How do you represent yourself? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: How do you represent yourself?
 Post Posted: Mon 29 Mar 2010 10:45 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
I was reading a forum topic earlier today enititled "Badges" in the Open Discussion forum. I was at first very interested and became bored at a fast rate. It seemed to me like many posts/reply's were made from people who really wanted to be like LE. One person even addressed this issue by saying "leave Halloween for the kids" HA HA! The two main issues in this post were concealed carry and carrying Badges.

I did have a thought brought to me during my reading though. There is some mixed reviews from people regarding the positives/negatives of carrying a badge while on the job. So I am curious about the people here who work in the field and if they carry badges. If you do carry a badge what title is stated on it? (Bail Enforcement Agent, Fugitive recovery or anything else???) Also how do you represent yourself in the Field? Do you show the person/subject your badge and then arrest them. Or what about when you interview a family member during your search, do you show them a badge? In short, what is your procedure for representation. I am only curious becuase everyone is different and I have heard good things from both carrying and not carrying a badge. In my opinion carrying a badge is acceptable only when your on the job. I feel it provides proffesionalism in your appearence when combined with a solid uniform that displays who you are. Such as lettering that states BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENT. However, I feel there is a fine line between someone utilizing a uniform/badge in the line of work and someone playing dress up because they want to be LE. The side of the line that you fall on is determined by your integrity and proffesionalism. This is just my opinion, feel free to correct me if you feel I am wrong. We will discuss it.

Also, When recovering a fugitive do you have some sort of Visible Text on a uniform or Jacket to display who you are? I think I would. Its not only for the benefit of the public to know who you are but If you are in a "situation" and have to call 911, having letters that display you as AGENT, BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENT or FUGITIVE RECOVERY would help LE to establish who you are in that given situation.

Thanks for your replies.

Resident Insurance Producer: Bail Bonds
License #: 40199019

**I am licensed to work in the field of Bail Bond recovery. However, I do not work in the field nor have I ever. I added my license in my signature only to show others the achievement I have made in getting one step closer to establishing a business. **

Post subject: Re: How do you represent yourself?
 Post Posted: Mon 29 Mar 2010 12:21 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Experience: More than 10 years
The Badge,Firearms and type of vehicles used have all been discussed over and over and over here on the forums. You will always get varied answers. You will have to use what works for you and is legal in each state that you are working in, if you work in house you should abide with what your employer says is acceptable as they are paying you. if you don't agree with them seek another employer. When i use to go from state to state and town to town i found what worked for me is i always check-in with LE face to face at first and ask the shift Supervisor what is appropriate on his shift and in 35 years i only had words with a Southern parish sheriff who thought he was almighty God. I only work in Indiana now and after several years have forged a good relationship with almost all the LE folks in most cites. In Fort Wayne i can pick up the phone and have LE go rearrest any FTA if they have an officer available and never leave my office. No liability on me or my company and i collect my fee and smile all the way to the bank. But this has taken 10yrs to get it this way. LE here has had to deal with some real cowboys over the years and even to this day. Be Professional, Dress for Success and know your laws and you will enjoy the fruits of this business if there is any to be had. Also networking will go along way, I have done many straight pick-ups for 1 or 2% even done alot for free as my business has went along you will receive help and save money two fold for networking.

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post Posted: Mon 29 Mar 2010 13:48 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Great response, David!

There is a ton of information on here that has been addressed previously, even some by members that have passed, and their opinions are no less valid today.

Individual states govern what you can wear, what is written on your uniform, if you are allowed to wear a uniform, if you can even have a badge, and if so, what can and cannot be written on it. Do the research in your own state and do not put your personal freedom in jeopardy based on somebody else's opinion.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Last edited by Mdbtyhtr on Mon 29 Mar 2010 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon 29 Mar 2010 14:15 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
That was great advice David and Scott, let me just piggyback on that advice and say again that being a professional is not just a catch phrase its a mandate for what we do. Please take the time to review the laws of areas that you work in.

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post Posted: Mon 29 Mar 2010 16:30 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
It seemed to me like many posts/reply's were made from people who really wanted to be like LE. One person even addressed this issue by saying "leave Halloween for the kids" HA HA! The two main issues in this post were concealed carry and carrying Badges.
In my opinion carrying a badge is acceptable only when your on the job. I feel it provides proffesionalism in your appearence when combined with a solid uniform that displays who you are. Such as lettering that states BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENT. However, I feel there is a fine line between someone utilizing a uniform/badge in the line of work and someone playing dress up because they want to be LE. The side of the line that you fall on is determined by your integrity and proffesionalism. This is just my opinion, feel free to correct me if you feel I am wrong. We will discuss it.

The people responding in the other thread as well as here have been in the Industry for many many years. The one that stated "leave the Halloween for the kids" . . . well, he has not only been In the Industry for years but is a teacher as well and very respected. You may want to do a bit more reading here so that you get an idea of who you are talking to or about ;-)

Ditto the responses here about following what is acceptable in the area that you will be working. As far as displaying a Badge when dealing with an individual . . . always remember the "Reasonable Man" for it will be he that is sitting in the Jury Box. And we will be dealing with yet another Black Eye to the Industry.

When an individual first sees a Badge their first thought is LE. They are not going to take the time to get a GOOD HARD LOOK and see the wording. When they describe it to LE they are going to say they saw a LE Badge. To borrow a line used here recently by DSI and Scott . . ."We don't need no stinkin Badges"

I see that you list yourself as having less than 3 years experience . . . I will be in this field 10 years this Sept. The others that have now responded to you have way more than that. And we are all liability free.

Please take the time and do some serious reading here. You will find the answers to what you are asking many times over. This very subject has been beat to death many times . . . in many threads.

The following is copied right from you Profile.
Quote:
age 24
Occupation: Day Job- Drivers Education Instructor, I also am in the process of establishing a Private Investigations business in Northern MN.

Based upon what you have listed in your Profile I do not even see "less than 3 years experience", Infact I see nothing related to this field of work other than the statement that you are "in the process of starting a PI business".
I also checked in the Introduction Section and I see NO Introduction from yourself. So tell us a little bit about yourself and then as you state . . . WE will be more than willing to "Discuss it"

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Mon 29 Mar 2010 18:52 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
I just wanted to chime in here... I have posted several times concerning what I wear and what I look like when working... I wanted to say that being professional in your appearance is absolutely the single most important thing you can do to put forth a positive and productive lead on your business. I jokingly talk on occasion about shorts and sandals and all sorts of ridiculous articles that I carry or have in my car or around me when working.... having said all that, you better believe that when I have the need to be professional, I clean up real fast... and all of us need to do the same. Fun is fun but business is just that, all business.

Our image is unfortunately tarnished by persons that treat this business like something out of the OK Corral... or they dress like a storm trooper or try to impersonate LE, which is not only against the law but absolutely infuriates the true LE on the street. There is nothing wrong, in particular, with 511's and all the tac stuff you can wear but represent yourself as a professional even if dressed that way and remain low key...

I won't go into a lengthy discussion here, just wanted to mention that although I do occasionally dress like I am on the way to Disneyland... it is not at all how I operate normally... having said that... I do still get more done on picking up what few skips I have, when dressed rather casually... but going to court... I have on the proverbial coat and tie.... and frankly, that is the way we should look.......... most of the time.... of course if you do dress casually... try to keep your pants around your waist, rather than your knees.

BTW... I do not carry a badge... just my formal ID...

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Mon 29 Mar 2010 19:09 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

oops! I found an Intro . . . I see how I missed it tho it was not titled with "who and where from" . . . I apologize for missing that . . . perhaps this Topic will be of help to you

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9435

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

Post Posted: Mon 29 Mar 2010 20:16 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
LuVonda-

I think you may have gotten then wrong impression from my post. For this I apologise. It was not my intent to hurt anyones feelings or to anger anyone. I was merely stating my observations. Also, I would like to address a few issues in your reply.

LuVonda wrote:
The people responding in the other thread as well as here have been in the Industry for many years. The one that stated "leave the Halloween for the kids" . . . well, he has not only been In the Industry for years but is a teacher as well and very respected. You may want to do a bit more reading here so that you get an idea of who you are talking to or about

The person that stated "leave the Halloween for the kids" is very correct. When I commented on that I followed up with a "HA HA!" I was not laughing at the person making the comment. I was laughing at the people he was reffering too. I liked and appreciated that comment very much and I totally agreed. I thought humor was an accepted thing in this forum?

LuVonda wrote:
I see that you list yourself as having less than 3 years experience . . . I will be in this field 10 years this Sept. The others that have now responded to you have way more than that. And we are all liability free.

Please take the time and do some serious reading here. You will find the answers to what you are asking many times over. This very subject has been beat to death many times . . . in many threads.

To those of you who are experienced in this field and have responded to my posts. I respect each and everyone of you and I appreciate your time to reply to my posts. I apologize for offending anyone by asking a question that has been beaten to death many times. I am merely curious and I am trying to further educate myself in this field. The laws for MN are very vague in regards to Bail Agents. I ask questions on this forum because my state law leaves so many unanswered questions. I also ask questions because I respect what the veteran members of this forum have to say and I am willing and eager to learn from them.

LuVonda wrote:
Based upon what you have listed in your Profile I do not even see "less than 3 years experience", Infact I see nothing related to this field of work other than the statement that you are "in the process of starting a PI business".

As far as this statement goes I do not have any bail experience what so ever. However I do have related experience in other fields. I will get to that shortly. Also, I made a typo when I said that I was in the process of starting a PI business. It should have stated that I am in the process with a partner to establish a PI/Bail Bonds business. I apologize for the confusion.

LuVonda wrote:
I also checked in the Introduction Section and I see NO Introduction from yourself. So tell us a little bit about yourself and then as you state . . . WE will be more than willing to "Discuss it"

As Far as this quote goes....I have posted my introduction. It was entitled "new to forum, new to bail." I took the liberty to copy and paste this for you and others to be able to read. I did this in case I may have posted my introduction in the wrong part of the forum. It was posted on March 21, 2010 at 10:56 pm. Here it is:

Hello,

My name is Nate. I am new to the Bail Bond business. I joined this forum to observe, ask questions and learn.

Myself and a partner are entering into business for Private Investigations and Bail Bond recovery agecy called Twin Ports Watch in Minnesota. We are currently going through the process obtaining licensure, insurance and training. Our main goal right now is to concentrate on completely setting up the business before we attempt to operate. I am attempting to have all of "i's" dotted and the "T's" crossed so we do not get blindsided by anything.

My previous experience includes:

3 years as a Corrections Officer
2 years of Special Operations Response Team (S.O.R.T)
*MN Dept. of Corrections
2 years of Law Enforcement Skills Training
1 year of Shoplifter Apprehension
1 year of Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) installation

I have background in all the following topics but these are the topics I am most interested in:
- Use Of Force
- Less Lethal Munitions
- Continuing Education
- Networking
- Bondsman / Bail Enforcement Agent/ Client Relationship
- Marketing and Advertising
- The Business aspect of being a Bail Bondsman and a Bail Enforcement Agent

I look forward to speaking with you.

Nate
Twin Ports Watch

Well I hope this will clear things up as to where I am coming from. Just to further explain myself, I was a Correctional Officer for the state of MN for 3 years. During my time as a CO I spent two years on the SORT team. SORT is MN DEPT OF CORRECTIONS term for SWAT. I also spent a year and a half of that time as a Defensive tactics/ PPCT instructor. In addition to this I graduated from the Law Enforcement Training program at Fond Du Lac Tribal and Community College. For this program I participated in a 6 month internship program at the local PD.

I stated that I have less than 3 years of experience in BAIL. I actually have no experience in bail. I will change this ASAP. However, when it comes to topics like Use Of Force, less lethal munitions, firearms and subject apprehension I feel that I am educated enough to be able to discuss these topics.

Once again I am merely hear to learn. Not to stir the pot. I will do my best to research topics in more depth than I have been before posting my questions on this forum for now on. Once again thanks for everyone’s time and I appreciate all of your responses. I will restate my original questions to shortened form as follows: What are your ( your meaning anyone working in the field who is a member of this forum) procedures for identifying yourself in your line of work to the general public or to your subjects your after?

Thanks again for your time.

Resident Insurance Producer: Bail Bonds
License #: 40199019

**I am licensed to work in the field of Bail Bond recovery. However, I do not work in the field nor have I ever. I added my license in my signature only to show others the achievement I have made in getting one step closer to establishing a business. **

Post Posted: Mon 29 Mar 2010 20:36 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Nate
I did search the Intro Section and did find your post . . .
I did post an OOPS! I found it . . . along with a Topic that would explain the way this Forum somewhat works.
Please take the time to READ this Forum. PLEASE start with the thread that I pasted a link to.
You did not anger me nor did you hurt my feelings . . . been around to long for either.

Quote:
I have posted my introduction. It was entitled "new to forum, new to bail." I took the liberty to copy and paste this for you and others to be able to read. I did this in case I may have posted my introduction in the wrong part of the forum. It was posted on March 21, 2010 at 10:56 pm. Here it is:

Quote:
When posting your introduction, use the subject line to state your name and location. That way we can tell who you are and where you are from without having to read through a bunch of unidentified "new member" and other similarly titled threads to find the one we want. Do not duplicate your intro in other areas of the forum. Do not post the same questions in multiple topics and areas of the forum. It is easier to locate and answer a question in one place versus some answering in one area and others answering in another.

The above quote is from the Thread that I pasted a link to. It is also the very first one in the Introduction Section and is titled Just a couple of suggestions for new members

I hope that this helps you.

Post Posted: Mon 29 Mar 2010 20:51 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Quote:
What are your ( your meaning anyone working in the field who is a member of this forum) procedures for identifying yourself in your line of work to the general public or to your subjects your after?

If I am looking for someone and I am doing street work I . . . play it by ear. I am very low key and do not draw attention to myself.
We do not carry Badges here a def NO NO . . . the following is the reason why
When an individual first sees a Badge their first thought is LE. They are not going to take the time to get a GOOD HARD LOOK and see the wording. When they describe it to LE they are going to say they saw a LE Badge. There goes an Impersonation charge and another black eye.
My job is to get my individual and return them to Jail ~ wherever that may be.
If I am hunting you, then you are most likely one of my own wayward clients and . . . You already know who I am. If I am hunting for someone else . . . you will get to know who I am when I reach out and touch your wrist as I tell you that you are in custody and the cuffs are on before you can respond.
By Law here in Arkansas I must contact the Local LE and advise them, Who I am, Who I work for, Who I am after, and the possible location of the defendant, as well as their charges.
Should I not do this and LE is called . . . I SHALL BE GUILTY OF a Class D Felony. I cannot identify myself as anything other than a Lic Professional Bail Bond Agent (Thank You Asa! and AZ 1999)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10302

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion