Unlicensed agent shoots defendant. Not good! • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: Unlicensed agent shoots defendant. Not good!
 Post Posted: Thu 21 Apr 2011 11:30 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
Quote:
but everyone who accompanies you should be licensed.

Should ? or Must ?

We also use "Authorization to Arrest" forms here as well when using someone outside of the Company. We are what are called self sureties here in AR.
There are no Surety Companies here in Arkansas and never will be.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Thu 21 Apr 2011 12:04 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
LuVonda wrote:
Quote:
but everyone who accompanies you should be licensed.

Should ? or Must ?

We also use "Authorization to Arrest" forms here as well when using someone outside of the Company. We are what are called self sureties here in AR.
There are no Surety Companies here in Arkansas and never will be.

Well to do it lawfully.. MUST. I do know people that have gotten away with it but its a pretty big risk. Anytime I work with an unknown person I check their name to be sure their license is good. I know not everyone is a liar but I don't wanna be in that mess if something goes wrong.

This fella was not licensed and that's why he is also being charged with unlawful recovery. To even claim that you are an agent and not be is a misdemenour.

State Approved Courses for POST and DIFP
Located in Central/Southwest Missouri/St. Louis/Kansas City

Post Posted: Thu 21 Apr 2011 13:07 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Went over this with Andy. This will be one to keep an eye on.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

Post Posted: Thu 21 Apr 2011 18:07 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
There are so many people who want into this industry as a get rich quick scheme. They don't get properly educated, will not pay to take courses that would prevent this sort of thing. Instead, they want to follow Bubba and Earl blindly into life changing situations that they are not properly trained to deal with. Corrections in public or private fall on deaf ears, because you are not telling them what they want to hear.

One of these incidents will bring about the end of our industry.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Fri 22 Apr 2011 03:49 

There are several problems with this.

For one, neither Batman or Ferguson show valid MO licenses either. The only licensed agent in the case is Jackie Rutter. She is listed as being the agent of a rather large General agent out of Mexico MO. In this situation, not only are the unlicensed subject to crimininal charges, but Rutter is subject to disiciplinary action with MO DIFP, the licensing section of the Department of Insurance, including fines, suspensions and loss of license, for having the unlicensed agents with her. Further, the General agent, who is always ultimately responsible, is also subject to severe problems with DIFP.

The law clearly states that anyone involved in the apprehension, or attempt, be a licensed bondsman or a licensed recovery agent. And, wear identification with your name, information, license information and general agents name, clipped to your shirt or otherwise shown in plain view.

Also, every city and county currently has their own rules, until we can get this bill passed. Currently in Springfield, and it is a pain in the ass, you have to physically take your paperwork to the police department and wait, sometimes forever, for the seargent on duty to give you the ok to go to a specific address or address's. So, even though it has happened to all of us, I doubt the convenience store was on the list of places approved. BTW, most places in MO, you call in the jurisdiction and tell them your in the area and who your after and they say go get em and call if you need any help. So, not all places are as big of a pain.

Anyway, there are several people in trouble on this one.

Post Posted: Wed 20 Jun 2012 09:46 

Probably too late to do any good. No, if you dont have a license in MO, you cannon assist in apprehension at all. Not even get out of the car. I set on the committee to help write the laws and I am positive of this. I also had a discussion with Les Hogue, investigator over bail bonds for MDOI. He agrees. No license, no participation, period. Copying to send to Karma via PM.

Post Posted: Wed 20 Jun 2012 10:03 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

It is never too late to keep everyone in line. How is the Law making stuff coming along up there ?

Post Posted: Wed 20 Jun 2012 10:16 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3671
In California, each individual must be licensed, or in the true vernacular "certified". At least that was how it was when we had any certification at all. Now, private investigation work can be done under another's license. In fact this is how one obtains the hours needed to take the state licensing exam. A well known PI firm here in LA had a team of BEAs working "under" their lead agent's PI license for recovery work, when PC1299 was in effect, and this is/was a recipe for disaster.

Ca. Bail Agent Lic#1845795
Owner/Operator, Thomas Duprey Bail Bonds
Owner/Operator, Orange County Bounty
(714) 727-4689

Post Posted: Wed 20 Jun 2012 13:58 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Not much progress getting anything passed this year. But atleast it made it to the floor.

As a side note to this; Even if the agent is licensed its a good idea to only work with those you know or at least get a few references before you jump in with them. If they cause any trouble its likely to come your way too.

State Approved Courses for POST and DIFP
Located in Central/Southwest Missouri/St. Louis/Kansas City

Post Posted: Wed 20 Jun 2012 19:31 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Virginia.... you best be licensed to participate.... bonding or recovery... I think it is the same in Carolina... at least, that is what LE told me one time in Warren county when I went there to make a pickup and had another bondsman with me... they checked both our credentials... how bout it Bill, do all participants involved in apprehensions have to be licensed?

I have taken my grandson with me on a pickup in the past (he is 27 and 6'2"...), but not any more..................

In Virginia, if you discuss fees or anything related to bonding, even on the phone, you must be licensed.... I know one bondsman that has his wife fill out the paperwork while he sits back.... then he steps forward to sign the 'power'.... I know he got called down on this at least once.... best rule of thumb IMHO.... is "be licensed and legal"... period.

If, as the writing bondsman, I send a team in to do the recovery.... I am the "buck stops here" guy.... if something goes "south".... it falls on me, no matter who did it..................... period.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage