Concealed Carry • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 23 Sep 2005 15:37 
in memoriam

My vote is for the Sig P229 .40 cal. When it barks it bites.

“What is sought is found... what is overlooked escapes” (Oedipus Rex)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 23 Sep 2005 16:59 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I loved my P-12 (carried it off duty even had it customized so I could remove the entire slide without removing the guiderod and bushings, also got an extended beavertail on it, wish I didn't sell it)...

Single Action guns are rather quite safe. Multiple safeties... though it is not "soldier proof", most "problems" with single actions are user errors and not mechanical failures. The person that got me into single actions is a gentleman by the name of Mike Wells. Worked on the force with me, this guy was an amazing shot, vietnam marine sniper... if any of you has the death from afar series (out of print now but I think you can still get it ordered) you can see him in it standing next to his friend (the guy who wrote the series)... it was kind of creepy, he looked the same back in vietnam as he looked in the present. He didn't tell us about the book, one of the officers was an ex marine and had bought the series then showed it to us.

After several years of "having" to carry I have come to really appreciate compact weapons. The big guns are cool for tactical or duty situations but for concealed carry I like the smaller ones.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath."
- Kingdom of Heaven

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 24 Sep 2005 00:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Rex,

If you don't get a chance to see an XD here are some picks of both my service and my compact. Also a pic or two of my bladetech holster made for my service with mx3 light.

http://photos.yahoo.com/donpswain

click on the xd album (the ones with the pics of the firearms).

that lockbox is a ten dollar brinks lock box (pretty well put together actually) and filled with some foam which I cut out for the stuff you see. It is a multi level that goes like this:

1st level ammo, batteries, magazines...
2nd level the actual firearms and light
3rd level foam to hold all in place (between the cover and firearms, works great).

Bought the foam from wall mart as well as the box, all in all less than 20 bucks.

you can check out the reviews of the xd at:

http://www.hs2000talk.com/

Some of the better shot groups were like:

Various Quotes on accuracy using the xd-40 out of the box:

---
1.5 inch group
at 25ft two-handed weaver stance,
no leaning, rests or bracing of any kind.
10 rounds slow fire
180 grain FMJ Magtech
---
I don't know how tight a group I can shoot But I can Draw from cover and hit 2 IDPA targets in tactical sequence with 3 shots each 2 to the body and 1 to the head in five seconds
---
was at the range last weekend shooting at a military shiloette target. At 10 meters was 1.5 to 2 inchs from center, unsupported. 25 meters 2 to 2.25 meters unsupported and at 50 meters was just below the center in the standing supported
---
I shoot at home off of a rest to test loads and bullets for best accuracy, with my XD 9 Tactical 5 inch at 30 feet or 10 yards they are on top of each other, 15 to 20 yards 2 to 3 inch groups and 25 yards 3 to 3 1/2.

And this wk end at IDPA match on 7 targets in a (V) shape in Tactical order 2 shots in the center 14 shots 1 reload manditory, 15 seconds no miss, second string , same targets all head shots in any order no reload manditory 8 seconds no misses (0) it is very important I think to sand bag with your gun then free hand you might find you will shoot close to the same after you really learn your gun, I have had my XD about 3 wks and about 2000 rounds, I try to shoot in every way I can, strong hand weak hand , I would try up side down if I could stand on my head, I just love to shoot. all types helps you know your gun
---

As you can see a pretty decently accurate firearm.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath."
- Kingdom of Heaven

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 24 Sep 2005 07:00 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: More than 10 years
Wow Don! You're some shooter!

I have a better idea of what to look for, as I puruse gun shops--thanks a bunch!

Shooting at paper targets from a stationary position is one thing, but running through a tactical scenario with reactionary targets that go "plink" is entirely another.

The following is no jive....

I was handed an Old West style single action of a make and model that I had never fired before. The target was rolled out to 25-yards. I fired the weapon and hit dead center on the X.

Before being asked to repeat what was clearly a fluke, I quickly placed the weapon down and complimented the owner.

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 24 Sep 2005 07:34 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

LOL... those quotes were from other shooters... I never shot competition, though I am a decent shot.

Our dept. had a point system of a total of 250 points. With my duty weapon (that crappy sigma) I usually wound up throwing at least one round toward the outer edge of the "coke bottle".

That wasn't too bad because the damn sights on the things shot low and to the left. At about 25 yards you could not even hit the target aiming center mass. The firearms sgt. said it wasn't worth fixing the sights because they would just drift back. LOL.

Now with my P-12 I shot 250 out of 250 (has to qualify with both duty and off duty sidearm).

I was also the fastest on the "rapid fire" portion of the course (all rounds inside the coke bottle). You had to empty your weapon and reload in something like 5 seconds or so (15 round clip plus one in the chamber and reload)... needless to say I had plenty of time to spare. The sgt. used to joke that I must have modified my gun to shoot full auto.

I'm no marksman mind you, but I can hit my target pretty much where I'm aiming...(haven't had to shoot a soft target yet, hopefully I won't have to :-) )

I tell you what though, that marine cor sniper that was working with me (I always got pointers from that guy whenever I could) was a phenomenal shot... we used to joke with him saying if he ever got pissed off at one of us to let us know so we could apologize LOL.

- Kingdom of Heaven

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 24 Sep 2005 07:42 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: More than 10 years
Don,

Do you see what happens when you try to read while still half asleep :? ?

I apologize for not reading your reply properly.

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 24 Sep 2005 07:56 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

LOL no problem, I would LOVE to be able to claim some of those scores... in fact, if I had the money I would really like to participage in some of those shooting competitions (I met a guy on the beretta team once).

But alas, no money for that kind of stuff... sigh.

- Kingdom of Heaven

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 24 Sep 2005 08:37 

I carry a Kel tec 11 and love it! I carry concealed all the time and this the gun I am pretty much ues to carrying, however, I am looking to buy a revoler, 38 special, just to have one in my collection, now that I have read these post on the XD, I might give that one a try:-)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 24 Sep 2005 09:00 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Robert,

I am a pretty hard core single action fan but I must admit I do like my XD.... it took a bit of convincing for me to buy it instead of the compact 45 springfield I went in for but I am very happy with my purchases.

The only other firearm I think is just pure FUN to shoot is the walther p22. If I had an extra 800 bucks I'd buy all the little gadgets to go with the walther (laser sight, light, and suppressor) (I also own a ruger bull barrell 22 but that sucker is HEAVY and BIG)

- Kingdom of Heaven

Post subject: GUNS AND HOLSTERS
 Post Posted: Sat 24 Sep 2005 15:40 
in memoriam

As I said in a old post i am a 1911 clone believer-I personally carry a kimber pro carry 2 or a colt pro shop tuned commander in stainless with 3 eight round mags and 185 grain golden saber or sometimes black talon ammo-all + p stuff --hits hard.as far as holsters go i use mitch rosen custom leather iwb on duty with a sweat or polo shirt covering the butt--my son carries a sig 220(45acp) in a bianchi locking belt holster(you must hit the release to draw-natural motion and solid hold

in all my years the 45 acp has never let me down

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion