Just getting started in PA: Need some advice. • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Just getting started in PA: Need some advice.
 Post Posted: Mon 09 Oct 2006 15:20 

Gentlemen/Ladies:

My name is John, and I am currently getting started in the bail enforcement/private investigations business in PA. I am attempting to start my own business with 2 other associates of mine. We currently have a licensed PI we work with, basically mentoring us. We just finished the PATH, and OCAT class and are currently registering for ACT 235. The questions I pose to you expierenced individuals is:

What qualifications do I need to become a bail enforcement agent, I know licensing is coming however need to know what is current?

Is the business worth getting into?

Is there anyone out there that is willing to have a phone conversation, and answer some of my questions?

I am young, however am not some hot shot that wishes to be in full tactical gear storming people's houses. I come from an public safety background, and wish to get into this business. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I thank you for your time and help in this matter already!

Thanks!
-John
Harrisburg, PA

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 09 Oct 2006 17:07 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Contact Chuck Jordan, screen name BECPA. He is in PA and can answer any questions there.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 09 Oct 2006 20:51 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
Ditto.

Additional information is in the "BEA FAQ" topic. You may find it answering several of your questions.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 09 Oct 2006 21:14 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
Medic34

It seems that you are headed in the right direction as to Firearms and OC Training, however you must remember that training will be of no use unless #1. You get work and #2 know how to find people.

I'm over in the NW part of the State so I don't know much about the need for recovery services in your area, at one time I had a lot of skips in your area but the insurance company I do work for has been slow on cases lately.

Being affiliated with a private detective may be a plus, I suggest that you have the Private Detective get in contact with the local bondsmen to see if they need help tracking down their skips, start small, get results, stay out of trouble and the work will come.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 13 Oct 2006 11:07 

medic,

I totally agee with you. John, be patient, get the training and etc, it will come soon and always remember, the best advertising in this business is reputation and word of mouth. I have seen come and go quick because they lost patience. If someone gives you a skip, even though it may only be 200 to 300, and its local, take it. It will give you some experience and you will learn from any mistakes you do. And you WILL make mistakes, everyone does and or has and still does. NEVER let your mistakes get you down, learn from them and try it again. There are other ways you can catch fugitives, some tricks to the trade and I am sure you will get some good advice from some people here.

Post subject: BUSINESS
 Post Posted: Fri 13 Oct 2006 13:42 
in memoriam

hATE TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE--In my opinion pa will adopt very tuff bea laws this year--also there are way to many amatures and wannabees mucking up the water and undercutting pay also too many unscuplous bondsmen that will hire anyone to save a dollar--all of that creats a high liabilty situation and lack of trust by leos---very very bad time to try to break into this business--see what your legislators come up with and than spend your money on quality training that meets your states statutes--even then most that try to enter bea with no backround fail--hard facts tuff life most of us do not get to sit in the sun or on a beach or live on a tropical island- we drink cold coffee in a freezing car in the middle of a new england winter or we drink hot coffee in the middle of a southern summer watching a address for a pos to enter or exit only to find our snitch was full of ca-ca after we froze or sweated our butts off-if we are lucky we get to apprehend our skip and play musical chairs with our earned money from our bondsmen--and if we are very lucky we might make a profit on our skip but as i call bea work its a paid hobby--I wish you all the luck--by the way we have fun every day

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 13 Oct 2006 13:54 

Mr. Dorfman,

That was brilliantly said. John, Heed Mr. Dorfmans words. But you know what, after you drink that hot coffee and than need more, always remember, if you leave that car even for a second to go and get coffee, in the 3 minutes you are gone, your skip can come out while you are pouring that coffee, and if you have someone with you, and he is not trained or a plan is made, he comes in to get you and inform you the skip just left, by the time you get to the car and look, he can be in a car and 3 blocks away. Always Always Always make sure you take EVERYTHING you need when you do surveillance. I find a empty bottle is good for the P breaks that you do not want to risk getting out of the car or leaving incase the POS decides it is time to enter or exit.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 14 Oct 2006 14:12 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
That reminds me of an incident a few months back, my partner and I were doing surveillance on a skips house, a car pulled up and picked someone up from the house, from the distance we were at it was hard to tell whether it was our skip or what apartment he came from, so I sent my partner to follow the car to see if our skip was in it, while he was gone the skip came walking up the street, when I approached the skip he turned and ran, there's more to the story but I'll just say he out ran me and was nowhere to be found by the time my partner got there.

After many months of near misses my partner finally got him, I transported the skip to the bondsman and he told me that we walked right by him while he was laying down in a field we were searching the day he ran on me.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 15 Oct 2006 12:39 

Gentlemen:

Thank you for replying to my post. It is nice to know that people are willing to assist each other in this line of work. I think one big thing that will help me is that we are working with a Licensed PI, and plan on getting licensed also. I do however have some questions for you, if you could spare sometime to answer them. If you are unable, I also understand.

My questions:

What qualifications do you need to meet prior to considering yourself a BEA?

What type of identification do you utilize in PA?

How do local law enforcement interact with you?

What type of liability Insurance do you carry, and who is willing to work up a policy with us?

Do you see new regulations coming into play in the near future, and any idea what it will be like to become "licensed?"

Any input would also be greatly appreciated. I thank you for your time and help in this matter!

Thanks!
-John

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 15 Oct 2006 12:44 

John,

Hey, if you have yahoo or aol messenger, write to me at jctprotection .. no spaces , no underline scores.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion