Surveillance and transport vehicles • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Surveillance and transport vehicles
 Post Posted: Fri 01 Apr 2011 03:56 

Was curious to hear other's input on what characteristics you use for your surveillance vehicles and transport vehicles. Are they one in the same? Do you use screens? What type of vehicle do you use? What type do you wish you had? Is it legal, where you work, to have controllable brake lights? Do you use heavy duty batteries? Tell me about you tinting etc.. Thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Surveillance and transport vehicles
 Post Posted: Sun 10 Apr 2011 23:29 

Hey, I personally have a 2006 Chevrolet Impala I bought from a police auction. It has the police package so all the wiring is set up, it has the rubberized floors and vinyl back seat. I can have my computer hooked up which can be very useful. Screens are great for protecting you during transport but as more experienced people I have spoken with there generally isn't many problems while transporting but I personally like to prevent anything I can. Is this a good surveillance vehicle? Nooooooooooo! Obvious reasons... I just do surveillance with friends in their vehicles.

What is everyones opinion on using like vans/conversion vans for surveillance? They are very comfortable to work in but many BEAs say that they are to obvious.

Post Posted: Mon 11 Apr 2011 05:41 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Experience: More than 10 years
surveillance vehicles have to match the surroundings of where you intend to conduct your operation and should be like everyone else's. That could mean a Volvo or a mini van.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Mon 11 Apr 2011 06:41 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Red_dobe, please set up a signature line so we know who you are and please read the introduction section to get info as to how and what to post in your sig line... and also, much of what you ask is already here and can be found using the "search" link. Some of the senior members will be rather reluctant to answer too many of your questions until you set up the sig line and tell us a bit about yourself.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Mon 11 Apr 2011 07:25 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Mountain bikes and roller skates, if thats what it takes.

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Mon 11 Apr 2011 10:50 

SnoWolf wrote:
Mountain bikes and roller skates, if thats what it takes.

I used a Mountain Bike on a stake-out, along with a pretext and a "uniform" that aided me fitting in with all the others. My bike helmet had a covert video and audio set up that fed back to my vehicle.

On other cases I used very expensive cars in neighborhoods that called for it. If I had Julian Assange skip on his Wikileaks confinement, I'd probably rent a British luxury car.

Post Posted: Mon 11 Apr 2011 17:55 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Welcome back Bill!

I have even dropped a car into a neighborhood until the locals were satisfied that it belonged there and then dropped an investigator off to occupy and use it for surveillance.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Mon 11 Apr 2011 19:43 
in memoriam

Black Chrysler mini-van, dark windows, handicap license plates, little handicap scooter on the back, no other markings. It's nice cause the seats fold in and you can sleep in it if needed... I also sometimes ride my Harley but of course not to transport 8) ... used to have a little VW and still have and use my Chevy Duramax diesel pickup... cover it with mud and it works great in the country setting I live in. I have a mountain bike but would probably have a hard time riding that and doing surveillance... would be nice to have all the high tech stuff like video/audio helmets and laptops hooked up on a stand in the vehicle... hell, I am lucky if I have a good pair of binoculars and a pad and pencil... I do have a CB and a couple of walki talkies... I do have a couple of nice sets of handcuffs and leg irons along with a belt lock and even a chain with locks... I do not have a stun gun but I do have one of my Dad's old cattle prods (Pop was a large animal vet back in the day)... and a water pistol with Clorox... the cattle prod will absolutely light you up... I think it has 8 big batteries in it.... any Vet supply can get this for you and it is not illegal...as far as I know. If you opt for one... get a good one... never buy something like this because it is cheap.... spend the money but get a good one... good pair of binoculars and nite vision products are also helpful... you can usually find them for less than $500... I have a pair that work fine... IR and low light enhancer combined.

You know what.... any decent vehicle that does not stand out is fine.... "blending in is the secret to surveillance"... hands down. High tech is fine but is not needed. Work smarter not harder. Spend your money on necessities not gadgets...

Be a cameleon...

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 10:54 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
The Boss's Mazda 6 wagon with her normal "stuff" all scattered around inside it. It looks lived in. Then my F250 with the Knack Box in the bed. Fits in most hoods other than the well to do.

But I don't have many well to do clients that run on me.

Post Posted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 11:01 
in memoriam

tsuggs wrote:
But I don't have many well to do clients that run on me.

Uh, huh... I sort of was wondering about that myself... Usually the ones with money, houses and other assets tend to go to court... I do however, hold their passports till it's finished.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion