IDPA Shooting • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: IDPA Shooting
 Post Posted: Sun 27 Feb 2011 09:37 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
I want to highly recommend IDPA again. It has of course been mentioned numerous times on here but I think needs to be brought forth again...

We all need to polish our skill set with firearms... goodness knows I need all the practice I can get... this type of shooting hones those skills and improves your tactical advantage... something you may never need but should always have polished and ready.

You are only competing against yourself and the entire activity is simply to improve your abilities with your particular weapon.

There are many different levels of expertise and types of weapons... so that everyone can fit into their individual nitch.

I have many different weapons that I can shoot but have found that my Standard PX4 9mm Storm is probably as good as most and certainly less expensive to shoot... although I actually carry a subcompact .40 or .45... depending on how I feel at the time...

I have been shooting for many years but this group really opens your eyes and puts you in a scenario that is as close to real life as it gets without someone returning fire on you...

You don't even have to be a member to shoot... you can simply go to one club in your area and sign up to shoot and as long as you follow the rules and have all the proper credentials and accessories... ie: sound protection and glasses... you can pay a small fee ($15 where I shoot) and go for it.

The club that I shoot in is in NC but there are clubs all over the country.

The national website is: http://www.idpa.com/

and then me... ain't pretty but at least I am trying... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woRLhMpLkBA

After you shoot, most of the clubs post the results on line and you can see how you did... there are many YouTube videos on this subject and I would recommend viewing ...

Just put this out there for general info.... check it out......... I think you will find it interesting...

I shot 8th. out of 12 in my group.... hopefully I can improve each month... I am shooting in the SSP-NO... which is Standard Service Pistol- Novice... that is where you start I think.... so at least I wasn't on the bottom... we shall see if I can improve... God knows I can use the practice........................... take care and be safe. 8) 8)

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Re: IDPA Shooting
 Post Posted: Mon 28 Feb 2011 08:49 
in memoriam

check out this Glock team video... if you think you are good..... look at this guy... this is absolutely amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkKc2w2sPxs

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Mon 28 Feb 2011 09:26 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
I have really got to go shoot . . . something !

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Mon 28 Feb 2011 16:24 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1973
Experience: 3 - 5 years
I think Bill got everybody in the mood now.
Wish I can go now. I'm gonna have to go tomorrow.

Dave
Private Investigator
Licensed by the NYS DOS Division of Licensing

Post Posted: Mon 28 Feb 2011 17:46 
in memoriam

Well, as you may know I am consolidating my guns... trading some "wall flowers" and getting some really good quality shooters... I have acquired 5 new ones in the past month or so (if you have a CCP in Virginia there is no monthly limit)... went to the range Friday... shot like my grandmother... (sorry 'Bangmother')... well, not that good... but really bad... everything I did was either 4" low or 4" left... I must be pushing the gun... got to work on it... but IDPA and having a several good friends with a range and also living in the country is a help... practice, practice is what it is about. What a great sport this is... ya gotta do it... not only for your own improvement but for the fun of it....

Look at some of the videos on Youtube for IDPA.... makes you want to get out and burn some powder....

Post Posted: Tue 01 Mar 2011 11:45 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
If you carry a firearm related to your occupation you need to ensure that your training meets state standards. Just because you have meet the state requirements for a concealed carry permit does not mean that you are fully qualified to carry a firearm for the type of work you do. Several states require you to have a professional carry permit if you plan to carry a weapon as a private detective, bondsmen, bail enforcement agent. In some states the training bar is set rather low, yet in others you must take the same training that law enforcement officers receive.

No matter what minimum training your state mandates, it is critical to realistically assess your handgun skills and ask yourself if you are where you need to be. Some deliberate thought about exactly what training is needed to improve your skills will be significant in developing a training plan that, if followed, will allow you to accomplish the goals you have in mind. You need to ensure the relevance of the training you receive. If a course does not address your identified deficiencies, then it is of limited utility to you. In other words why would you take a course on how to shoot an M-16 rifle, when you only carry a handgun while on duty.

I would suggest courses that focus on weapon handling skills, weapon retention, close range personal defense, street survival tips and tactics, and legal guidelines and ramifications of using force up to and including lethal force. You should try your hand at IPDA, IPSC, USPSA, and NRA, shooting sports. However as a bare minimum you need to go to the firing range at least once a month and work on your shooting skills, seek assistance from certified instructor, and save your receipts and targets as documentation of any training done or received.

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Last edited by DSI on Wed 02 Mar 2011 07:06, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue 01 Mar 2011 18:28 
in memoriam

DSI... that is great info and advice... and all the costs involved are deductible at tax time... guns, ammo, license costs, training, travel to and from the range, range costs, cleaning products, holsters, anything related to weapons... on and on and on... I mean everything is deductible... so if your in a 35% bracket, you have already gotten a 35% discount on everything you use and spend... (I may be oversimplifying the deal here) and besides, if you purchase good quality weapons they generally will hold value and in many instances may appreciate.

I shoot at least twice a month and more if possible... I can shoot long guns pretty good after 40 years of deer and turkey hunting but handguns require a different skill set and especially since they are generally for an entirely different purpose. Deer and turkey ordinarily do not shoot back and are not dangerous as such... the handgun training is something that can and may just save your life. Besides, it is fun to shoot and the community and circles you run in are quite interesting and if your old and decrepit like me.... you can learn a lot from the crowd.

Just found an online source for some inexpensive ammo.... reviews say the stuff is pretty good... I just ordered... a lot... we will see... I will let you know if it is worthwhile.... couple of my buddies say it is good ammo that feeds well and is good for practice and is quite reasonable.... http://www.usaammo.com/Default.aspx

Post Posted: Tue 01 Mar 2011 19:02 
in memoriam

Got a shoot this Sunday at "The Range" directions on this link... if you get a chance and your in the neighborhood come on down... I will be the one that looks like I am lost.... there should be a good crowd... stop in if you can... I am new too so you will be right at home and I will have one or two of my buddies with me so you can meet a few of us...

2/6/2011 starts around Noon...........

http://www.the-range.com/

click on the 'direction' link

Post Posted: Wed 02 Mar 2011 04:45 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Thanks, just contacted my local IDPA instructor.

Owner, A Beagle Investigations and Process Service
TN P.I. License #6232, TN P.I. Company License #1496
Senior Agent, A Bail Away Bonding Company Inc.
T.A.P.B.A. Certification Always Current

Post Posted: Wed 02 Mar 2011 07:01 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
Thank you Bill for starting this thread, we all consider ourselves professionals and as such we must be professionally trained in all job related subjects to include the personal protection equipment that carry and use. With the type of work we do its all about our liability and how can we negate its ill effects on the bottom line.

Also Bill you may want to check out http://www.townhall.virginia.gov insofar as DCJS has again proposed some new private security services regulations related to firearms training at both the entry and in-service levels. You will find that it also talks about the same mandated training requirements for bondsmen and bail enforcement agents.

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion