How to Be a Bail Bondsman • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: How to Be a Bail Bondsman
 Post Posted: Fri 30 Oct 2009 06:43 

How to Be a Bail Bondsman

By Lucinda Gunnin|eHow Contributing Writer

Bail bondsmen who write bonds and front money for the release of people being held on criminal charges. They stake their own funds, or the funds of their company, and get a certain percentage back on their investment. They also often hire bounty hunters, or act in that capacity themselves, to track down and apprehend fugitives who flee while out on bail.

Limited surety agent's license

Step 1: Check the laws of the state where you intend to work as a bail bondsman. Some states, such as Illinois, Kentucky, Oregon and Wisconsin, do not allow commercial bail at all, so it is not possible to pursue this career path in these areas. For further information about the laws of other states, visit: http://www.bailyes.com/baillawsbystate.htm.

Step 2: Contact the department of insurance for your state and ask for information about this career path and a listing of what schools might have bail-bond information, and about getting a limited surety agent's license.

Step 3: Attend all classes mandated by the state to work as a bail bondsman.

Step 4: Take the final tests needed in order to receive the appropriate licensing within the state.

Step 5: Submit copies of the newly acquired licensing information, along with personal information, to the department of insurance for the state.

Tips & Warnings

The work of a bail bondsman can be very dangerous at times, since they will deal with those accused of crimes on a regular basis.

Post subject: Re: How to Be a Bail Bondsman
 Post Posted: Fri 30 Oct 2009 21:37 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
I am thankful in many ways that I got into bail enforcement before deciding to write bonds. First off, I learned that defendants and their signers will often lie about all information they give you, from addresses, employment, income, and anything else that would convince you to get them out of jail.

Getting to understand this, and developing a gut feeling about a bond is vital. We are all in the business to make money, but we also have to consider that every bond we write is a liability. That is where most bondsmen screw up. They see the money coming in, but they don't consider the liability if it is a bad bond. When the person skips court and the bondsman can't find them, or can't pay another to do so, the bond becomes a major issue.

As a bondsman, if I do all of the research, then show up or send another agent for the apprehension, and only need backup or a local agent, I don't think I should have to pay a substantial amount for every agent that is involved. By the time I pay each of them the standard 10% plus expenses, I may as well have paid the bond. That doesn't mean that I won't pay for work performed, but that everyone needs to understand and accept the work involved, and charge accordingly.

Then again, some bondsmen only disclose a minor bond, where there may be several involved. It is up to the BEA to research the defendant and confirm all open warrants and bonds to determine the real liability. Bondsmen want the easy way out, and BEA's want the money. It is up to each to do what is necessary to save money and make money.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post Posted: Sat 31 Oct 2009 17:18 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2716
Experience: < 3 years
Kathy wrote:

“As a bondsman, if I do all of the research, then show up or send another agent for the apprehension, and only need backup or a local agent, I don't think I should have to pay a substantial amount for every agent that is involved. By the time I pay each of them the standard 10% plus expenses, I may as well have paid the bond. That doesn't mean that I won't pay for work performed, but that everyone needs to understand and accept the work involved, and charge accordingly.”

Here in Missouri, you can hold either a bail bond agent license or a surety recovery agent license. As a bail bond agent, you’re licensed to write bonds and perform surety recovery services, where as a surety recovery agent, you may not write bonds.

Most of the agents in Missouri are bail bond agents, and because our licenses allow us to perform both functions, most BBA’s run their own skips (at least in our company).

However, should I require the services of a surety recovery agent I would sign the contract with a single recovery agent or agency for the standard ten percent. First and foremost, it would made clear, up front and in writing, that no one gets paid unless there’s an apprehension made, and it’s made within the time frame specified by the court of jurisdiction. Secondly, if the contracted agent or agency spends more than they stand to make, then they just operated at a loss, unless the agreement clearly stipulates the coverage of certain expenses. And those expenses would be clearly defined in the contract.

All in all, it’s a lot cheaper and less hassle if I go get ‘em myself. Not to mention more fun! :mrgreen:

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

Post Posted: Sun 01 Nov 2009 09:15 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Not touting my posts but for a little more personal view ya might check out the recently bumped article... "NEW BONDSMEN: FACTS AND ADVICE"

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 03 Nov 2009 10:44 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
I was thinking of that Bill. All should read that thread . . . It is very very informative and Phill, If you could "stickey" it it would be apprecaited.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage