Licensing Verification • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Licensing Verification
 Post Posted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 11:02 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
I am noticing that there are many "agents" currently advertising and claiming that they are compliant with "former PC 1299" (for CA), or claim to have "all licenses required" to work in thier given state, etc. when they do not.

In CA its somewhat easy to verify this statement as far as the gaurd card goes, as its on BSIS's website. Going through the list of people making some of these statements, there is no record of them having this card. :shock:

I know this is one element of the new law that may be revised, which I initially agreed with, but thinking about it, it is the ONLY verifiable piece of training that we currently have through any state agency that requires any kind of background to obtain it. (livescan)

Im just wondering how many people actually verify training and licenses before hiring someone to make an arrest on their behalf. It is a great risk to take the word of someone making these claims without that verification, and I know it happens alot. Even though we currently have NO LAWS in CA, I think it would be a best practice to maintain the previous minimum required while we are in limbo and help to maintain our own industry.

As part of the conference we discussed "Training" and I think we need to make "Awareness" a big element in our roll out as well. Awareness for bail agents hiring recovery agents, what they should look for, licenses to check everytime they hire someone to act on their behalf and how to verify them. I think this is a big part of maintaining professionalism in our industry and raising the bar. :!:

Going back to my corner now.. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Licensing Verification
 Post Posted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 11:18 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 567
Experience: More than 10 years
Madi,

Just one point of correction....the former PC 1299 did NOT require that individuals acquire a "Guard Card" only that they had completed the training on Powers of Arrest and carried that certificate of completion (along with the certificate of completions for PC 832 and the Pre-bail licensing classes) with them whenever they were involved in a recovery.

I am in total agreement that the "Guard Card" is one way to show proof that people have completed part of the required training and strongly support the idea of an actual license here in California!

Post Posted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 12:17 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2351
If you think that is bad you should go on face book and join some of the bail groups OMG its that bad. Guys claiming they have all this experience then go onto stating they made the capture with the suspect bleeding ruffed up etc. Bail bond companies letting guys with no experience at all take cases its scary Im just waiting till someone gets seriously hurt or there is a major lawsuit. So which is worse guys doing this job with no training or bond compaines not verifing who they are contracting with? I say both but in the end both sides will regret it in the end.

Omaha, Nebraska.

Post Posted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 12:34 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

You are right Randell, I did write that wrong, thank you for the correction. In my head, if you complete the training you should have the card to prove it! Its something "I" require as proof of training and to know Im not working with a felon or someone that does not belong doing this. (speaking from experience)

Post Posted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 15:52 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Well, that is the problem in CA. I have been and still am fightiing to get both associations to back a licensing plan for recovery.

Unfortunately, there are "bigger" fish than me opposing any licensing or standard recovery agent training requirements. And they have the money and political connections to kill any leg with those provisions in it.

All you have to do is think of the 4 largest statewide bail bond companies and you will know of whom I am referring. Then throw in the 2 most well known "bounty hunters" one whom is not even a CA resident and you know who else that will fight such leg.

Until then, it is up to the bail agency to "screen" the recovery agents they hire. Some will, others wont.

Post Posted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 17:32 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 567
The other side of that is that no state agency wants to be responsible for recovery people. BSIS thinks that DOI should be responsible since the job is bail related. DOI thinks BSIS should be responsible since the job involves taking someone into custody.

Correct me if I am wrong, Tony, but wasn't the original intent of the BSIS training to obtain a "Guard Card" to prove that state and federal background checks had been completed? But BSIS didn't want to be responsible for bounty hunters so the training requirement was kept but the "Guard Card" requirement was dropped.

I would love to see California emulate Nevada's laws; be 21, high school diploma, state and federal background checks, take a 40 hour state approved course, submit the results of a psychological exam, drug testing and pass a written exam!

But, as Tony said, money and political connections still (unfortunately) determine how the laws of this state are written.

Post Posted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 18:39 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I hear ya Tony....

Post Posted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 18:47 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3671
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Ouch! Who wizzed in Madi's cornflakes?? LOL. (Rechecking certs now....PC832? Check. Bailspeak Pre-License certificate? Check. GUARD CARD?? CHECK! LOL)

Ca. Bail Agent Lic#1845795
Owner/Operator, Thomas Duprey Bail Bonds
Owner/Operator, Orange County Bounty
(714) 727-4689

Post Posted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 19:30 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Location: East Kern Bail Bonds-Ridgecrest, CA Kern County (760) 375-5706
Experience: < 3 years
Totally agree with all said. But I think any type of powers of arrest should have some sort of bail related training for FRA. I took the Guard class and the PC 832 course, but not too much of it was actually bail/FRA related, other than handcuffing techniques. I got my guard card and weapons permit, paid a "grip o'dough" to obtain them only to be taught that the purpose of a security guard is to observe and report, be the best witness for your employer. I took the PC 832 course and learned a lot about how to avoid liabilty as an LEO, interviewing and what constitutes a crime. I think we skimmed over the 8th "commandment"/amendment for a second or two, and I really perked up for that as that's why I was there. But mostly it was all about probably cause, reasonable suspicion, evidence and the 4th "commandment"/amendment. Informative yes, if I was gonna play cops and robbers. But the game is Hide and Seek, cowboys and indians, chess not checkers and monopoly with a pinch of chutes and ladders for flare. No? I just think there should be some type of related training pertinent to the job. Maybe I'm not saying that right. Anyways, I'm headed to my Security Guard job now. I've got to make all of this training pay for itself somehow.

And Tony--BTW there are no bigger fish or more politically connected folks in this than you! You are the man!

(760) 375-5830 fax
"The world has changed! The strong no longer survive, but the smart. Victory goes to the one that combines his brains with his heart."

Post Posted: Thu 23 Jun 2011 19:41 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Tho Madis post speaks only to California it is WISE to make it a habit to verify anyone that you have do work for you or with you.
If they are in a State that has NO licensing requirements then check them with someone that may know of and have worked with them in the past.
Word of mouth in this biz is the BIGGEST advertisement (and free, btw) one can have . . . On the other hand it will also be ones' worst nightmare and endall should they be less than savory.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion