Licensing Verification • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: Licensing Verification
 Post Posted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 19:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
From what I read of the original Wildman Bill, ( PC 1299 ) it would have had BSIS issue a guard card with the expose firearm permit for carrying a weapon as a CA BFRP.

Initially the sheriffs were for that. Then some politician did not want another group of people "running around" with guns. So they killed the weapons part but, like Randy stated kept the class portion in.

So, unless someone actually applies for a guard card, there is not criminal background check performed. Therefore no easily verifiable way to check on a 1299 compliant CA BFRP.

In the revised version of the PC 1299, AB379, we suggested dropping the guard course. That will save time and money for the potential BFRP.

In my opinion, what we will need to happen is for "someone" :wink: outside the 2 associations to write a decent law such as Randy says like Nevada, and get a Sacramento legislator to sponsor and carry the bill.

Then the fight would be to prove why this new law is better for the safety of the public than the proposed watered down PC1299 reborn.

Post Posted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 20:03 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
So, If a party fulfills all of the other requirements of the 1299 there is NO? criminal background check ?!
I really do not see the purpose of a person having a "Guard Card" if they are not going to perform that duty . . . .
Cannot get a Bail Lic (here) or any other Professional LIC if one even has a Class A Misdemeanor that has not been sealed and expunged (criminal check State and Federal always run).
Of course we do not have the POST type certifications here (yet, working on that) as that would cause the BBAs to fall into LE category and the COMPANIES are not wanting to take on that "liability" . . . We are working on things . . . Remember . . . things move jus a lil slower here in the South

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Fri 24 Jun 2011 10:52 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

We do go through a background check to get a bail license. But for recovery agents, there is no requirement to get a bail agent license.

I have heard that there are CA licensed bail agents that have felony backgrounds. It is not an automatic disqualifier to have a felony in CA.

The funny thing is, as bail agents we can't associate with felons, except in the course of business. Yet, a felon can get a bail license.

That only makes sense in CA, the land of the looney politicians.

Post Posted: Fri 24 Jun 2011 12:02 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
Its all backasswards here!!!

So Tony.. how do you write a bill??? :wink:

Post Posted: Fri 24 Jun 2011 12:35 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

sounds like an awful lot of "politics" . . .

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

Post Posted: Fri 24 Jun 2011 12:41 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
Awful Politics is right Luvonda!! LOL!

Post Posted: Fri 24 Jun 2011 14:22 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Well,

If I were to write a bill, I would find out what those opposed to clear rules and regs are against and put those things in it, to level the playing field for everyone, give recovery agents clear authority to operate in CA and provide for a standard verifiable id card or license.

The "license" would also include a firearm permit that would allow open and concealed carry, taser, OC and batons also.

No felon allowed. At least 21 y/o. Resident of CA for at least 2 years prior to getting licensed.

Then I would find a law and order type legislator and get them to introduce it with the backing on law enforcement.

That would be how I would do it, if I was doing anything like that. :wink:

Post Posted: Fri 24 Jun 2011 15:49 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Well Tony, If I lived in Cali I would get out there and stump for that . . .
Madi as for verifying Licenses here you can go to the Arkansas Professional Bail Bond Licensing Board site and simply put in a persons name and / or if you have been provided a Lic # you can use that.

It is ALWAYS good to verify that a person is Licensed or employed (in no Lic required) as to what they are stating they are. Like I said previously . . . IF it is a State where there are no Licensing or monitoring of same required do a search on that person . . . better safe than sorry and paying out the wazoo or being the end of the Industry as a whole.

Post Posted: Fri 24 Jun 2011 23:50 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Madi,

it seems like many States that allow the work we do fail to show "Proof" of the qualifications that one would require to be considered for employment within our industry ..

Here in FL.. a person must have a Surety ID # issued by the State..

Here is our FLORIDA LINK.. = http://www.myfloridacfo.com/Data/AAR_ALIS1/index.htm

California should come up with something similar IMO..

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Sat 25 Jun 2011 05:25 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2797
Experience: 3 - 5 years
This has definitely been an issue in the Northern States (WY, MT, ID, etc). Without licensing requirements, there has been free reign for anyone who wants to just up and get into the business without recourse. Even more so, it tends to tear any positive relationship between the professionals and LEO/judicial officers.

Here is one default. I have never been licensed in any state to do recovery work. However, it has never prevented me from getting training, reading and following up with the laws in each jurisdiction I am in/going to, and finding additional legitamite training where feasable. I do security part time in MT at a Coal Mine (MT requires Security Guard Licensing). Interestingly enough, the MPSLB Montana Private Security Licensing Board) is more strict and does a deaper background check than LVMPD Guard Licensing (LV, NV) and WDOL (Washington Dept of Licensing). I went through questions with MT regarding my name popping up in other states as to what the nature of my Bail Enforcement pertained to... And these were just calls to advise of presence, Knock n Talks, or surveillance. I have held Scurity Guard License that are both still "valid" in NV and MT.

I would propose that N.A.B.B.I. require some additionalized training to help cover the states where little to no licensing is required to boast the professionalism and networking. Lennie Guilmettie was an instructor for the NLETA (Ntl Law Enforcement Training Academy) prior to his passing, and I believe his partner "GUY" (nickname) for Absolute Bail Bonds in St. Paul Minnesota still does the training. The training I was looking into with them was Prisoner Transport (UCEA Act), Tazer, Inc Certs, CCW (Non-Resident, Utah), etc. I would have to get a hold of him to find out if he is still doing it.

I take great pride in my professionalism, and my ability to do my job (while continuously learning more each case). My "licensing abilities", though hindered through state legislation without regulation, has hurt my pocket book when it comes to picking up more cases, but my current clients support me and back me up. Though it may sound nice at times to be in a non-regulated state, I find myself more and more pushing for regulation and restrictions. The last thing I want is another state to ban the industry because of Johnny-Laws, and "gun"-happy ex-felons....let alone untrained agents (or improperly trained agents)

307-763-3134

"As Professional Bail Enforcement Agents, we secure the Risk of the Surety by lawfully protecting the interest of not only the safety and security of our Clients and their Surety Agencies, but their Indemnitors and Defendants as well."

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion