Vital equipment to start with • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Vital equipment to start with
 Post Posted: Tue 28 Apr 2009 20:29 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

I know that a list of equipment and suppliers was posted in the FAQ ( http://www.fugitiverecovery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8394), but I was wondering what equipment would the veterans consider absolutely vital for a BEA just starting out?

Mechanicsville, Va. 23111

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Post subject: Re: Vital equipment to start with
 Post Posted: Tue 28 Apr 2009 20:40 

RWB recently posted a long list of items on here. Dig a little and you'll find them. :wink:

Post Posted: Tue 28 Apr 2009 22:19 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2351
Experience: More than 10 years
A Bullet proof vest and dont go cheap its your life whats that worth to you. Other than that I would say and its not equipment its good advice get some experience under your belt dont run off trying to be the big BEA and get yourself hurt find a mentor or someone willing to let you work with them. You can go out and buy all the equipment you want and it wont do you any good if you dont know what your doing.

Omaha, Nebraska.

Post Posted: Tue 28 Apr 2009 23:03 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Training & set of cuffs and a partner you would go thru the door for.

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post Posted: Wed 29 Apr 2009 04:31 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
All great answers. I would suggest leg irons, also. The first time someone runs off wearing your cuffs, it will make perfect sense....or in my case, when you get a ticket for failure to maintain lanes, due to a subject kicking you from the back seat, you will wish you had them.

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Wed 29 Apr 2009 06:32 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1945
Experience: 5 - 7 years
I feel your pain. Having to call in local LE (and I do have a great working relationship with them in metro atlanta) for assistance because a subject you were after got away from you. The embarrassing part is having to give a description of the subject to about 20 cops (who all know you and in a good way). Whatever race they are, 5'11, 165, brown eyes, brown hair, wearing blue jeans and a white t-shirt. The supervisor says that matches about 50 suspects around this neighborhood right now. Then you continue by saying, " Yes sir, but this one has my cuffs on and behind his back". Makes you want to crawl in a hole. I slipped coming down a flight of steps with the bail jumper and let go of the chain on the cuffs just for a second. I swear by leg irons. They give everyone "short legs".

This may seem crazy to most of you. I have since invested in a leather 4' dog leash. I simply wear it around my waist ( I was a K-9 handler for some time in the past) and if I have to walk a 'rabbit' a long way to the suv when they are in custody, I simply clip the dog's end of the leash to the cuff chain and the other around my wrist. One since then has tried to jump and run only to end up flat on his back wondering what went wrong. It just gives you a little extra control walking a prisoner long distances and it's much easier than lugging leg irons from your vehicle, which may be nearly a half mile down the road. Besides, leg irons don't fit good anywhere but on your legs. A simple leather leash can be worn around your waist like a belt and used for many things. You can use it also to secure the legs of a window kicker by looping the leash around thier thighs and closing the leash in the bottom of your door for securement.

I know. Now I treat my skips like a dog, right !!!!!!!!!!!!

(678) 759-0530
Bail Enforcement / Recovery
Specialized Repossessions
"NSF" Bad Check Recovery
Extraditions

Post Posted: Wed 29 Apr 2009 08:30 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Since you are new, it is not wise to invest alot of money into this thing until you know for sure it's what you want as a permanent side job, or full time Bondsman's job.

Basic equipment:

1) Threat level 3a BP vest. Galls has some on sale right now for about $400. You may find used ones on E-bay, Craigs list, pawn shops, cop shops, etc. but you don't want one that is less than 3 yrs old. And stay away from the ones that were made in China. They were recalled due to failures.

2) Restraints- 2 sets of CHAIN handcuffs..not HINGED....Why ? Because HINGED cuffs cause nerve damage to defendant's wrists. 2 sets of leg irons. Dog leash is good advice as well.

3) 2 "AA" Mini-mag light---not the heavy duty 3-4 D cell maglights...instant lawsuit.

4) The advice about training and mentoring is absolutely dead on. Any other tools you think about purchasing may require state mandated training or product mandated training..such as Tazers, chemical agents, firearms, etc. This applies to cuffs as well. If you have no prior LE or Military experience, then you may be required to take a class in the proper use and application of cuffing techniques.

5) Laptop computer

6) GPS Device

7) Old Army Poncho--these are fairly cheap at any surplus store. Multiple uses...if nothing else, as protection for your vehicles interior. I can't stand placing a filthy defendant in my clean car.... :evil: also can be used as a ground cloth for surveillance out in the woods, instant camouflage, rain gear, etc, etc. Don't forget the Febreeze either.

8 GSW Specific Trauma Kit- this is 1 of the most critical pieces of equipment a BEA overlooks. If you get shot out in the field, you have to know how to self-treat until help arrives. Esp. if you are way out in the country. You make these yourself. You can use any kind of bag, small backpack, etc. as the container. Duct tape, diapers, tampons, small bottle of peroxide, and blood clotters from Galls is basically all you need to plug holes with until help arrives. Again, these are fairly cheap to put together.

Duct tape has multiple uses....instant restraints, mouth restraints for spitters/biters (pillow cases work well too according to Scott M.), vehicle breakdowns, etc.

These are just some basics.

Post Posted: Thu 30 Apr 2009 13:21 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Quote:
Duct tape has multiple uses....instant restraints, mouth restraints for spitters/biters (pillow cases work well too according to Scott M.), vehicle breakdowns, etc.

Is there a special type of duck ?

Post Posted: Thu 30 Apr 2009 13:35 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1945
Experience: 5 - 7 years
I have heard of Mallards. Ain't never heard of no "Spittin" ducks. Just the same, better tape up them peckers!!

(678) 759-0530
Bail Enforcement / Recovery
Specialized Repossessions
"NSF" Bad Check Recovery
Extraditions

Post Posted: Thu 30 Apr 2009 17:03 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
kittygrl wrote:
Quote:

Is there a special type of duck Tape?

:| + :mrgreen:

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion