Badges and Demarcation - What does your state allow • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Post subject: Badges and Demarcation - What does your state allow
 Post Posted: Wed 03 Mar 2010 18:46 

Here in Utah we are in the midst of a major tug of war with the state trying to get badges and demarcation put into law. As of right now none of us are allowed to have anything in our possession except a state issued ID card that looks more or less like a drivers license. We believe it puts us in a very vulnerable and dangerous position and we would like to see some change as it has been this way since 1999. Utah is very strict on what they want us to use as identification and I would like to know what other states allow and what they don't. Your input is much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Badges and Demarcation - What does your state allow
 Post Posted: Wed 03 Mar 2010 19:20 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Most of the laws regarding such will be found on the laws page, http://fugitiverecovery.com/laws/ , and here in GA under 17-6-58 it states this: "Further more, subsection (c) establishes that no bail recovery agent shall wear, carry, or display any uniform, badge, shield, card, or other item with any printing, insignia, or emblem that purports to indicate that such bail recovery agent is an employee, officer, or agent of any state or federal government or any political subdivision of any state or federal government. A violation of this subsection shall be punished upon conviction as a felony punishable by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five years, or a fine of not more than $10,000.00, or both."

Basically don't have something, for example in GA, that says: "Gwinnett County Bail Enforcement" or "Atlanta Bail Enforcement" or anything along those lines. Something plain and simple is usually the safest way to be. Also, I'm not sure about the usage of state seals, but even if it is allowed, I would stay away from them because it could be misconstrued as an employee of the local or state government. Check out that link and read more about the laws regarding badges in other states. Plus I'm sure others will chime in their expertise as well.

There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything. - From the Hagakure

Post Posted: Thu 04 Mar 2010 05:22 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
federal law prohibits the use of state and federal shields; i.e., the federal eagle, a state flag, ect.

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Fri 05 Mar 2010 08:30 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
Experience: More than 10 years
Ben,

The law page on here http://fugitiverecovery.com/laws/ has some out dated info. Some states like Ohio have added or change some laws since then.

As for badges in Ohio, Well back in 2008 OSBAA got it where Licence Surety Bail Bonds Agents can wear badges that say " Officers of the Court " with the state seal.

Other then that badge, you cannot wear a badge that states " Bail Enforcement, Bounty Hunter or Fugitive Recovery Agent.

To do arrest in Ohio, you either have to be a license surety bail bond agent or a PI, period. Unless you are here from another state and you are the bonding company that posted the bond on that defendant.

That is going to change real soon also.

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post Posted: Sat 06 Mar 2010 13:00 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Outstanding, thanks for the update. In regards to the original question of this post, where can we find the most up-to-date info. regarding this?

There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything. - From the Hagakure

Post Posted: Sat 06 Mar 2010 17:05 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Experience: More than 10 years
From the State Statutes where you intend to operate, print a copy from the State maintained website for proof, interpretation, legal defense with the date printed. This information changes constantly and can be done by a law change or a rule change.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Sat 06 Mar 2010 18:36 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

I have a binder I keep in my car with copies of all my paperwork such as my GAPB certification, copies of all my licenses and recovery IDs, and bonding/bail-recovery laws. But I haven't updated anything regarding states laws and next time I go out of state will check and see if there are any changes in the laws. As Rick says, "be the boy scout".

Just out of curiosity though, I know most states just use the term "Bail Recovery Agent", but don't seem to care about titles of "Bail Enforcement" or "Fugitive Recovery Agent", is that because those are commonly used industry terms? Or something else?

Also, I was watching a video a few months ago on You Tube about Texas agents and at the door they announced themselves as "warrants investigators", are there any states that use that term? It's good to know what other states term/use to describe recovery agents.

Post Posted: Sun 07 Mar 2010 12:21 

Thanks for the info everyone! As for Utah they license us under the term Bail Enforcement agent for a licensed agency and Bail Recovery Agent and Bail Recovery Apprentice for those that work for an agency. Reddragon116, I also carry a binder with state laws but I also carry a copy of the bondsmans right to arrest which has shown to be very beneficial in those states where fugitive recovery is not regulated, it has saved me more than once. You can find the link for it here http://www.cbaa.com/docs/FBI.pdf

Post Posted: Sun 07 Mar 2010 15:43 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Thanks a lot, I've already read a good bit of it and am saving it for later. I plan on printing that and adding that to my "Smart Book". Thanks brother!

Post Posted: Mon 22 Mar 2010 13:11 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: 7 - 10 years
WOW, I’m in shock that a state will not allow you to carry a badge? I thought New York was crazy for making Security guards have "square" ones, and Conn you have to have just one type of badge only, They need to change there outlook for sure, can you have a Bail Agent patch on front in back?

Bail Agent#708126-Vermont
Advantage Bail Bonds of Vermont

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion