Unlicensed agent shoots defendant. Not good! • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Unlicensed agent shoots defendant. Not good!
 Post Posted: Wed 20 Apr 2011 11:36 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-man-is-charged-for-shooting-man-at-cstore-in-springfield-20110419,0,7222493.story
There is a whole lot wrong here, and the community is certainly looking at bond and fugitive agents in a bad way right now.

State Approved Courses for POST and DIFP
Located in Central/Southwest Missouri/St. Louis/Kansas City

Post subject: Re: Unlicensed agent shoots defendant. Not good!
 Post Posted: Wed 20 Apr 2011 12:46 

He is facing 18 years in prison for all the charges against him. Plus, he has other unresolved charges unrelated to this case.

By the way, I thought it interesting that the last name of one of his partners is BATMAN.

Post Posted: Wed 20 Apr 2011 16:21 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Experience: More than 10 years
There used to be a recovery guy out of FL named Batman, it was a nock name, but all he used. He was pretty good and had a good rep to my knowledge, I am sure it is not this guy though.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Wed 20 Apr 2011 19:38 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Quote:
The probable cause statement says Crain told a detective that he was helping Rutter try to catch James. Crain said he's not a bail bond agent but wants to be one. After first denying he carried a handgun, the probable cause statement says, Crain admitted he was armed. The detective wrote that Crain doesn't have a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Well, guess what???????????? This certainly is a great way to start a new career... this should really help our image.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Wed 20 Apr 2011 20:48 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- One of the four people arrested early Monday for an assault on a man at a convenience store was charged on Tuesday. The probable cause statement against Derek Crain, 27, of Springfield also shows that the victim, John James Jr., was shot in the chest, not stabbed as police said on Monday.

Crain is charged with second-degree assault, armed criminal action, unlawful use of a weapon, and unlawful acts by a bail bondsman. A judge set his bond at $50,000. He could get a prison sentence of 18 years or more if he's convicted of all those crimes.

James was shot at a Kum & Go convenience store on North National Avenue at Norton Road about 2:35 a.m. Monday. The probable cause statement, which is the basis of the charges, shows Crain was arrested at the scene along with Lance Batman, Jackie Rutter and Clarissa Ferguson. Rutter told the first officer to arrive at the scene that she is a bail bond agent and James was "jumping bail."

Check out today's Daily Deal on HalfPriceOzarks.com

Court records show Rutter's company, GB Allison, posted a $25,000 bond for James last Wednesday. James had been in jail since last fall. He is accused of violating his probation after getting out of a prison last summer. He served time for charges of forgery, theft and other charges, and completed a substance abuse program in prison. The online records show James is due in court for a probation violation hearing on May 10 but don't show that there was a warrant for his arrest.

The probable cause statement says Crain told a detective that he was helping Rutter try to catch James. Crain said he's not a bail bond agent but wants to be one. After first denying he carried a handgun, the probable cause statement says, Crain admitted he was armed. The detective wrote that Crain doesn't have a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Crain told a detective that James was in the bathroom of the Kum & Go store. He said he, Rutter and Batman went to the restaurant to try to grab James. He said James bolted from the bathroom and Rutter used an electric stun gun on him. Crain said he had a handgun in his hand when James knocked him backwards, and the gun "accidentally" fired, hitting James.

Crain told the detective that James ran into the middle of National, where the group grabbed him. He said he asked Rutter what to do with the handgun, and she told him to give it to her or "get rid of it." Crain told the detective that he put the gun in the group's van before police arrived at the scene. Detectives found the gun later when they searched the van.

Copyright © 2011, KY3-TV

after reading the above I feel that the original poster could have chosen a more appropriate title for his / her topic.

Such as "Man shot in chest during apprehension" The guy apparently is not a BBA and did not claim to be one . . . or is the "unliscenced" meant to alude to the fact that he did not have a pernit to carry a weapon?

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Wed 20 Apr 2011 21:28 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Quote:
One of the four people arrested early Monday for an assault on a man at a convenience store was charged on Tuesday. The probable cause statement against Derek Crain, 27, of Springfield also shows that the victim, John James Jr., was shot in the chest, not stabbed as police said on Monday.

And then this statement . . . very poor reporting. How about the others that were charged . . . hmmmm . . . Crap written to sell a paper.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

Post Posted: Thu 21 Apr 2011 08:19 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

LuVonda wrote:
after reading the above I feel that the original poster could have chosen a more appropriate title for his / her topic.

Such as "Man shot in chest during apprehension" The guy apparently is not a BBA and did not claim to be one . . . or is the "unliscenced" meant to alude to the fact that he did not have a pernit to carry a weapon?

I believe the title is appropriate. It is a felony to engage in fugitive recovery without a license in this state.

Post Posted: Thu 21 Apr 2011 08:43 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

shooter64738 wrote:
LuVonda wrote:

I believe the title is appropriate. It is a felony to engage in fugitive recovery without a license in this state.

Well I can't edit my post to expand on it, so I'll re-quote it.

I could have titled it a number of ways, but I wanted the point of this person not being licensed and engaging in the act of recovery. And on top of that, he ends up shooting the fugitive.

The others so far have not been charged, but I imagine they will be charged with assault. I'm waiting to see. When I notified SPD that I was doing a revocation this week, they asked if I was working for GB Allison. Seemed odd, until I read an update on the story, and found out who GB Allison was. Word travels pretty fast, and the community doesn't see bail agents in a good light already. This sure doesn't help.

Post Posted: Thu 21 Apr 2011 09:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

As MO Law has changed a bit in the past couple of years and was being bantered about this past year, I will ask this.
Must EVERY member of a Recovery Team be "licensed" or do you have the ability to be assisting and under color of the lead agent?
I will send a PM to AndyL and get his opinion as well.

Post Posted: Thu 21 Apr 2011 11:10 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

According to my general agent and the department of insurance, every person who acts with the lead agent must be licensed.

The 'lead' agent is the agent who has or has been given authority to arrest the fugitive. So long as they have written authority to do it they may enlist any agent to work with them, so long as those agents are licensed as surety recovery or bail bond agent.

For example I had pursued a few fugitives for other generals or bond agents, and I obtained a certified copy of the bond, and for good measure had the agent who bonded that person, or his general sign the back of the certified stating that I had permission to arrest the person listed on the bond.

If it's your guy on your bond, certainly don't need permission from yourself, but everyone who accompanies you should be licensed.

Signing of the bond isn't required by law, but some years back a bail agent I knew picked up a fugitive at the request of another general, and turned him in. The agent that wrote the bond was pretty peeved about it, and did his best to get the arresting agent in trouble. The general backed up the arresting agent, but if he hadn't, the arresting agent may have gotten into some trouble over it.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage