Pepperball Guns • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Pepperball Guns
 Post Posted: Sun 13 Feb 2005 21:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
Experience: More than 10 years
I'm thinking of buying some Pepperball Guns but their expensive and I was hoping to get some feedback on how effective they are or aren't before I spend the money.

What kind of range and stopping power do they have ?

Any information about the PBG would be appreciated.

Post subject: pepper ball guns
 Post Posted: Mon 14 Feb 2005 01:04 
in memoriam

I HAVE NOT HAD THE CHANCE TO USE ONE YET-I SPOKE TO A FRIEND THAT WORKS AS TECH FOR TIPPMAN PAINT BALL GUNS -HE TOLD ME THAT PEPPER BALL AND PAINTBALL GUNS ARE THE SAME-NO DIFFERENCE-HE SOLD ME A TIPPMAN FOR 150.00 WITH 2 TANKS AND A FLAT LINE BARREL AND AUTO TRIGGER-HE SAID THAT WAS COST AND RETAIL WAS ABOUT 299.00.I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING IT WITH PAINTBALLS AND CAN STAY ON A 12 INCH PIE TIN AT 100 FEET WITH AIMED FIRE.

ONE PROBLEM I CAN SEE IS TRANSPORT OF THE SKIP WITH PEPPER POWDER FALLING OFF HIM- I WAS TOLD TO SPRAY THE SKIP WITH HAIRSPRAY TO LOCK THE POWDER ONTO HIM-NOT CRAZY ABOUT THAT IDEA-I HAVE SPOKEN TO A LOCAL PD THAT HAS USED THIER PEPPER BALL GUN AND THEY SAY TRANSPORT IN AN OPEN SQUAD CAR IS TOUGH - THEY ONLY TRANSPORT IN A WAGON SO THE DRIVER DOES NOT FEEL THE AFFECTS OF HE POWDER

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 14 Feb 2005 01:40 

HGUNNER is exactly correct in his post. Most LE offices use older model Tippmann markers. Normally they buy them as pepperball guns and spend 3x the retail cost.

I like the concept of using a sidearm paint marker such as the PT Xtreme. Just make sure that the barrel is .68 (some PB sidearms only support .50 or .48 rounds).

We have yet to move to pepperballs for the same transport issues as HGUNNER mentioned.

Matt Post
Omega Fugitive Recovery

Post subject: Be Careful
 Post Posted: Mon 14 Feb 2005 07:43 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
The use of pepperballs, to me, falls under the Less-Than-Lethal "LTL" aspect of BE work--in some ways like the use of electronic devices.

Many markers (it is politcally incorrect to call them 'guns') have adjustable velocity to keep the projectiles under around 280 FPS, which is very quick even for field games. The biggest danger is in accidentally shooting someone about the eye, which could cause death.

A Delta 68 retails for around $125.00 and can be had with a thigh holster.

One of the problems I see--even in high-end markers--is the ball chopping effect that sometimes happens. I'm curious what would happen if a marker was employed and a pepperball gets splattered inside the marker while being held.

As with all LTL devices, be very careful.

Rex

Post subject: Pepperball
 Post Posted: Mon 14 Feb 2005 10:38 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
Thanks,

I was wondering if a regular paint ball gun would work but forgot to ask. My dilemma is that I operate in PA, NY & OH but my Firearms Permit is only good in PA so I carry my OC & Stun Baton in OH but only OC in NY because of the different laws. It's not an issue when I have an Associate with me who resides in that State since they can carry there with their Permit.

I'm considering using LTL ammo (Rubber Bullets and Bean Bag Rounds) exclusively for BEA work but would apply the standard I would for lethal force since they can cause extreme harm.

Transporting the skip after he is covered in OC Powder is something I need to think about, being a former County CO I know that some of the CO's at the Jail would be less than pleased if they had to deal with a prisoner covered in OC Powder, they may even refuse to accept the prisoner until they were decontaminated.

Does anyone know if it's difficult to wash the powder off ?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 14 Feb 2005 14:49 

Rex,

From my understanding the pepperball has a more reinforced shell than the average paintball. If you look at a close photo of a round you can see this. They are supposed to be able to take pressures of around 350 PSI which I would never imagine marking anyone at that velocity.

You do bring up a good point in that a direct hit to the eye can kill a person and thus a pepperball should be used either indirectly or aimed at the abdomen. I would place it up there with a taser gun in regards to level of force.

Best Regards,

Matthew Post

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 19 Feb 2005 10:30 

I have been consdiering bean bags myself. However, I am curious about the "illegel discharge of a firearm" law. Does anyone have any ideas or know any laws concerning this?

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion