Bail Agents File Claim Against Orange County Sheriff • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Bail Agents File Claim Against Orange County Sheriff
 Post Posted: Wed 25 Mar 2009 05:46 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
Experience: More than 10 years
By Christine Hanley

Three veteran bail bond agents have filed a legal claim against Orange County alleging that the Sheriff's Department allows gangs inside the jails to steer inmates to certain bail companies in exchange for kickbacks to the gangs.

In their claim, typically a first step to a lawsuit, the agents estimate that their businesses are losing $100 million a year because of the scheme, which is known in law enforcement circles as "capping."

"It's impacting my business and there's illegal activities going on inside the jails . . . to the detriment to the people who are playing by the rules," Bob Drake, one of the bondsmen who filed the claim, said Friday. "We suspect several companies. I don't know the exact number. That's not as important as the Sheriff's Department not going after and stopping the activity from occurring in the jails."

According to the bondsmen's attorney, Richard P. Herman, former Sheriff Michael S. Carona allowed his top lieutenant, former Assistant Sheriff George Jaramillo, to initiate the scheme, and current Sheriff Sandra Hutchens has allowed it to continue.

In a statement, the Sheriff's Department said it is in regular contact with leaders of the bail bond industry and will review the claims to determine if an investigation is warranted.

"If we are made aware of any illegal activity in our jails, we will take all appropriate action to see that it is stopped and those responsible are prosecuted," the statement reads.

christine.hanley@latimes.com

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post subject: Re: Bail Agents File Claim Against Orange County Sheriff
 Post Posted: Wed 25 Mar 2009 18:06 

must be a Democratic sheriffs office. good ole boys club...........

Post subject: Re: Bail Agents File Claim Against Orange County Sheriff
 Post Posted: Thu 26 Mar 2009 14:46 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
It is illegal here for "persons with detention authority" to refer one bondsman over another. It is also illegal for a bondsman to give anything of value to such a person or to a bail client as it would be considered a bribe.

That being said, I get referrals from inmates, current, and past clients all the time. I don't pay them, nor do I discount their next bond :roll: . The only reason I know this is because I often get told that I was referred by the people I bond. I am doing nothing illegal and they are doing nothing illegal. The jail is doing nothing illegal. Nobody is being forced to call me. If they were, or if I was paying for the referrals then it would be illegal.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage