Ideas on image improvement for FRA's • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Ideas on image improvement for FRA's
 Post Posted: Wed 10 Mar 2010 10:55 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
Just a thought thinking back to the days when my father was in LE and his department was under severe budget cuts. As anyone considered volunteering with your local LE departments to help improve the image of a FRA? Seriously, just 1 or 2 days a month could make a huge difference in how the departments look at you.

I noticed a lot of members feel LE frowns upon the FRA's and and one way to improve relations would be to get them to know you and how professional you are. For example:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Employment_Volunteers.shtm#Volunteer%20Opportunities--Partial%20List

Laugh if you want, but I don't think it could hurt. Most of the LE agencies are having budget shortfalls and if they can get some volunteers, than to me that would be a way of showing them your not like the TV Drama character. Just my humble opinion...

VA DCJS #99-99238446

Post subject: Re: Ideas on image improvement for FRA's
 Post Posted: Wed 10 Mar 2010 12:52 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3077
Experience: 5 - 7 years
I dont know about in your state but here in Tn. i believe that is a conflict of interest.Meaning a current LE officer cannot be a BEA,the same goes for correctional officers.If the conflict wasnt there your idea would probably be beneficial.

Cell:(931)551-5020

Post Posted: Wed 10 Mar 2010 13:33 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: None
I don't think it is a conflict if you are acting as a civilian volunteer without pay or under the employment of LE. I might be wrong, but since you are not employed by the department, therfore you are not a LE officer, and you are doing thinks like data entry or community service activities (Child ID Kits) stictly as a volunteer of the community, then it shouldn't be considered a conflict. Just a thought.

Then there is the idea of working with them on special projects, i.e. habitat for humanity, citizen patrols, etc. Just my .02 cents..

VA DCJS #99-99238446

Post Posted: Wed 10 Mar 2010 15:16 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
If your state licenses BEAs it would probably be a conflict of interest.

In CA, as a bail agent we can't have any affiliation with LE. And Current CA law prevents active LE from "freelancing" as BEA.

I doubt any department would give a bail agent or BEA access to their date and records systems. Too much of a temptation.

Just my opinion.

Now, I have attended fundraisers and have donated to local LE PAL program and the S.O. junvenile hall programs. That has opened the door for 2 way dialog with LE and the bail business.

Post Posted: Wed 10 Mar 2010 16:20 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Tony,
That is a fact, here in Georgia (in my AO, atleast). after being Mandate Certified, I went to 9 different counties....12 departments in all....applying as Auxillary Force and was told by each (in simplest terms) "No way. Your a Bounty Hunter and have no clue what we do. It is a liability." Different departments said different things but the bottom line was "No....because you bounty hunt." Even now, my home county will not allow me to "ride along" or be auxillary because of my Recovery experience. They overlook the point that I have certification for Law Enforcment AND military experience along with experience in the field (that many of thier own do not). I am not upset or put off by this. It is just another case of "People don't know how much they really don't know". Ignorance is bliss.... so I hear :lol:

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Thu 11 Mar 2010 10:13 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 3 years
I see some benefits in this, but as far as giving back and improving our image? The best way we can do that is to stay professional and mind our "P's and Q's". I can understand the concerns from both sides of the fence. Scott I think it's a great idea though...

Hey, maybe we should post a TV ad that starts off with kids playing, people talking in an office, and someone getting bonded out of jail - then a bunch of guys come together and one person says "Hi, I'm a recovery agent, and these are my friends, and notice they don't have mullets. All of us shouldn't be judged due to one of us". Then we'll cue up some sappy music. We'll call it, the Fugitive Recovery Network. Thoughts?

:mrgreen:

There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything. - From the Hagakure

Post Posted: Thu 11 Mar 2010 15:08 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Experience: More than 10 years
I will offer this...I currently do locates for child support enforcement and I do it Pro Bono, and as far as it goes, have received no benefit from it at all because the officers would not admit that someone else did their job for them. It is a matter of ego. The few that know are definately appreciative, but would not confirm or deny this activity to anyone.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Thu 11 Mar 2010 16:30 

I sought out the local Crime Stoppers chapter about 6 years ago and joined up as a board member.

Within a year, I was elected Chairman of the group and continue in that position, today. I firmly believe it has helped me to be more accepted and respected in the community.

Participation in Crime Stoppers provides numerous, regular opportunities to meet and work with law enforcement in a setting other than seeing me at the jail. I get to know them, they get to know me, it's win-win for everyone...in my experience.

A key point, however, once you volunteer for Crime Stoppers or any other service organization, ie: Kiwanas Club, Sertoma, Lions Club, etc. is that you be willing and committed to participating and getting involved. Attend the meetings regularly, help with projects, offer your input, and/or accept a leadership role and FOLLOW THROUGH.

These outfits have enough dead weight on their membership rolls. Don't be part of the problem.

Professional regards.
David Platt
aka: Bailagent100

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion