Inmates Die in Private Transport Accident • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: Inmates Die in Private Transport Accident
 Post Posted: Mon 07 Sep 2009 17:38 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Quote:
Please consider this as part of your tactical plan, and prepare for it. Red Bulls don't work forever and you will crash off of them as well as any other Caffeine introducer. You need sleep, and a constant rotation of people to effect the proper and safe transport.

Just under 30 years over the road trucker.... 2 to 3000 miles weekly; 2.8 million miles verifiable (Hell, I got the 'Mac' belt buckles to prove it... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) , no chargeable accidents... so with those qualifications I will tell you Scott is right on the money. Rotating drivers is the best way to do this, but short of that, you better be able to keep those eyes open... coffee, red bull or any other means but I would keep it legal.... no 'trucker pills' cause you could very easily be out of a job if you got tested and besides... and this is absolutely the truth.... in 30 years of driving for a living.... the strongest thing I took to stay awake was a gallon of black coffee and cigarettes (which I have since given up... the cigarettes, not the coffee...) soft drinks also have much caffeine.... Mr. Dew is the highest content of caffeine on the market FYI... I will tell you another secret, although it may be hard to do under your circumstances....... 15 to 20 minutes of sleep.... known as a 'power nap' can do wonders.... also, getting out of the van and walking around it twice can help.... just as long as your prisoners don't do the same.......... 8)

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Mon 07 Sep 2009 17:47 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
.... also, getting out of the van and walking around it twice can help.... just as long as your prisoners don't do the same..........

That type of activity has made the papers as well . . . they (the prisioners) decided to GO for a walk rather than stay with the van :shock:

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Tue 29 Jun 2010 14:19 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Shawn Robert Talbot's family files lawsuit against U.S. Extradition Services

The parents of a Utah inmate killed in a southern Arkansas van rollover in 2008 have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against a private company that contracts with law enforcement to transport prisoners across the country.

Court papers filed in Salt Lake City's U.S. District Court Friday say U.S. Extradition Services of Stockton, Calif., was negligent in the June 27, 2008, accident that killed Shawn Robert Talbot.

The lawsuit contends the driver fell asleep at the wheel before the van drifted into oncoming traffic. Court papers say Talbot was handcuffed and shackled, but not wearing a seat belt.

A telephone message left at U.S. Extradition's office was not immediately returned Tuesday.

An attorney for Talbot's parents says company employees were not properly trained.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

Post Posted: Sun 26 Dec 2010 16:05 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

http://www.privateci.org/rap_USExtrad.html

PUBLISHED: DECEMBER 24. 2010 3:15PM
Utah couple reaches deal in fatal prison van crash
By JENNIFER DOBNER Associated Press
A federal judge has dismissed a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the Utah parents of an inmate who died in a 2008 prison van crash in Arkansas, after the couple reached an undisclosed settlement with the van's owner.

U.S. District Court Judge Dale Kimball dismissed the lawsuit Wednesday after Robert and Linda Talbot reached a settlement with U.S. Extradition Services, a Stockton, Calif.-based private company that contracts with law enforcement to transport prisoners across the country.

The terms of the settlement were not disclosed, although a court order says the parties will pay their own legal expenses.

Robert and Linda Talbot, who live in Utah County, filed their lawsuit in Salt Lake City's federal court in June. In court papers, they contended that U.S. Extradition was negligent and that the company's driver fell asleep at the wheel.

According to the lawsuit, Shawn Robert Talbot was shackled and handcuffed, but not wearing a seat belt, inside a van traveling across southern Arkansas when it drifted into oncoming traffic on U.S. 167 on June 27, 2008.

Arkansas State Police said another employee grabbed the wheel of the van and overcorrected. The van then hit a culvert and went airborne before rolling twice and coming to a stop, an officer told an Arkansas newspaper at the time.

Shawn Talbot, 29, was among seven inmates and two guards in the van, which was headed to Little Rock, the Arkansas state police said.

Shawn Talbot died the scene. A second inmate also died, and four others were injured.

U.S. Extradition has offices nationwide, including Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee and Texas.

Post Posted: Sun 26 Dec 2010 16:06 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

almost 2-1/2 years and we have somewhat of an answer . . . they settled . . . for an undisclosed amount.

Post Posted: Tue 25 Jan 2011 07:18 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1611
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Chiming in here kind of late.

I am in Austin, I have done this type of work (subbed out) to U.S. Extradition. I will tell you I will not do it again. We had 3 days to travel 5K miles picking up and dropping off up to 13 prisoners from 6 different states. All on a deadline, all deadlines were almost up. It was allot of pressure, we had three guards. We were told we needed to be armed. Mind you this was before I got smart about educating myself and took someone else’s word about this business.

We open carried weapons from Texas to Georgia and back to Colorado, inside the perimeter of Federal Prisons, State Prisons, State Jails and County Jails. I now know that I am the luckiest person in the world because NONE of that is legal at least not by a private citizen. I called the Texas Department Of Public Safety and they said they do not regulate prisoner transport.

We were seen by law enforcement in just about every state. Not one of them stopped us to ask for credentials. Just put on a uniform, a gun, a door magnet and your off. We so were exhausted from driving, one of the guards, refused to sleep while the other two were awake so when it came time for him to drive he was to tired. It was the worst experience ever. We are so lucky no one escaped or worse was killed in a horrible crash. When we returned to Austin I was done. Never again….

The U.S. Extradition guys here in Austin have been seen wearing shirts that say “Prisoner Transport” and they are open carrying weapons like law enforcement. They were not even transporting prisoners, they were shopping. I have seen them myself inside a G.T. Distributors store that was full of COPS not one asked for credentials, I saw them again at the Sheriffs convention walking around the booths doing the same thing. Again not one person questioned them. I think if cops are not sure they will opt to do nothing. So the mentality is, well if they are carrying weapons and not trying to hide it they must be doing it legally.

There is no regulation, no governing body and myself included just a bunch of uneducated, ignorant and untrained individuals doing this type work. I had no business doing this job. U.S. Extradition gets paid per mile, per prisoner. So the longer the drive the more they make, the more prisoners they can stack up in a single transport the more they make per mile. Don’t get me wrong I am all about making some money, but this goes beyond being remotely safe. I know a crew here locally that advertises that they do this service as a sub for U.S. Extradition, I also know they are untrained and breaking the open carry laws of this state and probably just about every other state they travel to.

I say leave this work to the U.S. Marshalls or Law Enforcement.

Sentry Security & Investigations L.P. - Vice President
Curently Licensed in Texas as;
Private Investigator TXLC A16879
Level III Commissioned Security Officer TXLC C11454
Level IV Personal Protection Officer TXLC C11454
Texas Issued Concealed Handgun License

Post Posted: Tue 25 Jan 2011 09:10 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Charlie, the converse of your position is Luvonda and her company. She runs her business like expedited freight. You contract a vehicle with transport personnel for 1 prisoner, period. It is "Dedicated" freight and does not involve multiple pick ups and drop offs. I have performed services for her company and she was straight forward, no nonsense and extremely strict, all admirable traits in my book. Pay was as agreed in the alloted time frame. I would gladly do business with her again.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Tue 25 Jan 2011 09:21 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1611
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Mdbtyhtr wrote:
You contract a vehicle with transport personnel for 1 prisoner, period. It is "Dedicated" freight and does not involve multiple pick ups and drop offs.

--This is the only way I would even consider it.

Not pointing fingers at anyone but U.S. Extradition, only because I have a personal experience with them. I commented only on my personal experience, I was trying not to generalize and I am sure Luvonda runs a tight ship and would never take the kind of risks that were described. Your description of your personal experience with Luvonda makes this very clear.

Sentry Security & Investigations L.P. - Vice President
Curently Licensed in Texas as;
Private Investigator TXLC A16879
Level III Commissioned Security Officer TXLC C11454
Level IV Personal Protection Officer TXLC C11454
Texas Issued Concealed Handgun License

Post Posted: Tue 25 Jan 2011 10:32 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Thank You . . . and you can see the reason for being strict.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage