Is This Going to Be a Problem Elsewhere? • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Is This Going to Be a Problem Elsewhere?
 Post Posted: Sun 06 Mar 2011 09:49 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
State orders WR man to not act as private investigator

By BECKY PURSER
WARNER ROBINS -- A state board that regulates private detectives and security businesses has issued a cease and desist order against a Warner Robins man.
The Georgia State Board of Private Detectives and Security Agencies ratified the order Feb. 24 concerning Tarius Bernard Newsome, according to a news release from the state Secretary of State’s Office.

According to a copy of the voluntary cease and desist order, Newsome does not have a license in Georgia to practice as a private detective or security agency.

The order states that Newsome “has consented to this order and agrees to voluntarily cease and desist from any act or practice that requires licensure” until he becomes properly licensed under state law.

The order stated that each violation of the cease and desist order is subject to a $500 fine.

Reached by telephone, Newsome said he has not represented himself as a private investigator or as operating a security business. Newsome said he signed the voluntarily cease and desist order because he felt it was in his best interest to do so. He likened it to contesting a speeding ticket when you know you haven’t been speeding.

Newsome, who listed himself with MIA bail enforcement of Warner Robins on the Fugitive Recovery Network’s website, said he is a bail recovery agent. Newsome said serving as a bail recovery agent who goes after bail jumpers does not require a state license, only eight hours of training, which he said he has completed.

Newsome is registered with the Houston County Sheriff’s Office as a bail recovery agent, said Houston County sheriff’s Capt. Alan Everidge.

To contact writer Becky Purser, call 256-9559.

Post subject: Re: Is This Going to Be a Problem Elsewhere?
 Post Posted: Sun 06 Mar 2011 18:46 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
Newsome, who listed himself with MIA bail enforcement of Warner Robins on the Fugitive Recovery Network’s website, said he is a bail recovery agent.

Interesting . . . it sounds as tho some one may have had a bug up their butt

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Tue 08 Mar 2011 08:54 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
Quote:
Interesting . . . it sounds as tho some one may have had a bug up their butt

I concur...

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post Posted: Tue 08 Mar 2011 13:14 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1
Okay I read the article and I can't see what the purpose of writing it was?

It doesn't appear that he did violate any rules.

Can someone enlighten me?

Article:
http://www.macon.com/2011/03/05/1475235 ... qus_thread

US Bail Bond Directory
Private Investigator Database

Please post questions in the "Comments or Suggestions" Forum
PM is only for private requests or comments

Post Posted: Tue 08 Mar 2011 14:02 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Anyone have an answer. Other than . . . "he stepped on someone's toes"

That is what I am assuming it to be after not only reading the article but the "comments" after as well.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

Post Posted: Wed 09 Mar 2011 06:12 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
I came back to read my original post and realized I needed to edit. I have been told that the term being used by Newsome was "Bail Investigator" which, by Georgia Law, is not a legal term. Only Bail Recovery Agent is authorized in this state. I am told that when he used "Bail Investigator" it was assumed that he was a Private Investigator (But that is 40th hand information :) and I dealt with a simular accusation, once) I do not know him but he may not be unprofessional and may, instead, be the target of "an example to others". In the past, I have had issues in this area, also. My favorite comment was "Leave the Police work to police. We don't like your kind around here and my Sheriff will agree." After several meetings and many cases, I have no issues in this AO, anymore.....but I am not a "Bail Investigator", either :lol:

Original post: It was all about the wording. Being that "he did step on someone's toes", they took an interest in him using the term "Investigator" while conducting Bail Recovery. As far as writing the article.....yeah, ummm. Not very informative and it leaves many questions. No real purpose is illustrated. That is Macon for you.

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Sat 12 Mar 2011 07:06 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Thank You Sno.

It is like some using the term "Fugitive Investigator" (as that is what we do) even tho we may or may not be Licensed PIs

Post Posted: Tue 15 Mar 2011 16:32 

We're under similar regulation here in Ohio.

Ohio Revised Code Sec. 2927.27 (B) stipulates using "Bail Enforcement Agent", "Fugitive Recovery Agent", "Bounty Hunter", or similar like term is the crime of Illegal Bail Bond Practices.

The hilariously funny part: I talked with two of the original co-sponsers (Tony Core (R-Bellefontaine) & Jeff Widener (R-Sycamore). It was deemed that use of those terms was too "intimidating" to bail jumpers and their families, and so licensing all participants in the bail industry as "Bail Bond Agents" was to create a kinder, gentler state. :shock:

Yea, figure that one out.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage