SSA Purchases 147,000 .357 Sig.Hp Bullets/NOAA 46,000 • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: SSA Purchases 147,000 .357 Sig.Hp Bullets/NOAA 46,000
 Post Posted: Wed 05 Sep 2012 19:50 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... 81cebefedc

Quote:
Why does Social Security need 174,000 bullets?
By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER, Associated Press – 1 day ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — It didn't take long for the Internet to start buzzing with conspiracy theories after the Social Security Administration posted a notice that it was purchasing 174,000 hollow-point bullets.
Why is the agency that provides benefits to retirees, disabled workers, widows and children stockpiling ammunition? Whom are they going to use it on?
"It's not outlandish to suggest that the Social Security Administration is purchasing the bullets as part of preparations for civil unrest," the website Infowars.com said.
Another website, The Daily Caller, said the bullets must be for use against American citizens, "since the SSA has never been used overseas to help foreign countries maintain control of their citizens."
The clamor became such a distraction for the agency that it dedicated a website to explaining the purchase. The explanation, it turns out, isn't as tantalizing as an arms buildup to defend against unruly senior citizens.
The bullets are for Social Security's office of inspector general, which has about 295 agents who investigate Social Security fraud and other crimes, said Jonathan L. Lasher, the agency's assistant IG for external relations.
The agents carry guns and make arrests — 589 last year, Lasher said. They execute search warrants and respond to threats against Social Security offices, employees and customers.
Agents carry .357 caliber pistols, Lasher said. The bullets, which add up to about 590 per agent, are for the upcoming fiscal year. Most will be expended on the firing range.
Some bloggers have taken issue with the type of ammunition the agency is buying, questioning why agents need hollow-point bullets. Hollow-points are known for causing more tissue damage than other bullets when they hit a person because they expand when they enter the body.
The bullets, however, are standard issue for many law enforcement agencies, Lasher said, a fact confirmed by the directors of two law enforcement training centers.
"For practice ammunition, they do not have to be hollow-points, but hollow-points are the normal police round used for duty ammunition due to their ability to stop when they hit an object as opposed to going through it and striking more objects," said William J. Muldoon, president of the International Association of Directors of Law Enforcement Standards and Training.
"Six hundred rounds per year for training, qualification and I would assume to carry on duty is not out of line at all," said John W. Worden, director of the University of Missouri's Law Enforcement Training Institute. "Hollow points are carried by law enforcement all over the country and are probably the preferred type of ammo no matter what caliber."
The episode illustrates what can happen when a seemingly salacious tidbit gets amplified and embellished on the Internet.
A few weeks ago, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration had a similar dustup when it solicited bids for 46,000 rounds of ammunition and shooting targets, seemingly to arm workers at the National Weather Service. It turns out the notice had a clerical error and the bullets were for NOAA's Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement, the agency said.
Social Security's turn in the pillory hit a crescendo when Jay Leno joked about it in a recent monologue on "The Tonight Show." ''What senior citizens are they worried about?" Leno asked. "I mean, who's going to storm the building?"
Lasher said, "That's why we opened a blog post. We were getting a lot of inquiries and the blog gave us a vehicle to put all of the accurate information out there in one place, so that those who are interested or concerned can read what the real story is."
On the Net:
Social Security IG blog: http://tinyurl.com/d4qcb43

Post subject: Re: SSA Purchases 147,000 .357 Sig.Hp Bullets/NOAA 46,000
 Post Posted: Wed 05 Sep 2012 20:50 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Headline correction: Should read 174,000. Dyslexia acting up again. Sorry.

Post Posted: Wed 05 Sep 2012 21:19 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Maybe they are going to sell them to some folks down South ? You know, make a little quick illegal money to help refuel the coffers . . . . all kidding aside . . . Federal Agents are armed . . . and when investigating Frauds and people that do shady shyt . . . they should be.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Thu 06 Sep 2012 06:56 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
This is just another example of how the internet lets stupid people spread bogus information. All federal law enforcement agents (criminal investigators) carry firearms, after all they do investigate crime, serve search warrants and arrest warrants... :idea:

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post Posted: Thu 06 Sep 2012 14:16 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
I just bought 2 dozen jelly donuts and a 1/5 of Jack Black... but I am not an undercover cop with a drinking problem.... no conspiracy here....................... the donuts are for my daughter (she won't let me eat any of them) but the Jack is mine and frankly ... it will probably last me at least 6 months.... maybe... depending on how stressed out I get over this talk I have to give in Philly... I may drink it tonight... :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

BTW... I also am armed, but I only have about 500 rounds of varying calibers on hand.... I did have a flamethrower and a couple of grenades.... one time but alas... they are gone now.... used them up at a party back in... uh.... '63 I think............... what a "blast".............. 8)

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Thu 06 Sep 2012 16:59 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
I don't need a flame thrower, I will just allow my wife to eat Hummus again...

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Fri 07 Sep 2012 10:07 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Scott, now we know why you always come to these conferences ALONE!

Post Posted: Fri 07 Sep 2012 11:32 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3671
Experience: 3 - 5 years
No we don't, Tony! He doesn't get away that easily! Deb and I would like to meet MRS. MacLean!

Ca. Bail Agent Lic#1845795
Owner/Operator, Thomas Duprey Bail Bonds
Owner/Operator, Orange County Bounty
(714) 727-4689

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage