Bondsman Courtroom Procedures. • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: Bondsman Courtroom Procedures.
 Post Posted: Mon 31 May 2010 23:42 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3077
Experience: 5 - 7 years
I dont see how delivering to the court would be beneficial,Would this not hurt more than help? there are potential clients in that court room for bondsman which may lead to potential skips for recovery agents.Now with all the discretion that is needed why would we want these potentials to know our identity? kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion.
I would just stick to the basics and turn in to the jail and allow them to transport their new customer were he needs to be,as long as bondsmans off bond the defendants court appearance is the jails problem.

Cell:(931)551-5020

Post Posted: Tue 01 Jun 2010 06:04 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Jayc4929 wrote:
I dont see how delivering to the court would be beneficial,Would this not hurt more than help? there are potential clients in that court room for bondsman which may lead to potential skips for recovery agents.Now with all the discretion that is needed why would we want these potentials to know our identity? kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion.I would just stick to the basics and turn in to the jail and allow them to transport their new customer were he needs to be,as long as bondsmans off bond the defendants court appearance is the jails problem.

Naahhh... I don't worry about that happening... most people know the drill and I personally think that would be a moot point to the ones looking to get out... if they are scared off by seeing that we do our job... I wouldn't want them anyway.

BTW, doing it the way I pointed out... by giving the baliff the BP and allowing him to serve the defendant in the courtroom... you may not even be fingered as the bondsman... and I repeat... if you picked him up yourself... I take him to the jail and not the courtroom so this wouldn't apply to what you are saying.

And as an added feature here.... in cooler weather, I have a light jacket that I wear that has the words "BAIL BONDSMAN" across the back, so there is no mistaking who I am and if I sit in court... I usually sit on the second row and everyone behind me knows exactly who I am... now some courtrooms frown on this type of advertising in the courtroom but in the 11 years I have been in this business, not one baliff has ask me to remove my jacket... of course, it is not facing the judge and is only visible when I am on my way out.... anyway, just an afterthought.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 01 Jun 2010 17:12 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
There are a couple of reasons for a court surrender by a bail agent. Maybe not so for a recovery agent.

One is, many jails do not know how to handle a "pre skip" or pre forfeiture bail surrender. If they don't see a warrant, they will not take the defendant in custody.

Even though it is the law at least in CA and if we have the proper paperwork, some jails just do not understand the process and you will not get very far trying to tell a cop his job.

Another reason is to stay in good terms with the defendant. Yea thats right. If you tell the defendant that there is a very good chance that the judge will O.R. them, they are less likely to fight.

I'm off the bond, the co signer is and the defendant is still free.

It's been my experience, that most judges will go ahead and O.R. the person the same day.

And finally as Bill stated everyone in court will know you are a bail agent. The court sees that you are doing your job professionally.

Post Posted: Tue 01 Jun 2010 17:36 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
tsuggs wrote:
There are a couple of reasons for a court surrender by a bail agent. Maybe not so for a recovery agent.
One is, many jails do not know how to handle a "pre skip" or pre forfeiture bail surrender. If they don't see a warrant, they will not take the defendant in custody.Even though it is the law at least in CA and if we have the proper paperwork, some jails just do not understand the process and you will not get very far trying to tell a cop his job.Another reason is to stay in good terms with the defendant. Yea thats right. If you tell the defendant that there is a very good chance that the judge will O.R. them, they are less likely to fight.I'm off the bond, the co signer is and the defendant is still free.It's been my experience, that most judges will go ahead and O.R. the person the same day.

Tony, you have said a mouthful. I cannot tell you the times the jailer has refused to sign the Bail Piece when turning in a defendant... they just look at me and say... "I ain't signin' that thing", you gonna have to wait and see the magistrate... I even carry a copy of the Virginia code that spells out the procedure and how the jailer in the returning jurisdiction must sign as receipt of the defendant............... "nope, ain't happenin"... so I often just wait for the magistrate... and even after I have educated the jailer and he knows what to do... the next time I show up with one... there is a brand new jailer and he just looks at me with that "1000 yard stare" and says.................... "Nope, I ain't signin' that thing!" :lol: :lol:

One time, about 3am, I hand-cuffed the defendant to the chair in the waiting room with a copy of the bail piece in his pocket and walked out and the jailer came running out the door yelling... I just looked at him and said "I'm done... your in charge, you handle it...". He looked at me, again with that 1000 yard stare and said............. "OK, ok... what am I supposed to do?"

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 01 Jun 2010 18:37 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
You know this brings up another part of this whole bail / recovery thing.

Bail agents and "bounty hunters" are looked down uopn as the scum of the earth, by most other parties of the criminal justice system.

Yet we are the only ones that put our own money at risk each and every time we write a bond. If we screw up. It comes out of our pockets.

If a cop make an arrest and the perp walks, the cop still has a job. If a DA loses a case, they still keep their job. If defense attorney's client goes to prison, he still gets paid. And the judge, unless it is gross negligence and the media does a story about it, they still sit on the bench.

Yet if we don't get a client back to court, there goes daddys new car or the babys college fund.

If the recovery guys don't find the skip, they don't get paid as much or nothing at all.

But we know how each of the other parts of the system are suppose to do their jobs sometimes more than they do.

I am sure that many of you have had to tell a judge how to clear a forfeiture or accept a surrender. I have.

How educating a DA on extradition? Ditto.

Everyone would be wise to study the court procedures and policies in your main area of operation.

Post Posted: Tue 01 Jun 2010 19:32 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
Everyone would be wise to study the court procedures and policies in your main area of operation.

I agree. Not only"know" what is going on in that Courtroom but also learn the dynamics of the major players in that "Room" and know what is going on in that room. Be Professional.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Wed 02 Jun 2010 01:39 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3077
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Guess im looking at it more from a recovery agent stand point and my obligation to my client(bondsman)and i didnt really mean it would scare off a potential client just make them aware of who would be catching them if they did feel like running.
I have never turned a defendant in to the court so i would not know that procedure.Have not really had alot of problems as of yet turning any of my defendants in other than every once in awhile having to spend alot of time waiting on a jailer to bring defendant into booking room.
when i first started reading this forum i read somewere that it would be wise to sit in on court cases and learn the procedures there,that helped me a bit more than expected.So i have to agree with suggs on that aspect.
Thanks for the informative post guys and gal as always.

Cell:(931)551-5020

Post Posted: Sun 06 Jun 2010 15:49 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Ah Tony. I thought i was the only one that has run into issues booking people back in without active warrants. Thank god I know most of the old time COs in my county helps alot.

360 237 1721 efax
408 402 2710 work cell
DOI Bail Agent Lic 1844214
BSIS G1533544

Go hug a Tree

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion