Birminham, AL to hire Bounty Hunters • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Birminham, AL to hire Bounty Hunters
 Post Posted: Fri 01 Sep 2006 15:25 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2065
Experience: 7 - 10 years
http://www.al.com/search/index.ssf?/bas ... met&coll=2

ยป More From The Birmingham News

Wanted by Smoot: Bounty hunters
Wednesday, August 30, 2006
BARNETT WRIGHT
News staff writer
Bounty hunters would gain access to warrants and other data on 33 Jefferson County fugitives who skipped out on $1.8 million in bonds under a proposal discussed Tuesday at the Jefferson County Commission.

Commissioner Shelia Smoot said charges against the fugitives include murder, rape, assault and robbery.

"If the police departments are overwhelmed, let bounty hunters go in, kick down some doors, and let's take some criminals to jail," Smoot said. "If we know that known fugitives are out there we ought to go pick them up."

Advertisement

Smoot said the county should provide information to help round up criminals who have skipped court appearances and remain at large. She said 12 of the fugitives are from her district, which includes parts of Birmingham, Brighton, Midfield and Lipscomb.

Jefferson County Sheriff's Department spokesman Sgt. Randy Christian said Smoot's proposal raises questions about liability.

"I'm sure her intentions are good; however, bounty hunters are hired guns," Christian said. "As things are set up now, any liability is on the bail bonding company that hires these bounty hunters. I don't think there is any way in the world the taxpayers of Jefferson County want that liability on them."

Christian said a law enforcement officer operating in good faith has protection from that kind of liability. "If you let a bounty hunter go out here and make one mistake and kick in the door of the wrong house, or shoot someone that's innocent, the liability on the taxpayers is going to be astronomical," he said.

Webster Thomas, director of a group that goes after fugitives, said his organization would work in conjunction with the county and assume all risks and liability for the handling of felons.

"If something goes wrong it would be our company's own financial and personal responsibility," said Thomas, of Birmingham-based Tactical Solutions LLC & Alabama Special Investigations.

Others said they didn't have enough information to know how the program would work.

Commission President Larry Langford said he didn't have enough information to support the plan.

Smoot said a detailed proposal would be unveiled at Thursday's commission meeting.

She said the focus should be on getting criminals off the streets.

"We're talking about somebody walking around we know is involved in murder; we know is involved in raping a 12-year-old. I would like for them to be found and jailed," said Smoot.

E-mail: bwright@bhamnews.com

Anniston, AL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 01 Sep 2006 20:54 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Ooooohhhhh.. that's enough to ALMOST make me move to 'Bama!

Winner do what losers refuse to do...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 01 Sep 2006 22:20 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

And??

Anniston, AL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 02 Sep 2006 00:01 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
I don't see this happening with the opposition this councilwoman faces, but maybe some of the AL agents should check this out "if" they go through with it. I agree that it is a sticky situation and if LE is opposed, it could turn bad. Or, it could potentially be a good step-up for us as long as real pros were used and not idiots.

Hard to say what the effect will be until or unless it actually happens.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 02 Sep 2006 00:48 

Isn't that how Image said he got started!

Something about a judge told him that if he brought back people that FTA he would reduce the fines Image owed to the court.

And if you believe him I got a bridge in the desert for sale! Image

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 02 Sep 2006 01:03 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Mark,

I must be missing something, because your post makes no sense to me. Granted, I am now brain dead and heading off to bed, but please explain the missing names and circumstances so we all know who and what you are referencing.

Thanks,

Kathy

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 02 Sep 2006 12:31 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I don't think it would happen. Even if it did, you have a couple of bonding company's already there that have been working on this for a while. There is very little information regarding this. Not to mention, these fugitives have skipped out on $1.8 million dollars worth of bonds. Who bonded them out, and why haven't they gone to get them? But, this would make sense if these were property or cash bonds they were released on.

Anniston, AL

Post subject: similar things
 Post Posted: Sat 02 Sep 2006 12:44 
in memoriam

In different juridictions similar items were proposed ie one state proposed that bea be allowed to pick up ror skips and the beas fees would paid by county collected fines--again liability factors killed that proposal

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 02 Sep 2006 14:05 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Kathy he is talking about"Doggie Du Du".

This was already being done in Idaho where BEA's would go and check the warrants department and go looking for the fugitive. The system was set up on the Bond Forfeitures, the money collected from the Bail companies was used to pay the BEa's for their work but only upon capture.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion