Could use some professional advice • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Could use some professional advice
 Post Posted: Wed 01 Nov 2006 20:07 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Hello and could use some advice. Been in the security business for a number of years in the technology end and considering starting a bail bonds business. Live outside of Los Angeles and see a huge trend of people going to jail. Thinking seriously about getting this started. Have really no idea how to begin the process. Are there any good books to read or schools etc in the southern california area to learn about bonding?
Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Big O

Post subject: personal opinion
 Post Posted: Wed 01 Nov 2006 20:18 

My personal opinion of sombody who knows their stuff would be Scott Olson and Bob Burton of the National Institute of Bail Enforcement their website is www.bounty-hunter.net scott olson's email is enforcement2@yahoo.com their phone # is (815) 675-0260. Hope this helps any other questions just email me.

Zachary Leaf
leaffugitiverecoveryagency@yahoo.com
IL-L302116

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 01 Nov 2006 21:09 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 567
Experience: More than 10 years
Both of the recommended individuals are a good place to start. Bob Burton also has classes on a regular basis in the Santa Barbara area. I would also highly recommend you take classroom traiining from a reputable person. California also has some specific training required for bail agents as well as bail fugitive recovery persons (as we are called here in CA). Check out the California Bail Agents Association website (www.cbaa.com) for the legal state requirements in CA. And another thing... DON'T give up your day job!!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 01 Nov 2006 21:31 

I might suggest getting with a local reputable company and trying to work for them for a couple years. Nothing beats real world experience. I know when we take on a new agent, we work with them step by step and encourage them to call in before writing bonds to let us go over everything with them.

You never know, you may like working for someone else for a while, not only to learn the ropes, but get your name and reputation out there. Then consider peeling off on your own later.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

MO

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 02 Nov 2006 04:44 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
There are several things you are required to do to be a bail bondsperson in California. Here is 1 of the many state recognized training centers that will certify you to meet all of the Cali requirements:

Ca. Certification/Licensing: www.link2education.com

Also, to answer your question regarding books: Bail bonds 101- a guide to starting and running a bail bonds business available through Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble. Additionally, Rex Venatar and Lance Wilkinson also have books available for self education.

Here are additional schools available to you:

N.I.B.E: www.bounty-hunter.net

Amherst Academy of Bail Enforcement: www.beagent.com

Pacific Northwest Bail Enforcement Academy: www.bailacademy.org

National Association of Bail Enforcement Agencies: www.nabea.org

Compass Point Investigations: www.compasspointpi.com

Bail Enforcement Civil Process Associates: www.fugitiveinvestigations.org

Blackwater USA: www.blackwaterusa.com

www.uenforcebail.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 02 Nov 2006 09:39 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Just want to say thanks for giving some direction of where to start the process. I used to have an insurance license years ago. The qualifications don't seem very intense for bail agents. Just some forms and some school. Once someone gets past the paperwork, what is the most successful way to market yourself? How does one compete with the hundreds of bail agents in the larger metropolitan cities, like Los Angeles (besides full page ads in the yellow pages, that cost thousands)?

Regards,

Big O

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 02 Nov 2006 10:21 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
And just who exactly is "BIG_O"
seems awful funny that there are some that are posting as themselves and then all of a sudden along comes an individual that states they are Anthony Oliver and then there is the "luvnbail" that states that they KNOW "A.O." and then one that posts as Anthony Oliver and NOW here comes a "BIG_O" - kinda suspicous to me :shock:

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 02 Nov 2006 10:23 

I have never worked or lived in a metro area, but I guess the ads would be the same. Business cards, yellow pages, ect...

Word of mouth seems to work for us really well. Seems that everytime you bond someone, and treat them right, they will use you again for themselves, their freinds, family and anyone else they happen to talk to that needs a bondsman. Cant beat that advertising.

MO

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 02 Nov 2006 10:37 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Big O:

All of your questions have been answered, repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly on this forum by dozens of authors. Please utilize the search function of this website and research your own answers. Most of these questions are answered in the topic:" BEA FAQ" and "Advertising".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 02 Nov 2006 15:56 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Big O,

If you worked fire and casualty years ago, the marketing and running an office is the same. Just different types of clients and fewer of them.

However, bail is only 2% of the CA insurance market. There are already 2500 bail agents in the state. More than half are down in SoCal. So you will be jumping into a market already saturated. Even still, there are many bail agents leaving the business each year.

Statewide only 20 to 30 percent of those arrested post a surety bond. Most are OR'ed or sit in jail. So if you see a lot of people going to jail, only 3 out of 10 bail out.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion