levenson, a professor at Loyola Law School Los Angeles, "It is sort of a muddy area of the law."

Bounty hunters can seize people, she said, but there are limits.

"They don't have carte-blanche to do what they want," Levenson said. "It's not the Wild West."

A head count of bounty hunters and statistics on the arrests they make are hard to come by.

Bob Burton, of the Santa Barbara-based U.S. Coalition of Bail Recovery Agents, estimates that, bounty hunters make upwards of 30,000 arrests a year nationwide.

Burton said bounty hunting is, by definition, a "maverick industry," made up of adrenaline junkies drawn to the thrill of the hunt.

Even so, Burton said, bounty hunters make few false arrests and studies have shown they are very effective -- the vast majority of fugitives pursued by bounty hunters are recaptured.

"If we were really messing up," he said, "the bonding industry would have been bankrupt from lawsuits."

Reach Sarah Burge at 951-375-3736 or sburge@PE.com
Comment on this story

Ph. (201) 538 - 2947
Fax (201) 342 - 5405

Post subject: Re: Good Article
 Post Posted: Sun 17 Jul 2011 09:25 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Nice article and good read..

Thanks.

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Sun 17 Jul 2011 10:02 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2792
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Yes it is a very good article, I must commend both Tony's on their responses to the interview along with Mr. Burton, Just my opinion

CELL 724-664-5669
fax# 724-545-1459
IN THE HORIZON OR AROUND THE CORNER WE ARE THE TRAILS-END

Post Posted: Sun 17 Jul 2011 11:31 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2797
Experience: 3 - 5 years
This is definitely a very good article. One of the few that does depict professional and unprofessional agents in both bail and bail recovery. It was even more worth reading knowing that the interviews were discussed with actual professionals. It was a good way to get the information out that this industry will not "TOLERATE" dog-wannabes.

For those new to this forum, as well as new to the industry...

Please take heed into this article. Also, remember that this article is just based on information in California. This is NOT a full-time job for the vast majority of recovery agents, nor will you find work it the agents feel that you are "trigger happy", "thrill seekers", or cowboys that want to be like Duane Chapman and his little cohorts.

We, as professionals, understand the liability that effects not only us, but our clients, the surety, the indemnitors, defendants, public citizens, AND our reputations.

If you cannot respect that last statement, nor cannot adhere to it, you will not make it in this industry.

Every professional has different tactics, clothing apparel, and accessories that best suit them for each recovery and their AO. Respect those in those areas. Don't spit in their backyards by making a fool of yourself. The more professional we are to the people around us and the people we are searching for, the more positive influence we leave with them and the media.

For example, I have several defendants that I have picked up on numerous occasions, often at the exact same place I found them before. My professionalism and treating them as human beings has served me well.

My biggest thing... I look at the file, look at their charges and criminal history. I then determine the risk factor. Do I let that get to me? NO! I don't go after these people for what they were charged for (or what they did), I am contracted to go after them for what they DID NOT do..... go to court/violated conditions of bond.

I don't give them the coming to Jesus talk during the transport to jail... It never made sense to me. If they were that religious, they wouldn't be in that position. I don't refer them as a woman's accessory (BRAH') <--little humor

I have my ways that get the job done. It's NEVER done the same way twice. Wish sometimes it could be, but it never happens. I am always learning new tactics, verbal judo, non-lethal defensive actions, and much more on each case as well as reading online through good and bad media.

I am not an expect in recovery, nor do I "think" any one has been, is, or ever will be. We can be really good at what we do, but never will any of us be experts in the whole industry. If we were, then there would be no need for the US Marshals. <--little more humor.

With associations out there, such as N.A.B.B.I. coming together, we will all be able to learn a lot more from each other, and better this industry. If the association is done correctly, it could very well tip the iceberg in the industry. Bailbondsmen won't work with those not members of N.A.B.B.I., as well as the same with recovery agents. It's better to know that you are hiring/contracting professionals in those areas by knowing their education and experience on top of the wealth of knowledge and training that will be made available to members of N.A.B.B.I. Political, Judicial, and Press will then recognize the association as a legitimate influence and we will slowly weed out those that give it a bad name.

Now, that obviously won't happen over night, or even in a few years. However, it does place the foundation for our industry in the future.

307-763-3134

"As Professional Bail Enforcement Agents, we secure the Risk of the Surety by lawfully protecting the interest of not only the safety and security of our Clients and their Surety Agencies, but their Indemnitors and Defendants as well."

Post Posted: Sun 17 Jul 2011 16:07 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Tony, can I continue to hang out with you... it should improve my reputation.... and I also want to become famous without having to be on TV....

Nice article and you are the right man to head up this NABBI deal.... see, we all told you so....

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 17 Jul 2011 17:39 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Very NICE . . . Thank You Yak ! for posting this ! Kudos to Tony . . . and Zeke !
Bill, Tony may not let us hang out with him now :cry: . . . Our boobs may not be big enough :mrgreen:

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Sun 17 Jul 2011 17:55 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
I will not comment on that ..... as they say.......... private joke............. 8) 8)

Only to say....................... speak for yourself................... :mrgreen: :oops:

Now were gonna spend the next week trying to explain something that cannot be discussed........ which makes it even more................ uh..................... whatever.............. :shock: 8) :oops:

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 17 Jul 2011 18:58 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Boobs??????

Post Posted: Sun 17 Jul 2011 19:02 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Yes . . . have you not noticed all the boobs that show up around the big guys ? I mean look at dog ahahaha and I just saw a show (some bounty hunter chick show) the other nite while I was at my daughters and O M G the boobs on those gals :shock: . . . now of course, I think that, I have better tats ;)

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Sun 17 Jul 2011 19:08 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Yes, I agree yours are better than theirs,

Wait I mean I'm sure yours are better than theirs, because I have never seen yours.

I mean not in person just in photos.

But not naked photos.

Aw shucks I need to shut up now.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage